Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-17-2018, 01:10 PM

Default Ice shelter

Hello all just wondering if you guys use an ice shelter what one do you prefer I just picked up the Eskimo fatfish 7 to 9 people
Old 01-17-2018, 01:35 PM

Default Ice Shelter

I've found the one man tents are the best thing to go ice fishing with. Company's nice to have but when fishing starts getting slow & it does, I gotta move. I keep moving until I find something. Pretty hard to move a big shelter when you're looking hard for the next bite.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ice Fishing Tent,b.jpg (37.3 KB, 104 views)
Old 01-17-2018, 02:40 PM

I have two... an Eskimo Quickfish 2, which is perfect when I go by myself, and an Eskimo 949i, which is prefect for when my buddy joins me... plenty of room for 2 guys and lots of gear. I love the insulated tent other than the weight.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:07 PM

Just took out the Eskimo 7 to 9 person with 5 of us love it great shelter lots of room glad I bought it next weekend it will just be 3 of us so I'll take out the Eskimo 3 to 4 person see how it is
Old 01-26-2018, 09:56 AM

Any one have any experience with Fish Inn Rendezvous 2-3 Person Pop Up Ice Fishing Tent from costco
Old 01-26-2018, 10:47 AM

i have like 7 of them from 1 man to 4 man, but find i really like the flip over one and two mans from clam or any company for that matter. i like the really quick setup and its light weight, while my ice cube has a hell of a lot more room but a bit longer to setup and move while you also have to becarefull in colder weather as i heard the poles get brittle and snap easy in cold weather. then once you are set up the anchors are not the easiest to set up by hand so i bought the attachment for the drill to use the drill for the anchors. for my clam flip over two man i have a folding chair instead of the factory metal frame seats as i find they are fairly heavy when installed so i have just the basics and alot more room.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the local angler View Post
i have like 7 of them from 1 man to 4 man, but find i really like the flip over one and two mans from clam or any company for that matter. i like the really quick setup and its light weight, while my ice cube has a hell of a lot more room but a bit longer to setup and move while you also have to becarefull in colder weather as i heard the poles get brittle and snap easy in cold weather. then once you are set up the anchors are not the easiest to set up by hand so i bought the attachment for the drill to use the drill for the anchors. for my clam flip over two man i have a folding chair instead of the factory metal frame seats as i find they are fairly heavy when installed so i have just the basics and alot more room.

So they don't sound vary good
Old 01-26-2018, 12:35 PM

I'm looking for a 1 man tent....was fishing yesterday and coulda use one.....lol....and yea mobility is I think key too
Old 01-26-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfisher View Post
I'm looking for a 1 man tent....was fishing yesterday and coulda use one.....lol....and yea mobility is I think key too
If you need a cost-effective and portable unit, check out the QuickHut... They have them at the Fishin' Hole.

Old 01-26-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz1977 View Post
Any one have any experience with Fish Inn Rendezvous 2-3 Person Pop Up Ice Fishing Tent from costco
I have the Outbound Crystal Ice for when it's just me, and the Fish Inn Getaway when it's myself and my Wife, or with friends. Have had great customer service for the Fish Inn when one pole snapped, really fast warranty replacement. I will say that the interior black coating does flake a bit after lots of use, but the shelter is great otherwise. If I were farther north, I would think hard about insulated shelters, thou.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
So they don't sound vary good
for me the ice cube does do the job of keeping you sheltered against the elements and all but i have not had it fail on me yet. just reading the forums the poles snapping and the odd time the hub comes apart is stuff i hear from other anglers. i favor the flip over shelters mainly for their ease of setup and take down. the only thing i didn't like was the frame structure that the seats were attached to, it took up so much valuable space in the sled so i just use a simple light weight folding chair and much more space and less cluttered. if you punch on hole in the center of the sled (if you want or need to) put one of those ice anchors into it and the unit is pretty well anchored in the ice and very stable in windy conditions. you tend to buy and use various makes and models to find out which one suits your needs. for me i have a clam 2 man and a HT 1 one man both great units.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:04 PM
Banned

If you by a pop up go with an insulated one or one with at least an insulated top.
Otherwise I have heard that if you put a propane heater in a non-insulated condensation
builds up on the roof and your tent starts to rain on you.

Also use chap stick or silicon based WD40 to put on the zippers so they slide easier.

I have a big a** Cabela's 1660 thermal top. Works good for me and can fish 4 people
comfortable. But long and heavy so I plan to get a smaller one in case I can drive out with truck.

I would stick with Clam and Eskimo. I bought a Cabela's because of price and I heard they were made by Clam.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comaderek View Post
If you by a pop up go with an insulated one or one with at least an insulated top.
Otherwise I have heard that if you put a propane heater in a non-insulated condensation
builds up on the roof and your tent starts to rain on you.

Also use chap stick or silicon based WD40 to put on the zippers so they slide easier.
+1 on the lubing of the zipper. The condensation does occur, but in my experience is not that bad, and can be minimized with a small battery fan to circulate the air.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
So would this one be good I can get it for $100 if not I'll pick up 3 to 4 person Eskimo one
Old 01-26-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
So would this one be good I can get it for $100 if not I'll pick up 3 to 4 person Eskimo one
At that price hard to pass up, would be roomier than my outbound, which I find just right for me, so the bit of extra space would be nice imho.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
I have two... an Eskimo Quickfish 2, which is perfect when I go by myself, and an Eskimo 949i, which is prefect for when my buddy joins me... plenty of room for 2 guys and lots of gear. I love the insulated tent other than the weight.
I did try it both ways and figured it out the second time , but still didn't go all the way past the corners ? I could pull one side past the corner and tie it off then go over to the other side and pull the other one down , then the other side would still pull up ?