Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-30-2022, 09:18 AM

Default Reloading kit advice?

Hey everyone, I’ve been tossing around the idea of taking up reloading for a while now and am finally ready to pull the trigger. I’m mostly looking for a prebuilt kit that I don’t have to piece together a bunch of extra parts, there’s 2 kits in particular that I’m looking at, the RCBS Rebel reloading kit, and the Lyman ultimate reloading system. Both look like fairly solid kits, the only reason the Lyman is in question is because it’s on sale at the moment. just curious if anyone had any real world experience with either of these or just general opinions on the kits. I will not be “mass reloading” just out shooting with some friends a couple times a month.
There’s also a cheap lee kit but the fact that it is so much cheaper makes me weary.
Links to all 3:
https://www.cabelas.ca/product/10228...loading-system
https://www.cabelas.ca/product/15000...-reloading-kit
https://www.cabelas.ca/product/3534/...y-reloader-kit
Old 11-30-2022, 09:41 AM

Lyman and RCBS both make quality gear. I’d lean towards that Lyman because of all the stuff coming with it. Pretty darn complete.
Old 11-30-2022, 09:47 AM

I’m still using the rockchucker kit I bought when I was 18 years old. While I have added many other gadgets I have never found the original press lacking as well as the hand primer tool and scale.
Old 11-30-2022, 12:03 PM

I'd have no issues with going with the Lyman kit for that price, their press is a good one, you get more of the accessories you need, the scale is better than what comes with the other two, trimmer is a good one. Nothing there you won't use regularly. I'd check what you need to use a drill on the trimmer, maybe later check out an RCBS 3 way trimmer head for it (X-Reload keeps them.). Acquire a beam scale as a backup.

RCBS has their cheapy scale in it, and a powder thrower which is really only properly useable with flake and ball powders, which aren't always suitable for a given rifle cartridge. I'd want a beam scale and a Chargemaster with that kit, and a trimmer.
Old 11-30-2022, 12:27 PM

I personally would not buy a kit, I have favorite tools, and would make up my own kit. I am still using the same Rockchucker that I bought over 40 years ago, but I have changed out pretty much everything else over the years.
Old 11-30-2022, 01:48 PM

Default Complete newbie

Are these kits pretty much what is needed outside of powder, bullets and primers?
I have two rifles, 30-06 and 7mm Rem and stock factory ammo has been close to zero for two years. Starting to lean the 'load your own' way but I have zero experience.
Old 11-30-2022, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearski View Post
Are these kits pretty much what is needed outside of powder, bullets and primers?
I have two rifles, 30-06 and 7mm Rem and stock factory ammo has been close to zero for two years. Starting to lean the 'load your own' way but I have zero experience.
Some kits don't include case trimming tooling, which you will need, and they all require dies and shellholders.
Old 11-30-2022, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I personally would not buy a kit, I have favorite tools, and would make up my own kit. I am still using the same Rockchucker that I bought over 40 years ago, but I have changed out pretty much everything else over the years.
This too, reload with a buddy and you will develop your own preferences.
Old 11-30-2022, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot82 View Post
Hey everyone, I’ve been tossing around the idea of taking up reloading for a while now and am finally ready to pull the trigger. I’m mostly looking for a prebuilt kit that I don’t have to piece together a bunch of extra parts, there’s 2 kits in particular that I’m looking at, the RCBS Rebel reloading kit, and the Lyman ultimate reloading system. Both look like fairly solid kits, the only reason the Lyman is in question is because it’s on sale at the moment. just curious if anyone had any real world experience with either of these or just general opinions on the kits. I will not be “mass reloading” just out shooting with some friends a couple times a month.
There’s also a cheap lee kit but the fact that it is so much cheaper makes me weary.
Links to all 3:
https://www.cabelas.ca/product/10228...loading-system
https://www.cabelas.ca/product/15000...-reloading-kit
https://www.cabelas.ca/product/3534/...y-reloader-kit

My advice is a bit different. I say buy the kit you can afford. The kits will all give you the tools to make high quality ammo. The only practical difference is speed. Electronic scales, powder throwers, electronic dispensers, turret presses, case prep centres, etc will make the process go faster. But they cost more.

But you said you aren't doing a lot of volume so speed isn't going to be important for you especially when starting out. It's accuracy you want.

When starting out you want to do it right. Doesn't matter if it takes an hour to make a few rounds at first. Reloading isn't difficult but you need to figure out a safe protocol that works for you.

If you want to do more reloading or want to do it faster once you figure out a safe process, then that's the time to consider changing your tools. But learn to walk before you run.

My 2 nickel's opinion which you are free to ignore. Your mileage can and will vary.
Old 11-30-2022, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Some kits don't include case trimming tooling, which you will need, and they all require dies and shellholders.

