Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-30-2022, 01:56 PM
Banned

Thumbs up Liberals say they're not trying to ban hunting rifles. Here's why that's a lie

Liberals say they're not trying to ban hunting rifles. Here's why that's a lie

Last week, the Liberals quietly introduced an amendment to a piece of gun control legislation that would ban thousands of Canadian hunting arms, constituting the largest single gun ban in Canadian history. After the amendment became public, Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino announced he had “no intention whatsoever” of banning hunting rifles or long guns.

The problem is, Mendicino’s claims aren’t true at all. Even a cursory look at the list quickly reveals that it’s chock full of purpose-built hunting arms, many of which have likely never been near a battlefield or crime scene in the last 100 years. While prior Trudeau government gun bans at least attempted to only select firearms that had “assault-style” aesthetics, this new list proposes to criminalize hundreds of rifles and shotguns that are low-powered, slow to fire and only ever designed to shoot birds, deer or skeet.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...ing-rifles-lie
Old 11-30-2022, 02:51 PM

It has nothing to do with whether it is a lie or not. It's about getting that headline out there. For the average person that is enough to convince them.
Old 11-30-2022, 03:26 PM

They aren’t trying to ban hunting rifles, they are doing it
Old 11-30-2022, 04:41 PM

There is no try. Only do.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-30-2022, 05:07 PM

It makes my stomach turn when I still watch him say “we aren’t going to ban any hunting rifles”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2022, 05:08 PM

Here is why it's a lie, their lips were moving!

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 12-01-2022, 01:48 PM
Banned

Exclamation

Should be a law with penalties for knowingly lying to parliament!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av-8LX-RiB4
Old 12-01-2022, 03:02 PM

I appreciate that you guys are willing to fight the gun ban, but if you really want to have some weight against the government you need to have the first nations fighting by our side. I strongly encourage everyone to contact the Assembly of First Nations and contact every bands individually to rally them by our side. They are just as affected by this ban as we are.
Old 12-01-2022, 03:24 PM

Of course they are lying firearms confiscation is part of the Liberal DNA

Alan Rock - "the only people who should have guns are the police and the military"
Iggie (Ignatieff - not Iggy Pop) "strict and relentless gun control"
It has been entirely evident where we were going with the current gang of AHs since their polling/marketing firm found out that they could gain major support in Toronto and Montreal by making "gun control" a major issue.
No interest of course in crime prevention... that would be too hard and would take some actual thought and work.

Everything you own is on the table
Old 12-01-2022, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st99 View Post
I appreciate that you guys are willing to fight the gun ban, but if you really want to have some weight against the government you need to have the first nations fighting by our side. I strongly encourage everyone to contact the Assembly of First Nations and contact every bands individually to rally them by our side. They are just as affected by this ban as we are.

I know several natives on the rez still use Norinco M14 7.62x51 because they were given an exemption, if these are not hunting rifles why did they get a exemption?

Anything can be used for hunting
Old 12-02-2022, 12:14 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Why Does The Government Want To Ban The Ruger No 1? And Why Are They Lying About It?
A Lawyers Take:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYAha0XmfjY
Old 12-03-2022, 01:01 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

For the sake of national unity, Liberals should drop hunting rifle ban*

The gun control legislation threatens to deepen the divide between rural and urban Canada

OTTAWA — Canada’s firearm classification system would baffle students of Byzantium, but even the uninitiated can figure out the fundamental unfairness in the government’s proposed amendments to its gun control law.

The Conservatives claim the Liberals are intent on going after hunting rifles in a sneaky amendment that was not in the original Bill C21 that was debated in the House of Commons.

The public safety minister, Marco Mendicino, has said the government has “no intention whatsoever” of banning hunting rifles.

After watching testimony before the public safety committee on Thursday, it is fair to say neither position reflects precisely what is going on.

What is much clearer is that this is a ridiculous way to make public policy. For the sake of national unity, the government should drop an amendment for which there appears to be no need. If there had been, the provisions would have been included in the original bill.

But handguns are the public safety problem, not hunting rifles, and their pursuit makes it look like the Liberals are trying to ingratiate themselves with urbanites who don’t like any type of guns, at the expense of rural Canadians, for whom firearms are integral to their lifestyle. And that is quite apart from the soaring cost of a buy-back that will likely run into billions of dollars.

https://nationalpost.com/news/politi...ting-rifle-ban
Old 12-03-2022, 02:27 PM
Gone Hunting

The problem with John Ivison is that he is either woefully uninformed, not very bright or only pretending to be on the side of firearms owners.

Among other things that point to this, there is this statement he made;

Quote:
and that is designed to accept a detachable cartridge magazine with a capacity greater than five cartridges of the type for which the firearm was originally designed.
Think about that for a moment.

