Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-25-2014, 10:30 PM

Default bolt action rifle in 45-70 gov caliber ?

Hi. I am looking for bolt action rifle in 45-70 gov cal.I am not fun of the liver action and I just wonder if there is such rifle. Best regards.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:33 PM

Enfield mk4 is a bolt action 45-70 I believe.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:44 AM

Type 46 Siamese mausers were popular to convert to 45-70 although I haven't seen one for a while

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/type-45-siamese-mauser/

Here's one for sale

http://www.armslist.com/posts/240212...siamese-mauser

Last edited by bat119; 01-26-2014 at 06:51 AM.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:48 AM

Do you need it to be a 45-70? Do you roll your own? Options? Have a Rem 660 chambered 458 American, 458 Win mag shortened to two inches. Its a great little rifle. Another option, 458 Win mag loaded to 45-70 velocities and pressures. I had a Siamese Mauser in 45-70 but wasn't happy with the hack job that the previous owner had done on the back ring.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:31 AM

There isn't one made these days unless you can afford a custom conversion by a good gunsmith. Those old enfields were converted from .303B to 45/70 by a few compnies back awhile, Gibbs comes to mind. If you're a handloader you could always get one of the .458 incarnations and load it lighter, you may even get urge for more power and the rifle will deliver in spades. Can't think of a better reason to get into handloading, now I want one, grrrrr!
Old 01-26-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north american hunter View Post
I believe the only 45/70's in a No.4 were custom barrelled, it was never brought out in a factory offering unless maybe AIA or Gibbs did, but I don't think so.
You closest bet would be an 11mm Mauser 88/71 if you are looking for like the 45/70 in a black powder cartridge in a traditiniol bolt gun.
There are lots of single shots on the market however.

Cat
Old 01-26-2014, 09:06 AM

I was just doing some reading on the internet and found out that the 45/70 was made in several Long Lee rifles??!
I never knew that and in all my years of messing about with Lee and Lee Enfields have never seen one!
Cat
Old 01-26-2014, 09:24 AM

Zastava sells a 458 Win in blue and walnut or Stainless, synthetic. You can load it to below 45/70 or a ways above. You can also ream it to a Lott and have a very capable African gun that you can still way download with no risk. The straight wall cases are very simple to download.

The rim other reason a 458 Win would be a better option in a bolt action is the rim on the 45/70 would not be the hot ticket in a bolt action gun. Just like the 7x57 and the 7x57R, otherwise identical loads and rounds but the R is made for single, double and combo/drillings while the rimless 7x57 works very well in bolt actions. Best of luck with the project.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north american hunter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I believe the only 45/70's in a No.4 were custom barrelled, it was never brought out in a factory offering unless maybe AIA or Gibbs did, but I don't think so.
You closest bet would be an 11mm Mauser 88/71 if you are looking for like the 45/70 in a black powder cartridge in a traditiniol bolt gun.
There are lots of single shots on the market however.

Cat
You guys are thinking of the frontier sportsman, http://www.gibbsrifle.com/sport_speciality.html they converted and sold them for a short while, and cheap to boot. Though they are very hard to find one for sale these days, I only seen one on gunbroker in the last few years, they are more rare then an un-buuba'd P-14.

I have a jungle carbine (barrel and action) that I had converted to 45-70, and I've posted a few pics of it in its full length zebra stock I made for it here a few times. Other then that your mostly limited to a custom, or the ruger #1's or a lever action henry or marlin etc.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody c View Post
You guys are thinking of the frontier sportsman, http://www.gibbsrifle.com/sport_speciality.html they converted and sold them for a short while, and cheap to boot. Though they are very hard to find one for sale these days, I only seen one on gunbroker in the last few years, they are more rare then an un-buuba'd P-14.
Gibbs was commercially making them for a while but I don't know if they still are or not
Cat
Old 01-26-2014, 04:57 PM

Fantastic question!!!! It never ever occurred to me to even ask something like that, great info too
Old 01-26-2014, 06:11 PM

Thumbs up

If you reload, you better get yourself a 458 Lott or 458 win mag... 458 lott is a far better option because like mentioned you can load it to 45-70 level.. and if needed you can use the full power of the 458 win mag or 458 lott.... Also a gun chambered for the 458 lott can shoot 458 win mag.