Got it, thanks. The education continues.....
Old 11-30-2022, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Got it, thanks. The education continues.....
Shellholders are cheap, and each one can do multiple cartridges, dies vary greatly in price, from $50 to $400 or so, depending on what you want, and you need a set for each cartridge. And you need measuring gear, as in a dial calipers.
Old 11-30-2022, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Shellholders are cheap, and each one can do multiple cartridges, dies vary greatly in price, from $50 to $400 or so, depending on what you want, and you need a set for each cartridge. And you need measuring gear, as in a dial calipers.
The Lyman he is looking at has callipers.
Old 11-30-2022, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
The Lyman he is looking at has callipers.
That is rare with kits, as is bullet pullers, which are a good idea, but I much prefer a collet puller, over the intertia puller. I also prefer Imperial sizing wax, as opposed to the lubes that come with both kits, but it is cheap. The one item that I actually find frustrating to use, is the LEE scale, it has no damping, and is very crude, and a good friend actually refused to use his, because he had no confidence in it. He bought a used RCBS scale from me, and fine tuned the LEE with a 10lb sledge hammer.
Old 11-30-2022, 09:36 PM

-Buy a good press (RCBS rockchucker) Like Elk said it will last several lifetimes.
-DO buy several reloading manuals.
-Buy a good scale (EG:RCBS 10-10) it will pay for itself many times over.
-Reloading dies, another call out to big green, Others use different brands and they all seem to work fine. (once you decide to go down the rabbit hole farther) you can spend $$$$$ on better tools.
*DO NOT buy a hammer style bullet puller unless you don't care what you projectile looks like once you deform it from hammering it into the floor.
-You can build your own powder dippers BUT Lee makes a great set to get you started.
- A small powder trickler is nice but far from required.
- Trimmer, I prefer Wilson but they are a bit more money unless? your going to really get into the reloading game? then they are so worth it. Otherwise RCBS or Forester build pretty good quality machines.
-- electronic gismos, and all the other fancy stuff is nice but .........
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 12-02-2022, 02:02 PM

Quote:
I bought a Lyman Ideal press and found it entirely inadequate for bullet pulling with a collet puller. It just won't generate enough power to pull 30 cal bullets. The handle is too short and the compound levers are too. The Lee press in the other kit posted by the OP looks to be the same. Don't know much about the RCBS Rebel press but I know if you start out with a Rock Chucker you'll never be disappointed. More money but for good reason.
The Lyman Ideal also has a shorter ram, so has a smaller opening to work with long action cartridges like your 30-06 or 7RM.
Old 12-02-2022, 02:45 PM

I ended up purchasing the lyman kit on Wednesday, waiting for it to arrive with some of the other things I bought with it (dies,cases,bullets, etc.) I will update this with my thoughts as a brand new reloader once I have a few rounds loaded so I can be the Guinea pig for people wanting to get into reloading in the future.
Old 12-02-2022, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
I bought a Lyman Ideal press and found it entirely inadequate for bullet pulling with a collet puller. It just won't generate enough power to pull 30 cal bullets. The handle is too short and the compound levers are too. The Lee press in the other kit posted by the OP looks to be the same. Don't know much about the RCBS Rebel press but I know if you start out with a Rock Chucker you'll never be disappointed. More money but for good reason.
The Lyman Ideal also has a shorter ram, so has a smaller opening to work with long action cartridges like your 30-06 or 7RM.
The Rebel press is an updated Rockchucker, it opens a bit more, and has a larger mounting surface.
Old 12-03-2022, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
If you have the room on the bullet to do it, try pushing it in a few thou to break the cold weld, then it should pull a whole lot easier for you. The Ideal, the Lee version of it, are not meant for any stressful apps, and bullet pulling can be that at times. Stuck cases can spring those presses, along with the aluminum O presses as well. If you feel like you need to put a snipe on there, don't, go get a stuck case kit.
Don't think a person can go wrong with a Rebel, has good primer disposal which the Rockchucker shud have had many years ago. MEC is excellent that way as well, and the floating shellholder, which in my book, is another improvement over the Rockchucker, and over the Rebel.
Old 12-03-2022, 03:04 PM

A kit may not be a bad way to start. I started with a cheap kit from Lee, and have since replaced everything from it mostly with RCBS and a few pieces of Lyman. I now have a RCBS Rockchucker, and I definitely would not want to go back to the Lee press. Never tried the Lyman press, I have no doubt that it works well. It's a hobby I really enjoy. You're going to want to keep some disposal income on hand, and when you see the components you need don't hesitate! I have a few places I check in with and if they got it I buy it!
Old 12-03-2022, 03:07 PM

There are a few setups for auction on dec 10/22 a@ wards auctions...idk but maybe some members can put a yes or no on the setups and a fair price...add 20% to the hammer price
Old 12-03-2022, 03:33 PM
Gone Hunting

I started with a LeeLoader 40 years ago.

They are as basic as you can get and the cheapest way to get into reloading.

Over the years I have added tools from almost every brand, all of them worked well and all have lasted for many years.

My last acquisition was RCBS Rockchucker kit which included a Chargemaster powder dispenser electronic scale combo and a Trim Pro case trimmer.

They are the only parts of the kit that I kept.

So now my main setup includes a Lee Turret press, an RCBS automatic power measure electronic scale combo, an RCBS case trimmer and a Lee Autoprime primer tool.
That setup is in my opinion the best for my purposes and all I will ever want or need.

The rest of the tools were acquired as I learned and could afford them and are a mix of brands including RCBS, Lee, Layman, and Redding.

I have two other primer tools that I seldom use two other scales that I use only to double check the accuracy of the Chargemaster and one Lee single stage press.

If I were getting into reloading for the first time I would choose a RCBS kit and change out those tools that didn't do as well as I hoped or that I didn't like, as learned more and as I could afford it.

BTW I still have the LeeLoader and it still works.

George Bernard Shaw