Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-23-2013, 04:41 PM

Default 4th Class Power Engineering Steam Time

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to read my thread. I have a few questions about the requirements of 'steam time' to grant the ability to write the ABSA 4th class test.

I am currently enrolled at RDC for 4th Class Theory - Part A/B. I will be starting in the Fall and finishing in April, 2014. RDC does not offer the practical (Steam time), and with some research I have learned the required amount is 6 months.

Now this is where I need your guys's help. For the past year I have been working as a Leak Seal Technician(To some you may refer to this as Furmanite) in Refineries / Gas plants across Western Canada. Installing quills for Valve Packings, installing Leak boxes(coffins), Hot tapping, as well as Line Freezing.

Would this work experience qualify as Steam time?
With the completion of "4th Class Theory", would I be able to write the ABSA exam?

Thank you in advance for your time, and help.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:50 PM

Try the lil search button up top
Old 04-23-2013, 05:10 PM

I searched through the first 4 pages of threads under the search 'steam time' before I created this thread . I thank you gander for the reply, but I am afraid this question is a little too specific for the search feature.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:16 PM

This is absolutely ridiculous.
If your enrolled you know very well that ABSA is the governing body of power engineers. Call them.
Question answered. Lock the thread
Old 04-23-2013, 05:18 PM

Why not just call the absa in the morning and get your answer right from the horses mouth.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:22 PM

No, does not qualify.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:28 PM

Not looking to start a flame war...

I originally enrolled at NAIT for the 1 year course. To guarantee a spot in the program I need to upgrade to Math 30. At RDC I do not need to upgrade. I called ABSA this morning, but was unable to get a definitive answer from the lady I talked too, she directed me to another number to call. I called this number, no answer, I left a message have not heard back.

All fine and dandy, I will continue to try and get a hold of someone that knows the answer.

"Absolutely ridiculous" thanks for enlightening me with your all-knowing knowledge.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:37 PM

I just gave you the answer.

I'm saving you from chasing your tail around. Even guys with steam tickets can have a hard time getting steam time for their next class of ticket while they are working AT A PLANT WITH A TICKET already!

No chief would ever give steam time for the position you described.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:49 PM

This is where I am unclear, what exactly does 'Steam time' entitle? I have searched long and hard to find this answer but have not come up with anything. I do on-line leak repair, sometimes in upwards of 2500+ psi of roaring steam. If a plant has a leak in a system that they do not want to take offline (Shutdown the unit or even plant) they call in us.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:57 PM

"Steam time" means you are under direct control and supervision of pressurized equipment (generally steam generators and associated equipment).

Basically, if you ain't writing in the log book, you ain't operating.

PM me if you have more questions, dont need to drag out another PE thread.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:30 PM

If you are generating steam ie a fired pressure vessel (boiler), and responsible for it you are not getting steam time.
So to answer your question no.
Upgrade your education and go back to NAIT. Way easier.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sznak14 View Post
This is where I am unclear, what exactly does 'Steam time' entitle? I have searched long and hard to find this answer but have not come up with anything. I do on-line leak repair, sometimes in upwards of 2500+ psi of roaring steam. If a plant has a leak in a system that they do not want to take offline (Shutdown the unit or even plant) they call in us.
So how do you temp fix the leaks, put a "casket" around the area?
Old 04-23-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcmax05 View Post
So how do you temp fix the leaks, put a "casket" around the area?
Usually they coffin it and fill the coffin with some kind of goop that solidifies from what I have seen at different places I've seen them installed. Also have seen them hot tap right into valves and use the same sort of goop to "kill" the leak.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:27 PM

- have been employed for a period of three months in a power plant described in clause (A)(I) , have been employed for a period of 12 months in a capacity satisfactory to the administrator in the design, construction, repair, maintenance or operation of pressure equipment to which the act applies and have successfully completed a course in power engineering satisfactory to the administrator.

Thats from the safety codes act... Technically anyone working with the repair, maintenance, construction, instalation or operation of equipment regulated by the safety codes act could write.... If you are repairing steam lines, valves, headers, intrumentation you could probably write the B exam. I would imagine there is a whole section in the code books for people who do the type of work you do.

I would definitely push the issue, and keep looking to find some one who knows the codes very well. Some people are more lax, a millright could write the exam easy, even welders or boiler service people etc.

I could be mis understanding it but I do believe it is not a huge jump to get from maintenance to operations. It may be tougher being a contractor who works at a variety of plants but if you were a millright or something at a gas plant or pulp mill or something where you encounter boilers etc it wouldnt be a stretch to get time for the work.

Some places if your in the plant your getting time, there are alot of exceptions for maintenance people and process operators who don't deal with steam etc directly thselves.

Last edited by 79ford; 04-23-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:38 PM

Thanks for the info 79ford!

To answer your question gmcmax05, wcthemi basically got it right. Their are many names for them...leak boxes, coffins, enclosures(Also Channel/Tongue Clamps to seal flanges) etc...Measured, designed and engineered to enclose pretty much everything. Bolted and torqued up, and injected with sealant (which there is many kinds for different processes/temperatures). On high pressure leaks, peening is required. Which is using a pneumatic chisel on the split lines/bores to fold the metal together which gives it a tighter seal and helps keep the sealant inside the cavity of the box.

Thanks again for all the information!
Old 04-23-2013, 10:06 PM

http://absa.ca/ECprogram/PowerEngine...Engineers.aspx