Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-08-2018, 09:04 AM

Default Country pleasures moving/closing?

Was by their shop, and idea it they’re still in business?
Old 01-08-2018, 09:15 AM

As far as I know, yes. They recently advertised a boxing day sale. Are their window all closed up?
Old 01-08-2018, 09:57 AM

Windows not closed up, but store is basically empty.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:18 PM

I was told new inventory would be rolling in mid Jan.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:29 AM

From my experience, they have always tended to have a bit less inventory on hand than other fly shops in the area. That was pretty aggressive pricing for their Boxing Day sale (good thing the weather sucked, preventing me from driving up... well at least my better half is happy about that). Perhaps that accounts for the current sparseness? Hope they are keepin on-- I bought my first setup there a few years ago, and make a point of popping in when I'm in Calgary.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:50 AM

I was there after Christmas and thought to they were closing, I asked Mike the owner and he said they were not closing and that the boxing week sale was more successful than expected.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:15 PM

Just seen on fly fish Calgary country pleasures confirmed its closure for good.That sucks for sure I will miss that option for stuff.

Last edited by vital shok; 01-09-2018 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:25 PM

sign off the times ON LINE shopping is one main reason ,for there demise..
Old 01-09-2018, 06:25 PM

Agreed, it is hard to beat a lot of online shopping prices, not just fishing. It's sad to see another local retailer close it's doors.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
sign off the times ON LINE shopping is one main reason ,for there demise..
I like Fish Tales. Way better customer service. Way friendlier. Great fishing advice. See lots of friends there.

I always felt out of place at Country Pleasures when not wearing Orvis clothing nor carrying the newest Sage Rod and Reel.

I remember the look of distain when I came in with a no name reel.

Fish Tales is down to earth. I have spent a ton of money there and will continue to do so. I suspect others using Country Pleasures will switch to Fish Tales.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-10-2018, 12:28 PM

Sundancefisher, I totally agree with your comments.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:27 PM

Smile

I have to also agree with Sundancerfisher and Mikediz. I have bought a few things over the years there. But they always seemed standoffish and unwelcoming.

I took a friend there last year that was from out of town. He and I have each fly fished for decades. We even fly fished together competitively on a team. When my friend asked a simple question about a product, the guy looked at him and said maybe you need to come take one of our beginner courses. We both looked at each other and laughed. I left the $100+ of stuff I was going to buy on their counter and we both walked out.

I will continue to shop at Fish Tales and Iron Bow. Two great shops in our city.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
I like Fish Tales. Way better customer service. Way friendlier. Great fishing advice. See lots of friends there.

I always felt out of place at Country Pleasures when not wearing Orvis clothing nor carrying the newest Sage Rod and Reel.

Fish Tales is down to earth. I have spent a ton of money there and will continue to do so. I suspect others using Country Pleasures will switch to Fish Tales.
I agree and have purchased in store and via the telephone on several occasions. I wish someone would convince them to have a modern website where people can order products online rather than call in.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:58 PM

I wont miss that place at all. I echo what many others have said about Country pleasures. Never felt welcomed there. I do like Fish Tales but I have to say Josh and crew at OFF get 98% of my business. Just great people there that are friendly and welcoming to anyone and everyone.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:01 PM

I totally disagree with the negative comments about Country Pleasures. Years ago had an excellent two days on the river with Joe Buck as the guide.

The first day I ruined a line around a rock. The next day at the shop Mike set me up with a new streamer express line and I had one of my best days on the Bow.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:17 AM

Sad to see another business close, I wonder if it will be rebranded and purchased by someone else or if we will just be down a shop. We have so many in Calgary now and with the online options it can be hard to keep up!
Old 01-11-2018, 01:40 PM

Sad news if that is the case. Known Mike since back when he sold trucks. maybe he just got tired of it, or maybe Orvis is changing the way they do business. Had a great trip pike fishing with him years ago. He was always fair to deal with. Can't say as he ever had a lot of stock on hand I wanted, he seemed to have strange stocking policies. I was thinking of getting a 10ft Recon 7wt in the saltwater version this yr. Might be an interesting franchise, Orvis has a lot more than just fly-fishing equipt going on.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:02 PM

when your prices are 30% higher than everywhere else............what u expect........
Old 01-14-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetboatjimi View Post
Mike Gifford should be taken to task for selling gift cards this X-Mas season. I know of at least $1,000 of cards sold to long term customers of CP.. Mike just took the money knowing tomorrow was never going to come.
I have no previous experience with the shop or its owners so I can't comment on any personal experiences, however I am one of the unfortunate people to have received a gift certificate for country pleasures which was purchased just 2 weeks before the shop closed, with no warning at all. It is quite disappointing
Old 01-14-2018, 10:02 PM

If the gift card was bought with a credit card, dispute the charge and have it reversed. In the cases of fraud, there will be no problem in cancelling.

Last edited by badger; 01-14-2018 at 10:15 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:48 PM

I live a few blocks from Country Pleasures and had the misfortune of going in there once, I lived the arrogance. I preferred to drive to WSS and always was happy dealing with Bob or Mike.
The folks at OFF are amazing as well and is much closer than WSS.
If the owner of CP knew he was going out of business and selling gift cards, then he is a lowlife thief.
JH
Old 01-15-2018, 09:43 AM

Personal attacks on a named individual by anonymous posters on a public board should never tolerated.

I hope the mods close and delete this thread ASAP!!!!
Old 01-16-2018, 02:39 PM

Just asked his dad to pass along a message to him about the gift certificate issue, he thought they were all taken care of, but, maybe he missed one or two.
See what happens.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Henry View Post
I live a few blocks from Country Pleasures and had the misfortune of going in there once, I lived the arrogance. I preferred to drive to WSS and always was happy dealing with Bob or Mike.
The folks at OFF are amazing as well and is much closer than WSS.
If the owner of CP knew he was going out of business and selling gift cards, then he is a lowlife thief.
JH
Let's not jump to conclusions here....
Old 01-16-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
Personal attacks on a named individual by anonymous posters on a public board should never tolerated.

I hope the mods close and delete this thread ASAP!!!!
Although the premature attacks aren't acceptable, this is still a useful thread for people to communicate any news they hear about refunds etc.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:55 PM

Gang

So I heard from my work colleague that purchased a gift certificate before Christmas and she followed-up with Mike via Facebook. Apparently he’s followed up and says he will do something for her (I don’t have the details yet), and I’m hoping that he does (no reason at this point to think otherwise).. I will keep you informed on the details when I speak with her.

P

-Confucius

Last edited by ÜberFly; 01-19-2018 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:44 PM
Banned

CP closing.
This will be interesting for me.
I saved and bought my gift card for my younger brother.(18).
If CP decides to honor the gift cards, that will be a good thing.
Somehow, I doubt that this will occur.
$180 might not be much for some folk's, but it was a lot for me.
He wanted wading boots.
The owner was sure happy to take the cash.
I had to travel from Lethbridge to what I thought was an honorable business.
Just hoping.
Jerry
Old 01-25-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post

Agree 100%. Don't like to see small business go under but I shop elsewhere for the above reasons.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:57 AM

their website is still up and running!