Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-22-2012, 10:59 PM

Default Cross bows

OK boys, here is a can of worms.
Last year I got a questionaire from the Gov. Do you think cross bows should be allowed during archery only season. This was the last I heard of it. What do you think? I don't see why not, I can not pull my bow any more and I would still like to hunt during the bow season.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincherguy View Post
Last year I got a questionaire from the Gov. Do you think cross bows should be allowed during archery only season. This was the last I heard of it. What do you think? I don't see why not, I can not pull my bow any more and I would still like to hunt during the bow season.
how would you load the crossbow? how would you hold it to shoot?
Old 08-22-2012, 11:05 PM

Quote:
I think they should leave it the way it is!!! Archery and cross bows are not the same thing!
Old 08-22-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nait Hadya View Post
how would you load the crossbow? how would you hold it to shoot?
mine has a mechanical crank to cock it and shoot it like a rifle
Old 08-22-2012, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Then the answer is simple.

Go fill out the application for the special crossbow permit stating why you can't pull your bow and get a doctor to sign it. I have no issue at all with that. No can of worms here. Do what you have to do to keep on hunting. If I had a permanent injury or disability that prevented me from drawing a bow I would have no qualms about taking out a special crossbow permit.

Otherwise what are you driving at? Are you just trying to pick at old sores?
Old 08-22-2012, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
Then the answer is simple. Go fill out the application for the special crossbow permit stating why you can't pull your bow and get a doctor to sign it. I have no issue at all with that. No can of worms here. Do what you have to do to keep on hunting.
To get that you need to be totaly disabled, which I am not. I broke my elbow and my shoulder. I can just pull the bow but can't hold it. Too much pain not the lack of power. But thanks for the advice.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
To get that you need to be totaly disabled, which I am not. I broke my elbow and my shoulder. I can just pull the bow but can't hold it. Too much pain not the lack of power. But thanks for the advice.
That was not the understanding I had when I inquired. They are supposed to be making it less of a hassle to qualify. If your situation is not permanent then maybe you won't qualify. I wish you a fast recovery.

Last edited by 338Bluff; 08-22-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:46 PM

Would also like to add that in your situation I think SRD should have some sort of exemption.

If an individual cannot draw a bow for a legitimate medical reason they should get a permit. If the impairment is temporary then the permit could be season to season.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Would also like to add that in your situation I think SRD should have some sort of exemption.

If an individual cannot draw a bow for a legitimate medical reason they should get a permit. If the impairment is temporary then the permit could be season to season.
Thanks for your help. I do plan on using it to get my moose during the riflle season. So far all I've gotten is gophers but its fun to shoot.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:33 AM

Quote:
mine has a mechanical crank to cock it and shoot it like a rifle
This is why there is no place for it in archery
Old 08-23-2012, 12:33 AM

Quote:

Sounds fair!
Old 08-23-2012, 12:37 AM

Funny how we read of all the guys that can't pull the bow, but not mentioning they can't pull a 40 pound bow, or not even trying to pull a 40# bow.
You don't need 70 pounds.
There are lots of able bodied folks out there that can't draw 70#, yet they seem to do very well with light draw bows .
For the real handicaped person I have no problem with them using a crossbow, but it is sad when someone uses a doctors note to circumvent the real intent of the laws.
For $25 bucks a DR will fill out a note for work, or any other thing you can dream up.
Met a so called handicaped guy with his moose and his crossbow. Funny how he was miraculously fit and able to handle the job alone. He was tossing the quarters around like he was a friday night wrestler on Stu Hearts Stampeed wrestling.
Pete
Old 08-23-2012, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReayMan View Post
This is why there is no place for it in archery
It is still a short range primitive weapon, shoots the same amunition. The only difference is that you can hold it longer waiting for the animal to take the last step into the open for the good shot. They may be a little more accurate in some cases but I think that is a good thing. I have killed a lot of critters with my bow in the past, never lost one that I hit. I have seen lots of deer and elk with arrows stuck in them still alive due to bad shots. I wasn't opposed to them when I could still use mine and I still am not. IMO
Old 08-23-2012, 01:07 AM

http://www.swivelmachine.com/html/rimfire.htm

Are these next? for the guy that can't cock a crossbow. They shoot arrows, so it must be archery..
Old 08-23-2012, 01:32 AM

Default They have there place.

The way I see it is a lot of archery hunters start archery hunting because of a longer season and less pressure. Most are against more competition. I think since mule deer and moose are going to be Huntable with archery equipment only with a draw we may as well include crossbows in those archery seasons. I may not be politically correct but I'm diplomatic.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
The way I see it is a lot of archery hunters start archery hunting because of a longer season and less pressure. Most are against more competition. I think since mule deer and moose are going to be Huntable with archery equipment only with a draw we may as well include crossbows in those archery seasons. I may not be politically correct but I'm diplomatic.
I agree, the way it was explained to me when i moved here was that crossbows weren't allowed in archery seasons becuase archers didn't need to draw tags, they can hunt on general tags in most areas... if all the areas go to draw only, then who cares if people can use crossbows.

I hunted in Ontario more seasons than alberta... and having a bow season from oct 1st to dec 31 in a high hunter density (hunted in southern ontario) didnt seem to matter... they were issuing 5 doe tags per hunter in some areas to curb the deer population (Lanark county issued 5500 doe tags in one year). crossbow or compound- i still dont shoot past 40 yards.

if we legalize crossbows, of course more people will buy general moose, elk and mulie tags, that doesnt mean more animals harvested though.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
It is still a short range primitive weapon, shoots the same amunition. The only difference is that you can hold it longer waiting for the animal to take the last step into the open for the good shot. They may be a little more accurate in some cases but I think that is a good thing. I have killed a lot of critters with my bow in the past, never lost one that I hit. I have seen lots of deer and elk with arrows stuck in them still alive due to bad shots. I wasn't opposed to them when I could still use mine and I still am not. IMO
so, you post to a hunting site the misadventures of bow hunters with the hopes that it will some bring light to your plight. saying, because we miss you should be entitled to use a superior weapon that does not miss as much even with an inept shooter behind it.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:43 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
The vote was held and the majority rejected crossbows in archery season. Pretty much end of story.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nait Hadya View Post
so, you post to a hunting site the misadventures of bow hunters with the hopes that it will some bring light to your plight. saying, because we miss you should be entitled to use a superior weapon that does not miss as much even with an inept shooter behind it.
Wow you finally said something, I'm impressed
Old 08-24-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
The vote was held and the majority rejected crossbows in archery season. Pretty much end of story.
Ok boys I yield.