Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-10-2011, 11:05 AM

Default To tow or not to tow...

Another thread got me thinking about this, and rather than threadjack that one which is interesting and informative I thought I would start another.

I have always towed people out of the ditches, even went so far as to install a hidden winch in my Bumper because it is far safer, easier, more gentle, etc.

My question, having towed countless people out of the ditch, is where do you draw the line? I am not talking about safety or damage to the vehicle, I mean when you pull up, walk to the vehicle in snow up to your ankle/knee/ballz, and they roll the window down 1" so they dont get snow on their phones. Or hairdo, or murse.

I have never taken money from anyone but have several times told people "I will tow you out, you attach the hook to your vehicle. If I have to lay in the snow to do it, it is $50.00"

Being me, I can not just drive by if I see someone in the vehicle, I have to see if they are ok. I admit I like helping people, and have the vehicle to do it, but damn I hate these lazy (most teenage boys) idiots.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-10-2011, 11:07 AM
sheephunter

I've handed many people a winch cable and said "hook it up" If they are physically able and not wearing a dress, they can hook up the cable or stay in the ditch.....their choice.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:08 AM

Depends on what im wearing on my feet. Boots ill hook it up its easier, shoes ill pass them the recovery strap, or tow rope depending on the situation.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:12 AM

Default same

I will never pass a vehicle that needs assistance but like you I am concerned with damaging their vehicle so insist they do the hook up to the stuck vehicle and assume the liability for finding "frame". I have also stopped and offered to call or make sure they have a phone for a tow truck realizing that someone stuck in 4 feet of snow low in the ditch my Silverado is not going to pull them up the bank. Always amazes me how few people are prepared for a problem in winter driving. Poorly dressed, no boots, no tow strap or cable and haven't got a clue with the plastic front ends where to hook up if they need it.
I generally have large cables in the truck since I don't like tow straps or chains breaking.
rob
Old 01-10-2011, 11:13 AM

I am not as liberal as sheephunter for if the guy is wearing a dress he is staying in the ditch.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:14 AM

I actually pulled a guy out a couple weeks ago. He had a 2 wheel drive Dodge truck and was spinning the back wheels.

I stopped to ask if him and his buddy needed help. Said they'd been there for the past 3 hours trying to get it out.

Neither of us had a tow rope so I actually drove to Canadian Tire, got one and went back and pulled him out.

I figured it would be a good idea to have a tow rope in my truck anyways.

Didnt take long and the two guys were very happy. They offered me a few dollars they had but I didnt take it.

I always pull over and ask if people need help. If its someone who obviously wasnt paying attention or just being a douche then I'll make sure they're fine but wont offer to pull them out.

No way I want to pull out a BMW and risk breaking something.

This past fall I was out in Sask hunting birds with my family. One night while driving around the back roads looking for a cell phone signal, I ended up backing into a ditch. My truck was stuck real good and obviously wasnt coming out without a tractor.

While I waited 15 minutes for my cousin to pick me up, I think almost every vehicle that drove past stopped and asked if I needed help. Something that you just dont see living in the city.

Long story short, a case of beer and a 26 oz bottle of Rye later and my truck was out of the ditch the next morning after our morning bird hunt.

Farmer didnt ask for anything even though I know he had to remove his auger from this tractor.

Chuck Norris and Mr. T walked into a bar. The bar was instantly destroyed, as that level of awesome cannot be contained in one building
Old 01-10-2011, 11:33 AM

i pulled a guy out on time when i lived in bc, he thanked me immensely as he and his girl had been stuck on this back road for a couple of hours. after i put everything away, he goes to drive by me and just pins the gas causing his truck to fishtail right into my passenger door, smashing it in. i get out to check out the damage, he jumps out and just starts freaking out. he called me every name under the sun and told me that because he had a witness (his girl) he was going to the rcmp and have me charged with dangerous driving, and that i would have to pay for the damage to his vehicle. i pointed out to him there was no damage to his vehicle other than a smudge of red paint from my old 85 ford, my door however was completely caved in. i didn't make a big deal out of it as i like to see the glass half full in life, the only real damage was just cosmetic and didn't affect the drivability of the vehicle. i would love to know what was going through that guys head though, maybe it was just a show because we were way out in the boonies alone and i was twice his size and he was worried i'd be mad... who knows.
having said that i still pulled 11 people out last winter when i chanced upon their misfortune. the only time i refuse to help is if they are drunk, which i haven't run into yet.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:35 AM