If they are designed to accept a detatchable magazine then they will accept any magazine that will fit and work, whether it was designed for that specific rifle or not.

I have a Mossberg Plinkster that I lost the magazine for. Magazines for that rifle are very hard to find.
No problem magazines made for the Savage models 4M, 34M, 65M, 93, 93R17, Striker and 982MDL will work just as well in the Mossberg Plinkster.

Or is he saying it was designed to accept a magazine with a capacity greater than five cartridges, yet it was not originally designed that way?

Was it altered? If that is what he meant he needs to learn how to express his thoughts.

Or did he mean the magazine could hold cartridges that the rifle was originally designed for? No kidding!

But the bigger issue I see with his article is that he omits facts which are clearly true and clearly a part of the intentional deception the government is using.

Such as he does here;

Quote:
It sounds like some but not all semi-automatic hunting rifles will be caught up in the government’s dragnet if they are powerful enough
It has nothing to do with the rifles power if they are going after .22s, which they are in fact doing.

Did he not understand what a .22 is, or did he conveniently miss the implications of that fact?

I freely admit I don't trust anyone involved in the media.

If they wish to win my respect they need to do a lot more then write about things they do not understand.

George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by KegRiver; 12-03-2022 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-03-2022, 03:31 PM

You know your in some kind of clown world when the NDP sides with the conservatives. Not sure it's going to matter in the end...

https://youtu.be/0dq6nAdEqjs
Old 12-03-2022, 04:36 PM

I'm most impressed by them going after Ruger #1 assault rifles, or as the PM likes to call them WEAPONS OF WAR (capital letters to make them more scary)
Kinda tells you everything you need to know.
Old 12-03-2022, 05:01 PM

I had a very interesting and enlightening conversation with a Firearms Officer of the Alberta Chief Firearms office at the gun show in Stony Plain this morning. I told her my story and how C21 will affect me. She asked me to compose an email and send it to the Alberta Chief Firearms office. I wrote a nicely worded letter and sent it this afternoon.

We had quite a long talk. A lot of what was said should not be said on a public forum. I found out a few things the the liberal government is and has done to undermine the independent Provincial Firearms Offices in Canada. (Not the ones still under the liberal government’s boot.)

The dirty tricks are abhorrent. The liberal government does not have the authority to govern because of their ndp under writers. In democratic countries, this is not allowed. Thus…we are not living in a democracy. And the cronies on the so-called firearms advisory committee are spoon feeding the government a lot of deception.

BTW, the one thing I can reveal is the plan to target reloading next.
Old 12-03-2022, 05:14 PM

Default NDP response to my letter of concern

Thank you for writing to share your views regarding the recently proposed amendments to Bill C-21.

Since the Liberals introduced this last-minute change to their firearms bill — introduced without New Democrats knowledge or consent — many hunters have raised concerns regarding the potential impact of these changes. We are taking these concerns very seriously and are pressing the government for clarity on how this will impact hunters.

The goal of this legislation was to get dangerous handguns off our streets, not criminalize hunters. Again, we will continue to press the Liberals to ensure that hunters, farmers, and Indigenous people are not targeted by these changes.

What's more, we will not support amendments to the Bill that ban guns primarily used for hunting or protecting farm animals from predators. We will not support amendments to the Bill that do not respect treaty rights and the rights of Indigenous people.

There is still time to do this right and you can rest assured that your concerns will inform our actions on this important legislation.

What a load "primarily used for hunting " who gets to decide?
Old 12-03-2022, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cove View Post
You know your in some kind of clown world when the NDP sides with the conservatives. Not sure it's going to matter in the end...

https://youtu.be/0dq6nAdEqjs
The problem is the opposition is sure doing a crap job of getting the liberals to explain how many hunting related shotguns and rifles fall into their definition of “assault rifles designed to kill large numbers of people”

I would love to see a Liberal with even a replica of a Ruger 1 explain how it’s designed to kill the most amount of people possible in a short amount of time

Sadly with the **** poor defense the opposition is bringing forward no wonder Canada is a mess
Old 12-03-2022, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
I had a very interesting and enlightening conversation with a Firearms Officer of the Alberta Chief Firearms office at the gun show in Stony Plain this morning. I told her my story and how C21 will affect me. She asked me to compose an email and send it to the Alberta Chief Firearms office. I wrote a nicely worded letter and sent it this afternoon.

We had quite a long talk. A lot of what was said should not be said on a public forum. I found out a few things the the liberal government is and has done to undermine the independent Provincial Firearms Offices in Canada. (Not the ones still under the liberal government’s boot.)

The dirty tricks are abhorrent. The liberal government does not have the authority to govern because of their ndp under writers. In democratic countries, this is not allowed. Thus…we are not living in a democracy. And the cronies on the so-called firearms advisory committee are spoon feeding the government a lot of deception.

