Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-02-2015, 06:35 PM

Default A tribute to the AO Icers

A tribute to the AO Icers out there, from triumphs to tragedies…

Triumphs

Got this guy yesterday at Devils by the river about 18ft of water.

Dont have the word's to properly convey the shock of catching this fish out of a lake ful of stockies. Wohoo just abt 22" and ill say pushing 4lb . Thankx to my buds for taking the time to explore new waters.

Oh my God! “It’s a ****** shark!” Authors note that was really cool.

Sleeping on the ice in outfitters tent.
As the title says I'm planning on setting up my tent next weekend with my cousin and brother for a three day fishing trip. I've never done this or seen anyone do it in my mind it should work but maybe I'm out to lunch. Has any one ever done this if so any info would be appreciated, like what worked for you and what didn't work thanks.

Tragedies

Lake newell ice shack thefts and arson
Hello everyone, for those of you who have ice huts out on newell please go out and check them. Mine was stolen and burnt to the ground. several others have been burnt or stolen also. Pretty sad and concerning. My daughter is devastated as we spent all out time out there. Now we have no hut auger or gear for the rest of the winter awesome! So heads up and go have a look and report it to the RCMP please!
Cheers!

Skating on thin ice..

And back to triumphs once more…

Damn. I have your scoop for you , about all that was left. However if he gets off scottfree I do have a local rattlesnake pit Id be happy to help you introduce his teste-less carcase to in the spring. Meantime if you neec a tent the rest of the season let me know this has left me even sicker of the human race. What a way ti ruin something close to my heart.

Originally Posted by biggyJ
Picked up a couple of tip ups last weekend. Tried them out this weekend and didnt pick anything up on them, but did on my rod and reel.

I am just wondering how some of you guys set them up. I am wondering if the heavy braid was spooking some fish.

What I have done is attached a swivel and clip directly to the heavy braid, then connected it to my two hooks for my smelt.

I am wondering if I should maybe size down my line? Maybe go to a swivel and then from there a smaller diameter braid or fluro, and then connect to my metal bait hooks?

I am mostly using them for pike, and I know that they are usually not that shy, but I have never used a tip up before so looking for some best practices.
I use heavy braid for my tip ups and never an issue for pike and even walleye....However, I also use braided on my heavy rods to and no issues...Sometimes the fish just don't bite....chalk it up to a slow day..lol

Make sure you try between 6 and 12" off the bottom as well...

Also, sometimes i will have a smelt on the bottom ( Going for the burbs..lol) and one just off the bottom to see what may work that day

Was really nice to be able to follow these events with you. Really takes me back.
Thank you.
Bones.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:37 PM

One of the coolest threads to grace aof.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:42 PM

I read a lot of stuff the last few weeks too much to mention here
but it was all good, just wanted to say thanks for sharing.
Almost like being there.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:26 PM

Wow bonescreek awsome thread
Old 02-02-2015, 07:41 PM

X2 very unique post, really enjoyed it. Great to see Someone point out the positives...it doesn't happen enough, Well done!
#1 win the lottery (so I could fish everyday)
#2 & 3 still thinking.....