Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-14-2018, 09:47 PM

Default Whitefish hook sets...

I headed out to a lake today to try my hand at some lake whites. Was probably the most action I’ve seen in many many years. I had to have seen 40 whites and had a great deal of them showing significant interest in my wire worm. Lots of little bumps, pushing the hook in front of them etc.

Still, I had many of them taking the hook fairly aggressively. There were close to 10 times they’d come up, open their mouth, suck the lure in, is set the hook and end up with nothing. Not even hooked... One of the two I did land did this 4 times before I finally got a hook set. The third attempt actually changed the worm from sitting horizontal to hanging vertical. He came back immediately and hit it again even with the hook hanging vertically. That time I hooked him.

So, question time. What is going on??? Lots of bites but I couldn’t get a hookup to save my life. It seemed like it was setting the hook too early maybe, but it was DEFINITELY in their mouth when I set the hook... I have two thoughts. Either I’m setting it too early or too hard.

Thoughts?
Old 01-14-2018, 10:05 PM

Have you tested the sharpness of the hooks? I know mine seem to get dull even just rattling around in the tackle box
Old 01-14-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSwedeItIs View Post
Have you tested the sharpness of the hooks? I know mine seem to get dull even just rattling around in the tackle box
Entirely possible this is the issue. This particular wire worm has been rattling around in the bottom of a tackle box for the past nearly 2 years... I also never used to have this issue, so something like that does make some sense.

Thanks.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:47 AM

To test the sharpness, poke your thumbnail with the point of the hook and try to drag it a little bit. A sharp hook will be "sticky" and a dull hook will slide across your thumbnail or scratch it a bit but won't stick.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:27 AM

Yep, sharp is the way to be. Especially for whites. You can also wait to set the hook until you feel that slight pull, hole the line in between your fingers and you'll know when. If they spit it out before you can do that then it was likely not meant to be.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:50 AM

I find with Whites you don't want to quickly "set" the hook like you might with a Walleye or Pike but rather just pull up swiftly until you feel the weight of fish. Whitefish have soft mouths and to hard of a hook set will tear the hook right out of their mouths. A Whitefish will also reject a hook very quickly as soon as the feel the hook so timing is absolutely the key.

As the others have pointed out, sharp hooks for sure. Another point I find that is overlooked is if you are running mono, you will want to "stretch" the line out to remove all of the line memory. Any slack in the line and its a done deal.

I prefer mono over braid while fishing for White's as it acts like a shock absorber. That and a soft ice fishing rod and a reel with a good drag. Get into a 3lbs plus white and the battle will be on.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:25 AM

Your OP doesn't say but are the wire worms facing up? I noticed a big difference in hook sets when I started pointing mine up. Sounds like you got them interested enough to commit so it could just be one of those frustrating days. +1 for sharpness. if that doesn't work I'd size up/down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ww hook.jpg (22.4 KB, 183 views)
Old 01-15-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil69 View Post
Your OP doesn't say but are the wire worms facing up? I noticed a big difference in hook sets when I started pointing mine up. Sounds like you got them interested enough to commit so it could just be one of those frustrating days. +1 for sharpness. if that doesn't work I'd size up/down.
Yeah it’s pointing up. Surprisingly, the first guy that came by 4 times still took the hook with it pointed sideways (shank of the hook parallel to the line) after it turned in his mouth when I tried to set it on the 3rd attempt...

At this point I’m leaning towards sharpness. I’ve been fishing for whites this way for 25 years and I don’t remember ever having this issue before...
Old 01-15-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterM View Post
I headed out to a lake today to try my hand at some lake whites. Was probably the most action I’ve seen in many many years. I had to have seen 40 whites and had a great deal of them showing significant interest in my wire worm. Lots of little bumps, pushing the hook in front of them etc.

Still, I had many of them taking the hook fairly aggressively. There were close to 10 times they’d come up, open their mouth, suck the lure in, is set the hook and end up with nothing. Not even hooked... One of the two I did land did this 4 times before I finally got a hook set. The third attempt actually changed the worm from sitting horizontal to hanging vertical. He came back immediately and hit it again even with the hook hanging vertically. That time I hooked him.

So, question time. What is going on??? Lots of bites but I couldn’t get a hookup to save my life. It seemed like it was setting the hook too early maybe, but it was DEFINITELY in their mouth when I set the hook... I have two thoughts. Either I’m setting it too early or too hard.

Thoughts?
You might also have your hook to closed, ie. if you open it up a bit your hooking rates will go up some times a fair bit.

By closed I mean that the sharp part is pointing to much toward the shaft of the hook. Bend the sharp part (open) away from the shaft so that it is not parallel with the shaft. Some guys will also put a bit of a twist in as well so the point doe not line up with the shaft.

Pretty sure speckle55 (a white fishing god) covered this as well, a year or two ago.

I have found this helps quite a bit.

Last edited by cube; 01-15-2018 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:02 PM

how heavy is the line? With or without maggots? What size hook?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-15-2018, 04:41 PM

Are you using store bought wireworms? I find the store bought ones lose sharpness quickly and sometimes are not very sharp to start with. I make my own wireworms and only use chemically sharpened hooks and don't have issues with not getting hooksets.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedmon View Post
Are you using store bought wireworms? I find the store bought ones lose sharpness quickly and sometimes are not very sharp to start with. I make my own wireworms and only use chemically sharpened hooks and don't have issues with not getting hooksets.
I’m using homemade wireworms, but they’re pretty old at this point (some up to 15 years...) so it makes sense that they would have filled over time.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:40 PM

First, bend the hook slightly open.

Second, sharpen the hook deadly sharp. (whitefish mouths are rubbery)

Third, tie a TIGHT knot, then bend the knot towards the wire worm so the hook rides horizontal, hook pointing up.

Fourth, as a finesse step, do an overhand loop, wrap it around the front of the wire worm body so it loops back, draw it tight. Now the hook is actually having its balance point set behind the double wrap on the wire worm body that forms the "head". This keeps the hook very level, even after you miss a fish on the take.

Finally, PM me the lake, as I might have the killer hook you need if it is the lake I am thinking it is. It might really surprise you!!!

Drewski
Old 01-16-2018, 08:30 PM

Has anyone tried this over here? Does it work?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fNsWxeHQ100
Old 01-16-2018, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
how heavy is the line? With or without maggots? What size hook?
Sorry missed your question. It’s 4 lbs test and no maggots on Sunday. Hook size...I honestly don’t know...6 or 8? But that’s a WAG.
Old 01-27-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
First, bend the hook slightly open.

Second, sharpen the hook deadly sharp. (whitefish mouths are rubbery)

Third, tie a TIGHT knot, then bend the knot towards the wire worm so the hook rides horizontal, hook pointing up.

Fourth, as a finesse step, do an overhand loop, wrap it around the front of the wire worm body so it loops back, draw it tight. Now the hook is actually having its balance point set behind the double wrap on the wire worm body that forms the "head". This keeps the hook very level, even after you miss a fish on the take.

Finally, PM me the lake, as I might have the killer hook you need if it is the lake I am thinking it is. It might really surprise you!!!

Drewski
I always have a little problem with positioning hook horizontal and your #4 might be my answer. I'm having hard time to visual what you wrote.(English is my second language) Would you be able to make a little sketch or picture, haw to do overhand loop?
Thanks
Vic