Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-08-2013, 05:02 PM

Default Chironomid Tying

Hey guys,

So I've recently added fly tying to my list of addictions and started with chironomids, mostly out of relative ease of tying and my previous success with fishing them. I've done my homework on a lot of the basic patterns (holo tinsels with wire ribs, frostbites, flosses, ice cream cones, etc) and I understand the basic colours (black, brown, red, green, etc). My problem is that I get utterly carried away tying every combination I can think of in various sizes. I bought the Scientific Anglers 210 nymph box (the one that holds the indicators and shot as well) and was hoping that I could use that solely for chironomid fishing. At the pace I'm going, I'm going to end up with two problems.. I won't be able to fit them all in there and half of them won't be necessary.

Just wondering what your opinions are on which ones are actually worth carrying or what your chironomid boxes look like. While I do enjoy tying them up regardless, I'd like to focus my efforts into what will be most productive. I still have some ideas from various websites that I'd like to try out, but again, don't know exactly which ones will produce well.

I think what would be awesome would be to see some kind of collection of photos of the actual bugs that we have here in AB (specifically SW Alberta) rather than just searching for various pictures of species that we may or may not have here. That being said, searching patterns obviously work just as good as imitations lots of times, so exact matches probably aren't that big of a deal.. but does something like this exist?

Anyways, thanks for any posts, if this has been brought up elsewhere feel free to point me to it. Thanks.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:14 PM

pretty hard to pass up utc70 grey thread body, blk or red rib,ice cream cone # 14...hard nails finish
Old 06-08-2013, 05:29 PM
AO Sponsor

So you have a tying addiction! Welcome to the club!
I went through the same thing back in the 90's with chronies and I still have hundreds of them sitting in little boxes waiting for the time when I will scrape the materials off and re-use the brand new Tiemco hooks.
My thoughts on chronie species is this: they are pretty much the same across the planet: black, green, brown, tan..... in sizes from 8 - 18 usually. Each lake will have a particular tendency for sizes and colors on occasion but more often it seems what the fish prefer. On many of the lakes I fly fish on some lakes catch more fish using dull dark patterns, while other lakes produce best on brighter chromie styles. This is where you'll need to become familiar with a lake and pump stomachs and try different patterns(basic ones first) and different depths. Always fish close to the bottom and work your way up. I've got fish in 40 ft of water sometimes. I have become a huge fan of shiny midges with red ribs. My boxes have about 12 regular proven patterns I use plus all the other junk that rarely sees water.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:56 PM

Same hear,ive got 2 full boxes, but ive learned over the years size, color and depth are very important.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:57 PM

I ran into the same problem with patterns about ten years ago. The solution I came up with is "GENERAL" box of chronomids which are the most productive for most waters. Then smaller boxes for my favorite lakes, for intense, this past weekend was fishing Roche in Kamloops and bombers were hatching. When you see #6 chronomids hatching, you realize that is all the fish are eating cause there such a huge food source. better have em.

Anyways, as others have stated. For successful chronomid fishing make sure you perfect the following.
1. fly color, rib and size
2. Depth
3. Presentation

One trick i use with success, is the big apple concept. I always use a fly that is 1 size bigger than the chronomids hatching with exception to anything smaller than a size 18. Such as the granny smith.

HAVE A BLAST TYING and FISHING. Chronomid fishing can be very rewarding.