Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-14-2018, 01:24 AM

If Whitetail are or were considered an invasive species, I'm sure it is one we all want to see continue to flourish.
I had my first personal encounter with Whitetails in 1958 .. up in the Smith/Hondo area. I had never seen one before. At that time the locals called them "Jumpers". I shot a small Buck one day that changed my life. Since then I have been totally fascinated by them. Mule Deer were very prevalent in that area and most of the Province back then but I watched the WT population in the cultivated lands grow at a phenomenal rate while at the same time, the local Mule Deer population rapidly declined. They didn't die off, they just moved to other, more remote habitat. Perhaps that may have been the reason for the WT's "invasive" label. Either way, we still have them both so we have to consider ourselves very fortunate.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
If Whitetail are or were considered an invasive species, I'm sure it is one we all want to see continue to flourish.
I had my first personal encounter with Whitetails in 1958 .. up in the Smith/Hondo area. I had never seen one before. At that time the locals called them "Jumpers". I shot a small Buck one day that changed my life. Since then I have been totally fascinated by them. Mule Deer were very prevalent in that area and most of the Province back then but I watched the WT population in the cultivated lands grow at a phenomenal rate while at the same time, the local Mule Deer population rapidly declined. They didn't die off, they just moved to other, more remote habitat. Perhaps that may have been the reason for the WT's "invasive" label. Either way, we still have them both so we have to consider ourselves very fortunate.
Sorry ... posted in the wrong place.... well, maybe not.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzukisam View Post
Yes slow cook till well done due to worms, or cut up into little cube’s and add to stir fry with soy sauce. Just like they do in China But be warned you will not eat deer anymore and will be hunting wolf from now on. They are more of a challenge to hunt anyways. And a lot of fun too call in Close to get with bow. And best of all no tags need and longer season. And nobody asks you where your honey hole is.
That is funny you should do stand up, love it
Old 01-15-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeelmer View Post
Several years ago i had a conversation with a couple of head bios in Edmonton
Their response was that white tail deer were not native to Alberta historically and that were considered a invasive species to our province. Mule deer were native and that the government would continue to issue lots of tags for white tails and would not stop. There are very low on the priority list to keep numbers up.
Now this is info i recived but am unsure if the rest of the government thinks the same way. But it does seam to corilate to what is happening out there.
Whitetail are not considered invasive to the province. But, they are considered to have expanded their range north and west into areas that they wouldn't have historically occupied, due to human activity in the area, particularly seismic and pipelines, which do not regenerate to forest once cleared. This has lead to an increase in deer numbers that is seen as unnatural, and the subsequent rise in predator numbers that will inevitably follow an unnaturally high prey population. This has then lead to a decline in other species that are taken as secondary prey by the predators, especially the caribou, which have been in serious decline. Predator control is being implemented to try and stop the decline in the short term, but isn't seen as a long term solution, since it is a) difficult to do sufficiently, even with helicopters and gps collars and b) incredibly expensive. Reducing the prey numbers through increased hunting is one effort being used, as is habitat restoration and new regulations intended to limit the amount of permanent disturbance created by industrial development (sharing pipeline right of ways, smaller seismic corridors, forestry and oil road sharing, etc).

Personally, I see this as an opportunity for hunters to be part of the conservation solution. There is a serious problem when it comes to caribou, and we have the ability to be part of the solution. People often talk about how hunters are on the front lines of conservation, and when we have the chance to prove it, we should. Whitetail are a sneaky and resilient species, they are in no risk of being exterminated.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:43 PM

Just had back strap. Marinated in soy sauce for 2 days and then thrown on the barbe Mmmm good. Got to go get more