Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-25-2014, 07:47 PM

Default brass quality

ive always preferred to use win brass. now im at a stand still on my project waiting for new barrel to get installed( im so exited) now ill start the brass collection. problem is, im not finding a lot of options for 7x57. lapua is out(not listed) rps has norma, but ive heard mixed reviews on norma. some say good, others think its to soft. because this would be fireformed to improved whats the opinion out there. I have bought some factory federal loaded, but I really don't care for federal(to thick) but because its thicker maybe its better for this application Im not sure. theres a lot of wisdom on this site. need some help thanks.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:37 PM

Buy the Lapua, you will not be disappointed!
Cct
Old 01-25-2014, 08:41 PM
Precisionshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Buy the Lapua, you will not be disappointed!
Cct
In most cases you would be right but they don't make 7x57. The 222 rem brass never did impress many people. Most other brass with the head stamp Lapua is good. It seems, Lapua brass is a bargain compared to Norma.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precisionshooter View Post
In most cases you would be right but they don't make 7x57. The 222 rem brass never did impress many people. Most other brass with the head stamp Lapua is good. It seems, Lapua brass is a bargain compared to Norma.
Interesting, I just gave sdvc a bunch of ammo for 6.5X57 that I had necked down from 7X57 - Lapua head stamp.
Cat
Old 01-25-2014, 08:56 PM

seems to me in the past, I found that priv partazan or however its spelled was actually not to bad brass. mind you im more what youd call a barnyard reloader, and never really was muchfor precision till the last year or two, but im working on it. I fall into that category, been reloading for 20 years but haven't learned much in the last 19. lol
Old 01-25-2014, 09:13 PM

You could always form cases using Lapua 30-06 brass. I have a form die-set for making 7 X 57 out of 30-06. Into two dies, trim, chamfer and load. You can probably reform 06 straight in the 7 X 57 die as long as you don't have Redding dies.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:50 PM
Banned

I think Nosler brass is better than lapua.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:04 PM

Quote:
I think Nosler brass is better than lapua.
Nosler brass is very consistent, as far as weights and measurements go, but it is soft, and doesn't last nearly as long as Lapua brass.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:46 PM

Best 7x57 brass I have found for lasting, consistent and easy to work with while a reasonable price is Sellier and Bellot. You can buy loaded rounds from Tradex for about the same as most brass costs. You get a free round, case formed and it is amazingly accurate for factory ammo. It will shoot under an inch in both the 7x57R and 7x57 that I have bought to make into brass.

My absolute favourite for the 7x57 is RWS. It is very nice, actually excellent, brass but very spendy, and with a little sorting and case prep the S&B works every bit as good. I think you will like the S&B once you try it.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Nosler brass is very consistent, as far as weights and measurements go, but it is soft, and doesn't last nearly as long as Lapua brass.
X2

I bought Nosler brass last year for my .204, and don't think it is worth the price. I don't know how to explain, but it seems almost "gummy" when prepping it.

To the OP-

Just got some Lapua for my 30-06 and so far it has been the best brass I've worked with.

My only experience with Norma brass has been somewhat negative - I bought some used brass for my 220 Swift from a gun show and the necks cracked when I tried to full length size (I stopped after two). I'll try and anneal them, but who knows how many reloads they saw.

How do you mean Federal brass is 'thick'? It's been good enough for any of my hunting reloads, albeit not in 7 x 57, but I've been happy enough with it.

