Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-16-2014, 12:42 PM

Default 2015 Hoyt Line Up!

Whats everyone's input on Hoyt's 2015 line up? http://www.hoyt.com/
Old 10-16-2014, 01:53 PM
Banned

Hoyt has finally advertised a bow in the 350fps range, I wonder how accurate the rating is? Looks like last years Carbo Spyder Turbo with a new cam design maybe? In any case, I know I'll be trying them out!
Old 10-16-2014, 02:41 PM

Looking forward to seeing how the ZT roller guard works and feedback from shooters. I got away from Hoyt mainly because of fixed rollers.

As far as the turbo goes, Its a completely different cam from the Z5. It'll be a fairly aggressive draw to get the speed increase off the past turbos. What I don't get is they could of put the Turbo Cam on the 34 and 30 and had 340 fps bows! The bows will make speed, always a few that just build up different and won't.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:29 PM

I really want to try shooting the nitrum 30. It looks like a really nice bow. Hopefully it shoots as nice as it looks.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:10 AM

Wheres the best shop gona be to shoot the selection at once released. I think jimbows and spa has hoyt right?
Old 10-17-2014, 10:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertabighorn View Post
Wheres the best shop gona be to shoot the selection at once released. I think jimbows and spa has hoyt right?
Accurate Archery will have a fresh shipment end of November, guaranteed Lawrence will have them set up with a D loop and rest ready to test drive.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:59 PM

Where is this Accurate Archery?
Old 10-17-2014, 10:02 PM

Did you guys see mrsp anywhere?
Old 10-17-2014, 10:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxclaro View Post
Where is this Accurate Archery?
Alberta Beach, northwest of Stoney Plain.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:25 PM

Finally got to shot the new Hoyt Line-up today. I Shot the Nitrum 34 , Nitrum Turbo and Carbon ZT turbo. Loved the turbo cams. They pack a wallop! Fast is an understatement.

My real interest was in the Nitrum and Carbon Turbo’s. I just couldn’t put them down. Both were fresh off the truck, checked over/timed etc.. and Whisker biscuits installed. I popped there cherries, nothing beats the feeling of being the first!

The Nitrum turbo is a solid bow which balanced nicely in my hand. I didn’t notice the buzz other people complain of, the bow was quite, pointed well and very solid feelings, plus it just looks sexy! There is some vibration but you really have to feel for it, I only noticed since I shoot a Carbon Matrix and was shooting it side by side to the Carbon Turbo. Putting on a sight and standard accessories would eliminate any perceived vibration.

But the carbon ZT was all that plus totally dead in the hand. I fell in love almost instantly. I am coming from the Carbon Matrix with the RKT cam so I thought the turbo cam felt great. I mean you know you are pulling a speed bow and there is just enough valley at the end to let you know you've rolled it over and then you fall back into a solid anchor. You will not budge once you rolled over and I could hold it as long as I wanted. I was shooting tight groups without a sight installed; it just plain shot for me.

I have gorilla arms a wingspan tip to tip of 74.5” at only 5’10”. I shoot with a hand held release and have always been in between draw length modules 29.5" or 30". Can make both work depending on ATA by twisting of cables, grip removal, dloop etc.. Thankfully, Lawrence let me shoot both the Nitrum and Turbo in 29.5 and 30” draw lengths with limbs maxed out. Gave me a great feel for how I would use the bows for hunting.

After 2 hours, I left with a lighter wallet and a blackout Carbon Turbo ZT! My poor Matrix will see very little shooting now.

Big shout out to Lawrence at Accurate Archery, top notch service, had everything ready when I came in and was swamping draw length modules to ensure I was happy with the draw and fit of the bow. I have been bow hunting for more than 20 years, started out with round wheels, magnesium risers and aluminium arrows, shot bows from all the major manufactures and basically have a bow shop in my garage. Lawrence is great with dealing with guys like me who know their stuff, research, tune their own gear and ask to have things done the way We like it.

