Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-26-2014, 10:32 AM

Default Fishing in Akumal (Mayan Riviera)

Just wondering if anyone has any experience fishing around Akumal? Heading there with the family the second week of April. Me and the brother in law want to head out deep sea fishing while we are there, just wondering if anyone has any experience/reviews with any of the charters out of Akumal. Looks like April -June is the best fishing. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 02-26-2014, 10:37 AM

Have a look at capt. Ricks, you can Google it and have a look, I was in December nd caught 6 fish in 4 hours, great guys!
Old 02-26-2014, 02:46 PM

That is one of the charters we were looking at. Depending if it is only the two of us we may give the akumal dive shop charter a go, $150 for a 3 hour trip and $50 an hour for each extra hour.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:37 PM

My brother and I booked a smaller outfit once out of Puerto Morelos, which is north of Akumal. Thought it was a great deal $300 for 6 hrs but the first 2 hours we spent fishing for bait. We didn't know this up front so be careful unless fishing for bait interests you. Finally got out on the open water and ended up with just one big amberjack. It was still a great experience to see my brother catch his first ocean fish. Then had it cooked up at the restaurant at the dock.

Couple other times we booked with Capt. Rick's and went on shared trips for I think $150 each. Boat is shared with 6 people that you don't know and take turns at bringing fish in, if fishing is slow they set up on the reef. Both times we did this half the people got sick while we were out there, so we ended up taking their turns at the rods. Dorado and barracuda mostly, no bill fish though, but we weren't fishing in prime season for them.

And, don't pack any bananas in your lunch on the boat. Bad luck!
Old 02-26-2014, 03:55 PM

I fished twice out of Peuto Morales Area. One day our boat caught a couple nice Mahi Mahi and lost some marlin. The next time out... had a bunch of short hits and one small bonito. I talked to the guys on board an asked when the best fishing is. They said around the full moon in May. Going back next month but not planning on fishing since I don't have any luck in March.

Good Luck.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 02-27-2014, 02:22 AM

I travel and fish this area 2 times a year if I can.

If your staying in Akumal head over to the Akumal dive shop and hit up the guys. They will take you out fishing and you will likely get a boat to yourself unlike the bigger outfits in the area that take groups fishing unless your do a solo charter. Captain Ricks in Puerto Aventuras is not bad but they prefer to mix groups together if they can and in using them twice in the last 5 years we had one just ok day and one day with no fish…

The guys at Akumal dive shop will take you out to troll for Sails, White Marlin, Wahoo, King mackerel, Barracuda etc…

Or you can get them to drift a reef just offshore (the most fun IMHO) bottom fishing for Yellowtail Snappers, Red Snappers, Gag Grouper, Strawberry Grouper and a long list of assorted and fine eating species. They will supply the bait and equipment).

You can also bring along your own spinning gear (Use braided line and Saltwater Leaders and bring a pair of needle nose pliers!) and use 10lb line at the very least and flashy spoons (Silver works great) and fish from shore by wading out upto your knees or a bit more for Bonefish (Tons on the shallows of the bay), Mangrove Snappers, Jack Crevalles, Permit (Some big), Needlefish, Barracuda, Pompano and asst'd snappers. You DO NOT require a license to fish from shore in Mexico but you do to fish from a boat (The guides will supply that for you in your cost).

They guys will typically charge $150 for 2 hours… and they supply water, pop and Beer. Or you take in a free evening on the public beach in Akumal (Just stay away from the snorkelling and swimming areas). But have fun!!!

Last edited by wake; 02-27-2014 at 02:29 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wake View Post

If your staying in Akumal head over to the Akumal dive shop and hit up the guys. They will take you out fishing and you will likely get a boat to yourself unlike the bigger outfits in the area that take groups fishing unless your do a solo charter. Captain Ricks in Puerto Aventuras is not bad but they prefer to mix groups together if they can and in using them twice in the last 5 years we had one just ok day and one day with no fish…

The guys at Akumal dive shop will take you out to troll for Sails, White Marlin, Wahoo, King mackerel, Barracuda etc…

Or you can get them to drift a reef just offshore (the most fun IMHO) bottom fishing for Yellowtail Snappers, Red Snappers, Gag Grouper, Strawberry Grouper and a long list of assorted and fine eating species. They will supply the bait and equipment).