Good Luck with the project!
Old 01-26-2014, 12:52 AM

Default choices

When i got my 7x57 it came with a 100 plus pieces of Frontier brass with has lasted very well plus I picked up some new Rem 7x in a trade for some 223. Fella wanted to trade new win 223 for new 7 one for one. Likely the best trade I'll ever make. FS
Old 01-26-2014, 12:54 AM

Ive been using Norma 7x57 brass in two rifles... Never had a problem with it so far.
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 01-26-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
When i got my 7x57 it came with a 100 plus pieces of Frontier brass with has lasted very well plus I picked up some new Rem 7x in a trade for some 223. Fella wanted to trade new win 223 for new 7 one for one. Likely the best trade I'll ever make. FS
The Rem I get but I have never run across Frontier brass. Where does it originate from and any idea who makes it. What is it like cost wise?
Old 01-26-2014, 09:47 AM

soulcousin, my reference to federal being thick comes from 243 and 308. I have to kick back a full grain on a near max load because I cant fit a bullet in without compressing. having said that, 44gr in a win case and 43gr in a federal case crony the same velocity
Old 01-26-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
The Rem I get but I have never run across Frontier brass. Where does it originate from and any idea who makes it. What is it like cost wise?
Frontier is marketed by Hornady
Cat
Old 01-26-2014, 10:11 AM

Thanks Cat. If it is the same quality as the Hornady I have seen the last few years I think I will pass. I have some Hornady in 204 that has over 15 grains of variation in the case weight, off centre flash holes and very irregular thickness on the necks.

The 375 Ruger brass isn't a lot better and it is the only choice in that caliber. Good thing is, doesn't seem to affect the accuracy on the 375 all that much. Sure does on the 204 though. Switched to Winchester in the 204, nearly the same load and shrank the groups by over half.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Thanks Cat. If it is the same quality as the Hornady I have seen the last few years I think I will pass. I have some Hornady in 204 that has over 15 grains of variation in the case weight, off centre flash holes and very irregular thickness on the necks.
I 'be always likened it up the Federal blue box stuff - kinda their
"Economy line"
Cat
Old 01-26-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:

The 375 Ruger brass isn't a lot better and it is the only choice in that caliber. Good thing is, doesn't seem to affect the accuracy on the 375 all that much. Sure does on the 204 though. Switched to Winchester in the 204, nearly the same load and shrank the groups by over half.
D
I don't tkink I know all there is to know about brass, but seemingly brass that is 8 or more years old seems to be of better quality that some of the product available now, perhaps with the exception of Lapua. I do not know how long Frontier has been the head stamp on Hornady ammo nor do I know where is is made.
A bud of mine that seems to know a lot about brass thinks that Lake City is the best USA brass you can get. FS
Old 01-26-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300backfire View Post
soulcousin, my reference to federal being thick comes from 243 and 308. I have to kick back a full grain on a near max load because I cant fit a bullet in without compressing. having said that, 44gr in a win case and 43gr in a federal case crony the same velocity
Ahh, gotcha. Thanks!
Old 01-26-2014, 11:49 AM

300backfire
Another cartridge worth considering is the 7mm-08 Improved. Resize 308 in 7-08 and you're done. Lapua brass in 308 is available in standard and small rifle primed "Palma" brass. Use of This cartridge is gaining a lot of momentum.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:23 PM

ive aready got that in future plan I think. my daughter wants a new rifle. 7-08 was my plan
Old 01-26-2014, 04:52 PM

Best brass I own is a lot of remington 223 brass I bought about 5-6 years ago and just started using it. The Lapua I own, I had to throw away 6 from one box but the rest are great. My hornady 243 brass is also quite good but at the end of its life. My Winchester 7mm rem mag brass is borderline terrible but at the time was all I could get but it still shoots well after some prep time.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleJ View Post
300backfire
Another cartridge worth considering is the 7mm-08 Improved. Resize 308 in 7-08 and you're done. Lapua brass in 308 is available in standard and small rifle primed "Palma" brass. Use of This cartridge is gaining a lot of momentum.
Lapuas 308 brass necks get thick when sized to 7mm. Shouldn't be a problem, but in my tikka (and sakos which I think hold tighter tolerances than most other mfg's) they tend not to chamber. Need to neck trim, not necessarily a bad thing as groups should improve.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:43 AM
Precisionshooter

Quote:

Nosler is offering 375 ruger. Should have some soon. Even have some 221 rem by nosler. Haven't weighed the 375 hornady but i did find case heads were not square. Have not seen rws for a while. Still have some imperial in 7x57. Lol