Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
I love this.

How many black bears do all our sheep hunters see while hunting sheep? I guarantee if we did a poll it would be very very few. Wonder why that would be if there is such a good population in Grizz country?
Its pretty tough to argue with someone that has no time in the areas or knowledge on the topics.

Of course there is some overlap! But for the most part high alpine country that the largest percentage of Grizz inhabit there are very few black bears. Its a know fact of anyone that hunts these areas at all.
I've only ever seen one in the alpine. We watched it for several days rooting around like a grizz. On the 4th or 5th day we watched a grizz do a stalk on him. At the last minute the black bear realized what was going down and barely escaped. One of the coolest outdoor experiences I've ever had !

I was talking with a F&W officer who had spent some time in the Ya Ha and he had witnessed a grizz who specialized on preying on new born elk. It would hit the open areas and check under every spruce tree where the calves were.

I know if they opened up a few gated oil patch roads it might increase the wolf mortality. Here's a pack that hung around a well operators truck.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRxo-1JSz0Y

I see your point on the trapping issue. Maybe if we put a bounty on them it would give trappers more incentive to target wolves.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
I've only ever seen one in the alpine. We watched it for several days rooting around like a grizz. On the 4th or 5th day we watched a grizz do a stalk on him. At the last minute the black bear realized what was going down and barely escaped. One of the coolest outdoor experiences I've ever had !

I was talking with a F&W officer who had spent some time in the Ya Ha and he had witnessed a grizz who specialized on preying on new born elk. It would hit the open areas and check under every spruce tree where the calves were.

I know if they opened up a few gated oil patch roads it might increase the wolf mortality. Here's a pack that hung around a well operators truck.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRxo-1JSz0Y

I see your point on the trapping issue. Maybe if we put a bounty on them it would give trappers more incentive to target wolves.
For sure DW. Grizz are very hard on new borns and have a large impact as well. Definitely another issue in our west country that needs to be addressed.

As well ive with blacks ive seen very few. In northern BC in the huge tracks of grizz country we did harvest the odd black in grizz country but 9/10 times they were very large boars that were able to defend themselves.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:42 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Bounties have been tried and in the end they didn't solve the problem.

And for the record, I don't know a single trapper who objected even though it meant a lot of wolves got killed by hunters instead of trappers.

The uneducated seem to think this can be solved just by getting lazy trappers off their butts.

I don't know anyone who works harder for their money then a trapper, except perhaps a farmer.

But I do know a number of trappers who went to work on the rigs and stayed because it was the easiest money they had ever made.
I was one of them to a degree.

I didn't totally leave trapping, but I did give up full time trapping in exchange for the easy money of the oilfield.

Maybe the solution is to pay trappers the same wages oilfield workers get.
Then everyone would want to be a trapper, and all trappers would be the hardest working guys on the planet.

Hey, I like that plan. Lets make trappers public employees.
Clearly some folks here already think we are public employees.

There could be trappers unions, trappers pension plans, trappers severance packages! Health benefits for trappers, government subsidized housing for trappers.

We could make trappers into wanna be postal workers.

That ought to work.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-12-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Bounties have been tried and in the end they didn't solve the problem.

And for the record, I don't know a single trapper who objected even though it meant a lot of wolves got killed by hunters instead of trappers.

The uneducated seem to think this can be solved just by getting lazy trappers off their butts.

I don't know anyone who works harder for their money then a trapper, except perhaps a farmer.

But I do know a number of trappers who went to work on the rigs and stayed because it was the easiest money they had ever made.
I was one of them to a degree.

I didn't totally leave trapping, but I did give up full time trapping in exchange for the easy money of the oilfield.

Maybe the solution is to pay trappers the same wages oilfield workers get.
Then everyone would want to be a trapper, and all trappers would be the hardest working guys on the planet.

Hey, I like that plan. Lets make trappers public employees.
Clearly some folks here already think we are public employees.

There could be trappers unions, trappers pension plans, trappers severance packages! Health benefits for trappers, government subsidized housing for trappers.

We could make trappers into wanna be postal workers.

That ought to work.

