Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-18-2018, 08:55 PM

Default Ice auger best parts/service?

Decided to go from gas ice auger to propane for various reasons, plus buying new stuff is fun. Haven’t decided on Eskimo or Jiffy yet as there are many factors for each, but gonna purchase one on Black Friday. I’ve owned both but never had problems with either so which company has the better parts and service?

Other opinions are also welcome. I guess it’s like a ford/chev/dodge purchase in a way because everyone has personal preferences. Tough to base a decision by looking at item online reviews since people can have bad luck with any purchase and cry about it, as well as competitive company’s can sand bag poor reviews.

TIA.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:40 PM

I have used Jiffy 44Pro and Eskimo HC40. Liked the Jiffy for 8 inch holes because it cut faster and was ligher, Eskimo for 10 inch because it had far more torque.

The new Eskimo P1 I believe is similar to HC40 with a bit faster gear ratio and lighter, they have really good reviews so far too. That is what I would probably buy.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
I have used Jiffy 44Pro and Eskimo HC40. Liked the Jiffy for 8 inch holes because it cut faster and was ligher, Eskimo for 10 inch because it had far more torque.

The new Eskimo P1 I believe is similar to HC40 with a bit faster gear ratio and lighter, they have really good reviews so far too. That is what I would probably buy.
All great points. I’ll be going 10”. The P1 is by far the most money. The improvements over the HC 40 are it cuts faster on same size motor due to a different transmission and appears to be a bit better built with less plastic to catch on stuff. The new jiffy 46 I believe is about 10 cc’s Bigger than the 44 and 10 pounds heavier.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_80 View Post
All great points. I’ll be going 10”. The P1 is by far the most money. The improvements over the HC 40 are it cuts faster on same size motor due to a different transmission and appears to be a bit better built with less plastic to catch on stuff. The new jiffy 46 I believe is about 10 cc’s Bigger than the 44 and 10 pounds heavier.
Actually it is the Jiffy Pro4 I have used not the 44Pro got the new naming confused... I think they did that on purpose so you now buy the lite version and think it is equivalent to old Pro4 which appears to be the 46 now.

I would pick the Eskimo over Jiffy without question if looking for a 10 inch auger. Not sure where you are looking because I see the 44pro listed around same price and even higher then P1. Don't see a 46 on Canadian websites but it has the highest US price so I assume the same here. HC40 is cheapest if you can find one but again I don't see listed on Canadian sites, I thought it was discontinued but see is still listed on some us sites.

If you can find an HC40 it is a great 10 inch auger and the slower speed is beneficial especially in thick ice. Extra weight sucks which was my only complaint with the HC40 but that goes for almost every 10 inch auger.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:56 PM

I forget the model but we have a auger with the Honda 4stroke motor and it is fabulous, no mixing I only use premium fuel and it starts second pull every time. I don't worry as much about the cutting as I do the starting. If it takes an extra 30 seconds to drill hole so be it, but if it ain't starting your drilling nothing.
Old 12-22-2018, 09:08 PM

Default Propane vs. 2-Stroke

Considering going to propane vs. 2-stroke...

Anyone have any issues with the propane bottles freezing up when it gets to -15C or worse? Any issues with elevation? I fish in the mountains a fair bit.

Thanks for any insight.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:15 AM

Propane works okay till about -25 C. After that, chances of it freezing are real high. At -40, no chance in hell it will fire unless you warm up the bottle. I still use white/unleaded gas stoves for that exact reason when out ice fishing or winter camping.