I was told by a RCMP just after I Towed some out of the ditch one late sat night that they could give me a ticket for doing so. crazy
Old 01-10-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Mikee View Post
Long story short, a case of beer and a 26 oz bottle of Rye later and my truck was OUT of the ditch the next morning after our morning bird hunt.
Hope that's not how it got IN the ditch!

I will help if I can, but I am not prepared to damage my own vehicle, so it better be a minor situation. As others have said, unless it is a 90 Y/O woman and you are 100% sure you are not going to wreck anything on their car, let them hook the cable/strap/chain themselves.

Once ripped the bumper half off a little Toyota with my 76 Blazer - pure awesomeness - because the guy didn't want to crawl on his hands and knees in the mud (didn't mind driving in it though...) so he just wrapped the choker cable around the bumper. I just got out of my truck and said "Hmmmm. That didn't work."
Old 01-10-2011, 11:50 AM

Location: i have a home in calgary however i live as much of my life as possible in the woods

I just got inside after towing a silly girl off of the snow covered railroad tracks behind my office. She said she thought the railroad crossing sign was a no ladders sign. I laughed at her and popped her out. It would have been easier if after I put her car in neutral she did'nt pop it into park. Still dragged her out no problem. She thought park and neutral where the same cause her car would.nt move in either one. I told her to test that theory while stopping on a hil.
She said she was coming back with a case of beer, I told her to make a donation to the food bank. She said, "but they did'nt get me unstuck"
Some people.
At least she was cute.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky_hunter View Post
I was told by a RCMP just after I Towed some out of the ditch one late sat night that they could give me a ticket for doing so. crazy
I have pulled 2 RCMP cruisers out of the ditch, and righted a vehicle at an accident once with my winch. It all depends on the LEO.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-10-2011, 12:22 PM

I think the reasonable thing to do is to HELP the stranded person, not DO FOR them. Totally reasonable to hand them the rope or the shovel.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelhooker View Post
I just got inside after towing a silly girl off of the snow covered railroad tracks behind my office. She said she thought the railroad crossing sign was a no ladders sign. I laughed at her and popped her out. It would have been easier if after I put her car in neutral she did'nt pop it into park. Still dragged her out no problem. She thought park and neutral where the same cause her car would.nt move in either one. I told her to test that theory while stopping on a hil.
She said she was coming back with a case of beer, I told her to make a donation to the food bank. She said, "but they did'nt get me unstuck"
Some people.
At least she was cute.

Haha...that gave me a chuckle. I guess in a way she was right, as I'd never want to be stuck on a ladder in the middle of a train track!

I live right in the city on a small side street, right on the corner. In the past 2 days I've helped about 5-7 people who get stuck when they slow down in the deep snow. I've now just left my shovel out front so if ppl need it they can use it....

Problem usually is that the vehicles that get stuck and a guy COULD help town them out are often hook-less. But yes...I always try and stop and help ppl if they are in need.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:26 PM

Some times it's good to help out, other times not.

Anybody driving around in this province at this time of year should at least cover themselves first with shovel, driving axle snow tires, half tank of gas or better, winter clothes/boots/gloves, GPS that will tell exact location, a tow rope or strap, and know how to securely attach their own end of the strap to their own vehicle.

Otherwise, they should not be driving. Regardless of age, physical condition, or whether they're late for that extremely important horse fashion show at Forest Lawn or getting in line first before all the other parents to pick up the damn kids or whatever.

