Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-05-2018, 11:12 AM

Default trout options SW of Calgary end of May/beginning of June?

Hey guys~I'm planning on visiting SW Alberta in 2018...and giving the gophers a bad time if things work out. However, if there were an opportunity to do a little fishing at some point, I'd welcome the chance to do that. I won't have the space/weight allowance to bring boots/waders (might bend on that) and if I'm being honest...I may give it an afternoon's time at the most. From my own experience fishing out there (end of July)..and from what I know about closures of mountain rivers early season due to snow melt...my hunch is that it's almost not worth the trouble that time of year. We have scores of bass/pike/panfish opportunities here in S. Ontario so it's honestly no temptation to target warm water species out there. However, a little small stream fishing for trout might prove to be a nice distraction at some point...provided a lengthy drive isn't required. Thinking Okotoks-west.

If anyone has any ideas/input...I'd sure appreciate it. Hoping to pack light=rod/flies/tippets&leader...that's about it.

Thanks for taking a moment to reply.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:04 PM

Check the regs and a map. You'll find that most of the moving water is closed until the middle of June. Lakes are open.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:31 PM

July is better because of the spring run off

Sometimes June is ok.

If your set-determined.. you can hit Chain Lakes by Longview.

Lots of other trout lakes further south .... chronomid time.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 01-06-2018, 08:32 PM

Calgary to Montana you only have a couple options April to mid June west of okotoks u have nothing! Like others have mentioned check your regs and maps. The few rivers that are open except the bow only have specific stretches open or closed for spring spawners
Old 01-06-2018, 09:19 PM

Bow Calgary to Carseland,,, Crowsnest below East Hillcrest Bridge is open as is the Oldman below the Dam and above the reservoir up to Hwy 22.

The Bow, Crow and lower Oldman can all fish very well at that time of year if runoff hasn't blown the rivers out yet.

As mentioned earlier pretty much everything else stream wise is closed until June 16.