But before we do that iam offering SG a free tour of our line, and he has to pull his own weight and trap at least one wolf. There's also a 4 mile strech of trail that needs some serious chainsaw work, its all part of the deal.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:58 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357xp View Post

But before we do that iam offering SG a free tour of our line, and he has to pull his own weight and trap at least one wolf. There's also a 4 mile strech of trail that needs some serious chainsaw work, its all part of the deal.

ROFL Make sure you have him clean out a few beaver sets and show him how to reset the snares. He ought to enjoy that a lot as well.

Ice water up to the elbow at -40 sure gets the blood flowing doesn't it!

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-12-2013, 12:07 PM

Talking

Listen to you guys! I think you should all take a time out; ask your Mommies to make you a nice sandwich, and have some milk and a cookie...There, don't we feel a widdle bit better?

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 10-12-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly View Post
Listen to you guys! I think you should all take a time out; ask your Mommies to make you a nice sandwich, and have some milk and a cookie...There, don't we feel a widdle bit better?
I sure could use a sandwich right about now!
Old 10-12-2013, 12:25 PM

I don't doubt your abilities one bit SG. But blaming the trappers for not trapping wolves is kinda like me blaming sheep hunters why I've been eatin tag moose soup for the past few years.
Arguing on internet is all gettin us nowhere fast iam thinkin
Old 10-12-2013, 12:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
ROFL Make sure you have him clean out a few beaver sets and show him how to reset the snares. He ought to enjoy that a lot as well.

Ice water up to the elbow at -40 sure gets the blood flowing doesn't it!
Probably about the same amount of fun as guiding a late sheep season horse hunt. Saddling horses at -20. Trying to pack horses with bare hands and frozen ropes. Standing on a wind swept mountain trying to glass and then harvest something and have to cape and debone in this. Proccessing it 100% in the elements. Riding the first hour each time you get on your horse in a frozen leather seat. Holding ice cold bits in your bare hand to warm it so as to not jam a frozen one in a horses mouth. Spending from day light to dark out side with only the clothes on your back for any additions warmth as for the most part you out of tree line and a fire isnt always an option!

LOL yep poor trappers if only everyone could be as tough!!! I give them a ton of credit for what they do but god there are a couple here that seem to need a big S sewn on their buckskin coats!!
Old 10-12-2013, 12:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357xp View Post

Id gladly come out on my time off. Id like to see your trapping methods and maybe learn some things from you. I honestly would like to be able to see more of the trapping side from someone that has the knowledge.

And I ran chainsaw handcutting heli portable line in the foothills for a carreer right out of grade 11 for I think 4 years so im sure I should be able to figure out how to cut 4 miles of trail. Hmmm Guess it may be like cutting 20 - 30 miles of pack trail into new guiding areas much of which was done with an oxe head axe. Do I need to bring my own saws?

Funny how you seem to think you as a trapper are the only outdoor industry that works hard. Maybe I could return the trapping experience with a sheep guiding experience. You must trail in a string of horses after you have put the shoes on your string(usually 14 -16head so its not really much work) and preparing gear. Then head back in 20+ miles from the nearest road over a few days. The whole way clearing trail from the winter winds and snow. Once you get in to camp you then will need to replenish the wood supply for the next few months and enough to start the next season as well as open camp. New areas will need to be checked and new trails copped and marked as well old areas will need to be scouted and these trails also cleaned. All your gear to clear trails will need to be required to be carried on your saddle horse. Axe on one side of your saddle, chain saw in the rifle scabboard and gas oil and tools in your saddle bags if you take a saw. You must be able to climb a mountain every day. Be up at 4am to catch horses and saddle them all. Hunt all day getting back after dark. Then you will need to take care of the horses prior to eating or anything. If they require doctoring you will be required to take care of that as well. Shoes will need to be reset at intervals and you will be required to replace any that come loose or are lost. Then you must repeat this every day. You will be required to spot judge and harvest a ram feild dressing and caping then pack it back to camp. All the while taking care of a guy that is oiut of shape and has only ridden a horse twice if your lucky and keep him safe a few days ride back from the nearest road.

Im not sure but ill probably do ok at pulling my own weight!!! Hope the offer is still available this winter!!!!

Last edited by sheepguide; 10-12-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Closed Thread