Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-30-2022, 11:35 AM

Default Bore Snakes

Anybody use them ? I broke both the 28ga and 20ga first time I used them today. The brass stop was poorly crimped on and popped right off. Warranty centre harder to get help than phoning the Post Office.
Old 11-30-2022, 11:43 AM

I never pull from the brass stop... I think it's only there to provide weight to drop the string down the bore.

Since my hands are kinda arthritic, I wrap the cord around a stick a few times and then pull slowly and steadily, using the stick as a handle. Has worked for me so far...
Old 11-30-2022, 12:05 PM

Trying to actually remove stubborn fouling with one of these is just like using a hula hoop to wipe your butt…….

Admittedly I used to carry a 12 ga boresnake under the seat of the truck, but they are like a teat on a male pig for clearing a bore obstruction.

A cheap multi piece rod set, is the same price and 27x’s the tool a boresnake is for bore obstruction removal.

If you actually want to remove the stuff your naked eyes can’t really behold, nothing beats a proper coated 1 piece rod, and the like.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-30-2022, 12:15 PM

Nice to have to clean snow or something out of a barrel while you are in the bush, but, that's about it. They hold grit in the string, which doesn't turn my crank too much. If you are looking for a cleaning rod and can't find a store with stock on what you want, look up Plenty o' Patches in Leth, he'll have everything you need. I just had to get a rod out of him as I needed one for a CZ457, bore was to small for my Parkers, and I loaded up on rod adaptors and jags, as well as a new rear bag.
Old 11-30-2022, 12:24 PM

I use them for my shotguns, but never for my rifles. And I have trimmed some of the loose strands at the front, as they make the fit tighter than I am comfortable with.
Old 11-30-2022, 02:26 PM

I have one for emergencies only

Like, if I need a 40" piece of rope or something....
Old 11-30-2022, 03:27 PM

I use them but first rule is to tie a tail rope on them so if the pull rope breaks you have reverse. For shotguns a section of parachute cord works very well.

The other thing is the 28 ga boresnake I own came from the factory too large to be usable. I un-stitched the threads holding the section of rope that was doubled back on itself inside the snake. Then added the right amount of nylon rope to the inside of the now longer bore snake and had my wife stitch the new ropes into place with her industrial sewing machine. Works fine now, but I'd have said it was a 20 ga rope...not a 28 ga...as it came from the package. But it did say 28 ga on the brass weight.

When I pull them through, I double wrap the tow rope around my hand and run the rope under my foot with a shoe on back up to the shotgun barrel. Then just pull up on the shotgun. Seems to cut down on the torque needed to use the snake. And I also cut or burn off some of the fluff at the start of the snake. They seem to get too large.
Old 11-30-2022, 04:14 PM

I keep a few around for clearing out a muzzle full of mud or snow. Willow stick to loosen most of it, followed by a bore snake, gets you back in the hunt. More of a problem with shotguns, where you are shooting multiple times. With my rifles I retape the muzzle after every shot.

Also used them on multi day shooting/pest control sessions with the shotguns and 22s, seems like it helps but I’ve never tested it to confirm

Never had any problems, but mine are all 5-10 years old. Maybe new ones have poor QC
Old 11-30-2022, 05:01 PM

I think they work great. Just run them through once.

Then take a straight rod with a wet patch or two, run it through. Then a few dry patches and you get a very clean bore.
Old 11-30-2022, 05:05 PM

Got mine off eBay for $3 each brought a few extras for back up . Cheaper then then cabelas like $20 each .
Old 11-30-2022, 05:25 PM

Got mine off eBay for $3 each brought a few extras for back up . Cheaper than the ones at cabelas like $20 each .
Old 11-30-2022, 07:11 PM

For emergency clearing of barrel I prefer the Otis as it is a coated cable
Old 11-30-2022, 08:55 PM

Default This was motivated

Out of convenience of having a pull through in each gauge after a days hunt instead of changing brushes on a rod. The warranty center in Canada is a joke with one tech who is too busy to take calls and a receptionist who is still paranoid and blaming covid for being short staffed. I may just return them all to Bass Pro. Will see if someone sells Otis in Alberta.

Last edited by Pioneer2; 11-30-2022 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-30-2022, 10:00 PM

I've got them for a 12g, 22 and .35. They're not bad for a quick clean but don't replace a thorough patch and rod job. Most of the grit is contained in the first few inches of the bore snake, past that it's relative clean.
Old 12-01-2022, 08:04 AM

I’ve carried one of these for years. But to prevent needing it. Tape your rifles muzzle.

https://www.atsko.com/rapid-rod-gun-cleaning-rod/
Old 12-01-2022, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
I’ve carried one of these for years. But to prevent needing it. Tape your rifles muzzle.

https://www.atsko.com/rapid-rod-gun-cleaning-rod/
I remember seeing those, pretty cool.
I carry a simple multi piece aluminum rod for emergencies, but also tape my muzzles, and as i tend to hunt a lot of slippery side hills, tape has proven very efficient way to keep crap out of the muzzle!
Cat
Old 12-01-2022, 08:50 AM

I hunt with a taped muzzle, but I have a small coiled cable pull through in my hunting pack, in case I somehow get snow or mud forced into the muzzle anyways, or if the rifle should somehow be submerged. While not solid, it can actually be pushed through the barrel if required, and it coils up, for compact storage. I have never had to use it.