FYI. Lawrence and I were so impressed with the wallp these two bows were producing we brought out the chrono,; shooting the Nitrum Turbo with wisker busicut slapped on, Dloop installed and timing checked, - we had her set at 30" draw and 71lbs. She shot a 387 gr arrow 334 fps. That is a hair under The advertised ATA speeds. With some fine tuning she will be meeting, if not exceeding her speed marks.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:06 PM

Good to hear, have a nitrum turbo in black w/ 70 lb limbs and #3 cam on order. I comitted the sin of not trying before buying but I'm hoping it doesn't come back to bite me. From what I've read on AT and other places, it sounds like it won't but you never know.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:22 PM

You won't be disappointed in the Nitrum, beauty bow and it shot great for me too. If I wasn't so concerned about weight and the feel of Carbon, I would have walked out with the Nitrum without a doubt!
Old 11-19-2014, 11:38 PM

What did the cs zt end up costing?
Old 11-21-2014, 09:12 AM

Thx for the review Manosteel. I have been considering trying the Hoyt and upgrading from my Mathews Extreme.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:58 PM

I heard 1650 for a carbon spyder
Old 11-21-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBFK View Post
I heard 1650 for a carbon spyder
Not for the feint hearted then.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
Not for the feint hearted then.
I'd say I think I'll have to scour the AT classifieds for a lightly used one at about half the price in about 6 months
Old 12-03-2014, 12:40 PM

Cool Hoyt Boy

I'm using the new faktor and my son is using the new ignite...been very pleased...great hats as well
Old 12-05-2014, 08:17 PM

Default Hoyt Nitrum

Just got back from trying out a nitrum 30 and thought I'd share my experience. Before I go into it, keep in mind that I'm still new to archery and, combine that with the act that bows are different person to person, my experience may be totally different than yours.

Nitrum 30
28.5" DL
60lb DW
Whisker biscuit
Can't remember the arrow weight but he said they were over spined

First off, it was smooth. The entire draw cycle definitely felt smoother than my mission blaze and one big thing I noticed was that letting it down was far easier and nicer. The blaze wanted to rip your arm off and the nitrum was almost silly how easy it was to let down. BUT... If the DL was indeed 28.5" that would mean that it was at almost the very low end of the #3 cam so I would expect that that would greatly influence the feel. As well the blaze was 340ibo and set to 65lbs. This was 332 at 60#. So, regardless of anything to do with the bow itself, the nitrum already has an unfair advantage of a smoother cam, lower ibo speed and 5# less DW. I know many of you haven't shot a blaze so that may mean nothing to you so I will say this...

At these specs the bow was silly smooth to draw and let down, had a bit of a hump and then sunk into a good valley. It was easy to hold back. Pretty effortless. Easiest way to say it is that it was a pleasure to shoot. I didn't really notice any vibration. I didn't want to stop. I've shot shop bows before with just a whisker biscuit and the arrows are all over the place. But that's what I expect when I do. With the nitrum however, it was almost like the arrows went where I looked, like a laser. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it being a nitrum but all I know is that I had to make a deliberate effort to aim in different places so that I didn't wreck his arrows. And the one time I tried to put one close to another, I smacked it right on the side. It was just enjoyable to shoot. Felt light but of course it will with nothing on it. Easy to hold, felt balanced with the weight tipping slightly forward at the top. I loved it. But...

The finish on the bow...

From doing a lot of reading I know that a lot of guys complain about the finish on Hoyt's. When I looked at this bow in camo, not sure which kind, it seemed really nice. It didn't look stretched out around the edges, good colour and a rough texture to it. BUT I noticed that there was a small spot on the riser were the aluminum was exposed and the finish was lifted. I don't know why this happened, whether it banged into something or whatever but it was there. The best way to describe it would be looking at a sunburn when it peeling. The new skin underneath and the old on top that you could peel off. Now of course I didn't start peeling it off the bow but it almost looked like if had grabbed some of it and started pulling, it would have peeled right off. Not sure if it would have but that's what I saw.

Other than the finish, which didn't really bother me that much as I expect a hunting bow to get its fair share of marks and bangs, the nitrum was awesome. This has definitely been a noob overview but I still think that it is an excellent, high quality bow that everyone should try. Ill have to see how the turbo is when mine gets in but after shooting the 30, I feel very happy with my decision.

And the price on the sticker was 1100 I think and the CS was about 1700.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:57 AM

I shot all the new Hoyt's at a demo day on Thursday this week. The nitrium was smooth as silk. The spyder turbo's draw felt a bit odd when the cams rolled over.