BTW, the one thing I can reveal is the plan to target reloading next.
Yeah because of the prevalence of reloading amongst criminals. These laws aren’t about preventing crime or gaining votes from uninformed people, the push is on to disarm the population. So what’s their long term plan?
Old 12-03-2022, 08:37 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
The problem is the opposition is sure doing a crap job of getting the liberals to explain how many hunting related shotguns and rifles fall into their definition of “assault rifles designed to kill large numbers of people”

I would love to see a Liberal with even a replica of a Ruger 1 explain how it’s designed to kill the most amount of people possible in a short amount of time

Sadly with the **** poor defense the opposition is bringing forward no wonder Canada is a mess
Forget the assault weapon nonsense. It's a red herring.

There is no such thing as an assault weapon.

Any weapon and many non weapons can be defined as such depending on how one frames their definition.

For example a barbecue fuel tank could be made to fit the definition by saying it has been used to kill many people at one time.

That's really no different then saying Ruger #1 is a assault weapon because one was altered in a way that made it loosely fit the definition.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-03-2022, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Forget the assault weapon nonsense. It's a red herring.

There is no such thing as an assault weapon.

Any weapon and many non weapons can be defined as such depending on how one frames their definition.

For example a barbecue fuel tank could be made to fit the definition by saying it has been used to kill many people at one time.

That's really no different then saying Ruger #1 is a assault weapon because one was altered in a way that made it loosely fit the definition.
The whole ban is a joke and support none of it. It’s just ridiculous that they are not getting properly called out on the simplest things

With such weak opposition we are screwed
Old 12-03-2022, 09:04 PM

Quote:
The whole ban is a joke and support none of it. It’s just ridiculous that they are not getting properly called out on the simplest things

Unfortunately the opposition has been calling them out on it but you won’t see a second of it on the tv news and very little in any printed news.
Old 12-03-2022, 09:14 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

I totally agree.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-03-2022, 09:19 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
Unfortunately the opposition has been calling them out on it but you won’t see a second of it on the tv news and very little in any printed news.
Maybe so, but if they cared they would make sure the word got out.

U-tool and flitter are good for more then sharing gossip.
And there is always Rebel News

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-03-2022, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Maybe so, but if they cared they would make sure the word got out.

U-tool and flitter are good for more then sharing gossip.
And there is always Rebel News
I’m not on Facebook but I’m on Instagram and I see all kinds of videos about the gun stuff from media not getting paid by the Liberals, plenty of footage of the conservatives calling them out on it and not getting answers. Most people get their news on the tv, its not like CBC is gonna ask Pollievre what he’s gonna do to stop Trudeaus attack on legal gun owners. Far too many people don’t care anyways, apathy and complacency is everywhere
Old 12-03-2022, 09:32 PM

Quote:

It doesn't matter what the opposition does, the liberals don't have to prove that the banned firearms meet even their own definitions. They draft up the legislation, and their lap dogs the RCMP classify the firearms, and draft up the list to be banned.
Old 12-03-2022, 09:48 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
I’m not on Facebook but I’m on Instagram and I see all kinds of videos about the gun stuff from media not getting paid by the Liberals, plenty of footage of the conservatives calling them out on it and not getting answers. Most people get their news on the tv, its not like CBC is gonna ask Pollievre what he’s gonna do to stop Trudeaus attack on legal gun owners. Far too many people don’t care anyways, apathy and complacency is everywhere
I don't have much to do with most social media sites but I have no doubt you are right.

I know you are right about most people not caring.

I would add, those people are the majority and they let the media especially CBC make their political decisions for them.

A sorry state of affairs.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-03-2022, 10:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Not needed at all....this tail has been wagging the dog long enough, thank you
Old 12-03-2022, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Of course they will demand exemptions, and Trudeau will give them those exemptions, watch and see. And it won't hurt their feelings, if they are the only ones left with legal firearms.

The precedent has already been set.

https://www.aptnnews.ca/national-new...er-section-35/

Quote:

Indigenous hunters will be excluded from Canada’s sweeping ban on 1,500 assault weapons announced Friday.

“There will be an exception for Indigenous people’s exercising a section 35 hunting right, as well as those who use the weapon for hunting to feed themselves or their family,” said Justice Minister David Lametti.

“They may continue using firearms that were previously non-restricted for these purposes until a suitable replacement can be acquired.”
And of course that statement doesn't give a date that the replacements have to be acquired by.
Old 12-04-2022, 03:27 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
And of course that statement doesn't give a date that the replacements have to be acquired by.
If a replacement is required then it's not an exemption, it's an amnesty.
They will still take the gun, one way or the other.

George Bernard Shaw