If people aren't willing to do the basics first, there's no way I'm going to put my own ass in a noose helping out some dummy.

Liabilities abound. If anything breaks, or was broken before, or anybody gets hurt, today's mentality is that YOU will be held responsible, and possibly sued. Maybe even before you finish plucking them out of the ditch. The cops will ticket you for causing a traffic hazard - maybe even if they're the ones you helped tow out. And you better have a business license if you help somebody for cash. Otherwise you could be charged five different ways to Sunday from complaints by everybody from Revenue Canada, to local bylaw officers, to the local labour union.

Maybe when you're over behind 'their' car hooking up a tow chain for them, they'll just circle around, conveniently jump into your truck and drive it off to a chop-shop. Leaving you in deep snow, staring at your own tail lights as they disappear into the distance. If they're nice enough not to put a knife into your ribs first. Could happen.

At a minimum, if they flag you down and ask, you could take down details and volunteer to call a tow truck or cops, etc, either immediately or when you get to where you're going. They should be able to survive that long.

In remote areas, where it looks like the driver was doing everything right, or where there is some freak occurrence like a collapsed bridge or avalanche or train derailment or really deep ditch where reasonable caution and a shovel just isn't enough, it would make sense to help out more. Especially if it looks like all the shoveling in the world won't help.

Even then, though, it might take special equipment like a crane to get things right.

Last edited by BallCoeff.435; 01-10-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:42 PM

I will always lend a helping hand if someone needs a tow. I have yarded a few people out of the ditch and a few off the lake too. What comes around goes around and you will probably need a hand one day too.

Two weeks ago I was up north I ended up in somewhere I never should have been. I was the one looking for a hand. After a couple hours of shoveling we decided we werent getting out. The first vehicle that came along stopped and offer a helping hand. A few minutes later we were back on the road and going again. These guys were actually fellow AO members out hunting elk so I am suprised pictures havent popped up on here yet. These fellas wouln't even take any money for their good deed. They said eventually every one needs a hand.

THANKS again to the boys from Fort Mac that were elk hunting in the Peace Country!

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 01-10-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
When I still had my jeep I pulled a few people out of the ditch. I was warned once by the RCMP that I could be fined for not having an orange beacon on my vehicle.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
I will always lend a helping hand if someone needs a tow. I have yarded a few people out of the ditch and a few off the lake too. What comes around goes around and you will probably need a hand one day too.

Two weeks ago I was up north I ended up in somewhere I never should have been. I was the one looking for a hand. After a couple hours of shoveling we decided we werent getting out. The first vehicle that came along stopped and offer a helping hand. A few minutes later we were back on the road and going again. These guys were actually fellow AO members out hunting elk so I am suprised pictures havent popped up on here yet. These fellas wouln't even take any money for their good deed. They said eventually every one needs a hand.

THANKS again to the boys from Fort Mac that were elk hunting in the Peace Country!
That`s the WAY as my buddy used to say.The WAY means you help out if you can without worrying about recompence.I always figure if it was my wife or Mom stuck I would hope some one would help them.I pay it forward.That`s the WAY.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:02 PM

heh that reminds me, I pulled a snap-on truck out of a steep ditch with my 1977 CJ7, must have hit that rope 30 times. It actually tore the 3/8" steel plate on the jeep, but I got the huge truck out of the ditch.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelhooker View Post
Some people.
At least she was cute.
Wow. Makes a guy wonder how some people function on a daily basis. Good on ya for pulling her out.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 01-10-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
Hope that's not how it got IN the ditch!

I will help if I can, but I am not prepared to damage my own vehicle, so it better be a minor situation. As others have said, unless it is a 90 Y/O woman and you are 100% sure you are not going to wreck anything on their car, let them hook the cable/strap/chain themselves.

Once ripped the bumper half off a little Toyota with my 76 Blazer - pure awesomeness - because the guy didn't want to crawl on his hands and knees in the mud (didn't mind driving in it though...) so he just wrapped the choker cable around the bumper. I just got out of my truck and said "Hmmmm. That didn't work."
Nope. I dont drink so wasnt a problem.

