Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-02-2024, 02:27 PM

Default BBQ maintenance questions on 2 different units

I purchased a used propane Weber Q 120, I gave it a good deep clean, almost like new. I have a problem with not much flame and not getting very hot. My flame is about 1/8" tall at best. Sometimes the whole burner lites other times only small sections lite. This Q was designed to use 1lb bottles and that is what I am using. Any suggestions? a new regulator Fromm Bbq Country runs $75.00

My other Bbq is a Jackson grill stainless steel portable unit. About 20 years of no cleaning. I have got all the thick stuff off but it is still badly stained inside and out. Any suggestions as to cleaners to remove the gunk and make the outside look half decent?
Thanks guys.
Old 05-02-2024, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
I purchased a used propane Weber Q 120, I gave it a good deep clean, almost like new. I have a problem with not much flame and not getting very hot. My flame is about 1/8" tall at best. Sometimes the whole burner lites other times only small sections lite. This Q was designed to use 1lb bottles and that is what I am using. Any suggestions? a new regulator Fromm Bbq Country runs $75.00
Did you take the burner off and check the orifice (and the end of the burner)? Spider can block things up pretty good. And take a wire brush the the burner and make sure that all the holes are clear.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 05-02-2024, 02:44 PM

Quote:

My other Bbq is a Jackson grill stainless steel portable unit. About 20 years of no cleaning. I have got all the thick stuff off but it is still badly stained inside and out. Any suggestions as to cleaners to remove the gunk and make the outside look half decent?
Thanks guys.
Check the air intake for the burners and the inside of the burner tubes, spiders like to get in there and make webs.

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-02-2024, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
Did you take the burner off and check the orifice (and the end of the burner)? Spider can block things up pretty good. And take a wire brush the the burner and make sure that all the holes are clear.

ARG
This. Wire brushing my entire burner tube really helped it.
Old 05-02-2024, 03:58 PM

yes, i took a paper clip and cleaned out all the holes on the burner, cleaned the burner blew it out with the compressor and ran high pressure water through the tube in case of any obstructions. I also made sure the propane was full.
I am now looking at doing some of the hacks on you tube for low flame.
Old 05-02-2024, 04:47 PM

Hook up a 20 pound bottle and see if that ups the flame. If it is the regulator you dont need to spend 75 bucks for a weber. Lots of much cheaper ones will fit. Amazon, CT, Home Depot all have them for way less, like 25 to 35 bucks.
Old 05-02-2024, 05:12 PM

Ah yes the drilling orifice hole bigger,youtube hack.You only need to go a couple thousands bigger.
If you go too big you then have to use the valve to adjust flame,kinda finicky.
Engine degreaser for cleaning.
Old 05-02-2024, 05:23 PM

Do not drill the orifice. You need theright needle drill for that job. It is cheaper to just get a natural gas jet.
Old 05-02-2024, 05:33 PM

Thanks guys for the replies. No I wont drill it.
Old 05-02-2024, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Do not drill the orifice. You need theright needle drill for that job. It is cheaper to just get a natural gas jet.
But everybody needs a set of orifice drills and a pin vise!

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 05-02-2024, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
But everybody needs a set of orifice drills and a pin vise!

ARG
Damn, what was I thinking. Of course they do.
Old 05-02-2024, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Yeah the hacks on you tube forget to mention that,it can be done though.You can have 8" flames.lol.
Old 05-02-2024, 06:07 PM

Took the 1lb bottle off and hooked up the 20lb bottle and could not even get to light. disconnected tank and re installed 1lb bottle and the q started right away.
Old 05-02-2024, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Took the 1lb bottle off and hooked up the 20lb bottle and could not even get to light. disconnected tank and re installed 1lb bottle and the q started right away.
Odds on bet your regulator has an issue. Turn the 20 pounder on its head, same issue then it is pretty much the regulator for sure. The more pressure you put on a bad regulator the less gas that gets through, as wierd as that sounds.
Old 05-02-2024, 06:16 PM

ok i"ll give it a go in a bit. thanks
Old 05-03-2024, 01:43 PM

Default Regulator

I have a Weber Q that was giving me the same issue and tried everything.
As a last resort changed out the regulator and now she runs great.
WDF