I would go with a 458 Lott.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattSako View Post
If you reload, you better get yourself a 458 Lott or 458 win mag... 458 lott is a far better option because like mentioned you can load it to 45-70 level.. and if needed you can use the full power of the 458 win mag or 458 lott.... Also a gun chambered for the 458 lott can shoot 458 win mag.

I would go with a 458 Lott.
Personally I can't figure put why anyone would want to wreck the coolness of the
55/70 by putting on a bolt gun when there are some very micd single shots to shoot it out of!!
Everything from the affordable Buffalo Classic to the modern No1 to the uber cool Sharps and Highwalls
Cat
Old 01-26-2014, 06:34 PM

The OP want a bolt action chambered in 45-70, no need to look very far to figure out the 458 lott is easy to find in a bolt action, can shoot 458 win mag amo, if you reload it make the damn thing a versatile 3 calibers in 1 rifle.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattSako View Post
The OP want a bolt action chambered in 45-70, no need to look very far to figure out the 458 lott is easy to find in a bolt action, can shoot 458 win mag amo, if you reload it make the damn thing a versatile 3 calibers in 1 rifle.
The are a ton of fine rifles available on the Lott or the 458 Win for sure and cast bullet data as well if a guy wanted to go that route .
A nice Zastava in a Mannlicher would be awesome!!
Cat
Old 01-26-2014, 09:07 PM

Someone put a 458 Zastava on the other forum a few days ago for 600, it was gone in minutes, I wasn't quick enough. Another fellow has a Steyr in 450 Marlin in a bolt action.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:28 PM

Why did you have to put another rifle build in my head, just need an enfield, barrel, sights, some more silver solder ...........
Old 01-27-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkytopBrewster View Post
Why did you have to put another rifle build in my head, just need an enfield, barrel, sights, some more silver solder ...........
Forget the old Enfield, I have an old push feed Win M70 Westerner that was originally chambered 7 Rem Mag, was rebarreled to 30-338, the barrel is toast, you could save me the trouble of another barrel job.
Might even have a straight tapered octagon 458 barrel kicking around.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleJ View Post
Forget the old Enfield, I have an old push feed Win M70 Westerner that was originally chambered 7 Rem Mag, was rebarreled to 30-338, the barrel is toast, you could save me the trouble of another barrel job.
Might even have a straight tapered octagon 458 barrel kicking around.
Oh man, I can see it now, tapered octagon M70 in 458win mag- VERY classy Heck, throw some nice wood on it and even I'd be tempted to own it!!
Cat
Old 01-28-2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard steinberg View Post
Hi. I am looking for bolt action rifle in 45-70 gov cal.I am not fun of the liver action and I just wonder if there is such rifle. Best regards.
There is, there are and they're great. You will see them occasionally in Enfields and Mausers. About 3-4 years ago Blair had 6 or 7 different ones go through his shop in a matter of a few months.

Mine is a built on a Siamese Mauser and whoever did the work was a fine craftsman. With the bolt action you can load ahhhhh...differently than the lever guns, not to mention the long heavy bullets that will not fit the levers.

Being heavier than the levers, they tend to be a little easier on the shoulder as well, although being a stronger action, people tend to load them up fairly hot, so...back to the quite noticable recoil.

Some people will tell you that you can get 458 win mag velocities out of them, which may be true, but as Blair used to say to ppl and probably still does...If you want 458 win mag velocities then buy a 458 win mag.

Is it a fun rifle....you bet. Will it accomodate anything you want to shoot, of course, but still doesn't have the feel of carrying a lever.

Keep your eyes open and you will come across one. In fact you might find one at the gun show coming up. If you see Blair (Blair Hault ex Lock n Load)there, ask him, he might be able to point you in the right direction.

Last edited by ACKLEY ABE; 01-28-2014 at 07:04 AM. Reason: spelling