You can also bring along your own spinning gear (Use braided line and Saltwater Leaders and bring a pair of needle nose pliers!) and use 10lb line at the very least and flashy spoons (Silver works great) and fish from shore by wading out upto your knees or a bit more for Bonefish (Tons on the shallows of the bay), Mangrove Snappers, Jack Crevalles, Permit (Some big), Needlefish, Barracuda, Pompano and asst'd snappers. You DO NOT require a license to fish from shore in Mexico but you do to fish from a boat (The guides will supply that for you in your cost).

They guys will typically charge $150 for 2 hours… and they supply water, pop and Beer. Or you take in a free evening on the public beach in Akumal (Just stay away from the snorkelling and swimming areas). But have fun!!!

Thanks for the good advice,when would you say is the best time of year to go ?
Old 02-27-2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:

Thank you kindly sir! I have been talking with people on trip advisor and the akumal dive shop seems very popular, captain ricks seems pretty popular too but the people I have talked to said the same thing about getting mixed in with another group and then taking turns two at a time. What kind of tip do you usually give on a fishing charter?
Old 02-27-2014, 07:20 AM

For the inshore species anytime of year works for most, for the big guys (Sailfish, White Marlin, Blue Marlin) March to September are the best months although they are in the area most of the year.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocpilefsj View Post
Thank you kindly sir! I have been talking with people on trip advisor and the akumal dive shop seems very popular, captain ricks seems pretty popular too but the people I have talked to said the same thing about getting mixed in with another group and then taking turns two at a time. What kind of tip do you usually give on a fishing charter?
The Akumal boys are usually fishing with you! I have given them $20 when we first started going but they seem just as happy taking a few fish home for themselves. (All billfish are released).

If you can you can ask for Pedro (One of the best mates) he loves to fish, although all the guys are really good.

Captain Ricks is very hit and miss and after using the Akumal guys I haven't looked back.

Plus when using my own gear from shore, Ive done very well with something either chasing or having a fish on (Lots of clear water and sight fishing)… Again various species come into play.

Just make sure to pack your gear in a rod case if you can as the baggage handlers can get a little rough with it. But have never had anything broken.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
The Akumal boys are usually fishing with you! I have given them $20 when we first started going but they seem just as happy taking a few fish home for themselves. (All billfish are released).

If you can you can ask for Pedro (One of the best mates) he loves to fish, although all the guys are really good.

Captain Ricks is very hit and miss and after using the Akumal guys I haven't looked back.

Plus when using my own gear from shore, Ive done very well with something either chasing or having a fish on (Lots of clear water and sight fishing)… Again various species come into play.

Just make sure to pack your gear in a rod case if you can as the baggage handlers can get a little rough with it. But have never had anything broken.
Thanks again, I will give akumal dive shop a go.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:31 PM

I did the charter with a bunch of guys with Captain Ricks a few years ago and would never do that again. Chances are you won't catch any billfish and if you do it might not be your turn to reel in the next fish anyways.

If you want to spend the money consider going with Wasabi Loco. They are based at the same marina in Puerta Aventuras as Captain Ricks but it is a smaller organization and you will be dealing directly with the owner. You can find their website easily by a quick search. If you want more info on them send me a PM.

Hiring a panga out of Akumal is a lot of fun as well and much cheaper. I don't think your odds are quite as high as hiring a bigger boat and going further out but I have hooked a nice sailfish going this route and I know other people have done well with dorado.

The better fishing is starting by the second week of April although the dorado and billfish really don't start to heat up until later on in May. However, you stand a good chance of catching something good in April.

There are couple of restaurants in Akumal that will cook your fish for you and this is highly recommended. An amazing way to end the day!

I will be there in June. I've caught multiple sailfish 2 of my last 3 trips so I can't wait for this year's trip.