Pitch black outside and parked on the side of a road next to an aproach for a farmers field. I tried to back my truck into the field approach but two tires on my passenger side were on some wet grass. Truck slid down the side of the approach into the ditch. Water up past the top of the rear tires and the truck was sitting on close to a 45 degree angle.

Drivers side front tire was almost off the ground so I didnt want to fool around too much trying to tow it out of the ditch in the dark.

Gave it a quick try with my cousins 1/2t Chev but all 4 wheels were spinning on the pavement trying to get my 3/4t diesel to move. 10 seconds using a farmers John Deere the next morning was all it took to get my truck out and safely back onto the road.

Chuck Norris and Mr. T walked into a bar. The bar was instantly destroyed, as that level of awesome cannot be contained in one building
Old 01-10-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
I've handed many people a winch cable and said "hook it up" If they are physically able and not wearing a dress, they can hook up the cable or stay in the ditch.....their choice.
x2..
Old 01-10-2011, 02:13 PM

I generally have a rope/chain with me and have pulled people out of the ditch on several occasions. A few years back, my wanker neighbor (which you will understand why I call him a wanker now by the end of this) got stuck in his driveway. It is an acreage subdivision and the edge of a long driveway after a heavy snow can be difficult to ascertain.

Anyhow, he managed to run his minvan off the driveway and get it good and stuck. I was on my way home from work and I noticed them standing there digging. Actually, he was standing there, but his 6-7 month pregnant wife was digging the van out (wanker reason number 1). I slipped home, got my tow rope and came back. Now I am coming straight from work and I am still in my work attire, which is a suit and tie. They look at me after I hook up my truck, standing there with the other end of the hook and then they look at the minivan. Of course there is no hitch. So, they in their snow suits watch me in my pinstripe suit dig out to their axle and attach the rope. I pull the van back on to the driveway and then have to remove the tow rope from both vehicles. Not even a thanks (wanker reason number 2 and 3).

The following summer, he is parked at the end of his driveway standing there. I have to drive right beside him so I ask if something is wrong. He says he is out of gas. I go and get a jerry can, bring it over and he offers me $5 (for a 20 litre jerry can). I politely refuse and tell him just to leave it at my garage and drive off. Now what would you do? I would fill my vehicle, go to the gas station and fill the jerry can up. I suspect most on this board would. However, I offered freely and he offered some cash so I didn't expect that. When I get home, I don't see the jerry can anywhere. I ask my wife if the wanker left the jerry can by the garage. Nothing. 2 days later I ask my wanker neighbor about it. He says he left the empty can at the end of my driveway (motion to appoint neighbor as official wanker - unanimously passed).

Cheers.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:49 PM

Just razzing you Mad_Mikee.

I did the same thing with earlier mentioned Blazer once. Turning around on a side road after dropping off a friend. I backed up to the ditch thinking if I got stuck I would just throw the hubs in and drive out. Turned out that the grassy ditch was completely under cut and the truck just dropped. Managed to break the drive shaft weld. Told the old man and he handed me a socket set and a couple wrenches and said to go take the drive shaft off and drive it home with the 4 wheel engaged. He's a practical thinker.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:18 PM

On my last trip back to BC during the first awful snow storm we received, I made it there and back without a single problem...no close calls, no white knuckle moments...no winter tires. Why? Because I drive like a sane human being and pay attention to what I'm doing. So...I have a hard time accepting that everyone in the ditch is there due to unavoidable circumstances. That being said...sometimes ***** happens, and I understand that. So I did tow a couple out of the ditch just before McBride, they were from Czech Repub on their way to visit family in P.G. for Christmas...ok, good deed done. On my way back home in that blinding storm, one lane traffic on the Yellowhead...just outside of Wabamun with vehicles in the ditch left and right...I see two dark figures walking down the side of the highway flagging down a ride...it is a whiteout blizzard, after 6pm dark horrible conditions...these two have a death sentence walking down the side of the highway like this, but I figure maybe they're stuck in the ditch and need a ride to the nearest gas stop to call for help.....NOPE, they were hitching it into Stony for liquor and by the time I figured that out they were already in my vehicle.
Sucks, but I've learned my lesson, and the potential for a poor outcome for me in that situation has made me rethink lending a hand. I'm with BallCoeff.435 now. Circumstances for me to lend a hand will simply have to be perfect from now on. But if you're holding a AO members card...I'll move the world to help if I can....short of that, you're on your own and I hope you learned a lesson.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Highway was probably declared a no tow zone, so you don't get run over by some idiot, highballing it. I don't mind helping out, but cars nowadays are not designed designed for towing. I guess they figure we all live in Arizona

Grizz.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:11 PM

Default No knots!

I always help too. I'll supply the pulling power two strap and shackles if I can find them but you hook up and no knots, ever! I have never had to deal with a woman, I guess I'd do it for her. I had a guy upside down crying in his vehicle so I hooked on and turned him right side up. My mother bless her heart was with me and a veteran city dweller didn't think I should have stopped. Like the Rabbi and levite I guess.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:09 PM

I ususally help anyone that I can be it a boost, a push, pull, drive there vehicle out, change a tire, and even helped a very nice old man that had the tire come off the the bead on his knock off quad picking bottles. I have walked down to a few vehicles in the ditch in the cold to make sure no one was in there or to make sure they were allright. I really enjoy helping the elderly they seem to appreciate it the most. I run the rule you hook it up as well or if I have to it is on them. I also won't abuse my vehicle past a certain point and will tell them flat out if I don't think I will move it.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:07 PM

i usually try to help out, but same here, you hook your own vehicle, and if you are there foolishly, you hook mine to so i don't have to get out of my truck. I agree with not taking payment, and don't care to ask who you are, just pass on the good deed. I did find it a little hard on the jetta this summer pulling out a friend's minivan, the clutch smelled a little hot. What is the deal with these little wannabe suv's not having tow hooks? I had to leave a lady in a small suv stuck this winter because she had nothing to hook on to, she thought maybe we could loop something around her hatch, if not for legal issues, this would have probably been fun. but she appreciated the try regardless, and i'll stop again until to many people become ungrateful.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by couleefolk View Post
i usually try to help out, but same here, you hook your own vehicle, and if you are there foolishly, you hook mine to so i don't have to get out of my truck. I agree with not taking payment, and don't care to ask who you are, just pass on the good deed. I did find it a little hard on the jetta this summer pulling out a friend's minivan, the clutch smelled a little hot. What is the deal with these little wannabe suv's not having tow hooks? I had to leave a lady in a small suv stuck this winter because she had nothing to hook on to, she thought maybe we could loop something around her hatch, if not for legal issues, this would have probably been fun. but she appreciated the try regardless, and i'll stop again until to many people become ungrateful.
precisely why you let them hook it up themselves... make sure you state your not responsible for any damage done
Old 01-10-2011, 06:31 PM

I have pulled a few out and drove away from a couple. Always stop and ask if someone needs help. Although after the number of vehicles with summer tires stuck on the side roads due to the snow in Edmonton this last week I may change my mind on this.

Best of the pull outs was a couple of old ladies that went off the road down by Hanna one summer and got tangled up in some brush and the farmers fence. My buddy got underneath to hook up the tow rope and found they had dragged a long dead deer from the ditch with them. He was pretty green getting back to the truck. We escorted them to Hanna and just before getting in checked to see how they were doing. They said there was a bad odor and we recommended the local garage (we knew the handy man) for an under carriage wash.

On the no's I have seen a few early morning fellows in the ditch. When you check they are physically ok but still have not reached the hang over stage so they stayed put --- took a phone number and made a call for them--- safer that way for everyone.