Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-15-2009, 06:15 PM

Default Let's pretend

OK no one is going to say the upcoming fur season is going to be good re fur prices. However life goes on and this to will pass. In light of depressed prices I'm tossing around whether to spend my time trapping or trail building. I have a significant amount of trail that needs major work in order to open up a large portion of my line. I believe I'll chase martens in November and reassess after that. The one thing not up for option is less bush time. Always something to do on the line. What's your plan in light of a gloomy forecast?
Old 10-15-2009, 09:08 PM

Being as I don't live where there are registered traplines and coyotes are by far my biggest target, I'm going to play more this year. Meaning I'll try and learn more about catching different target animals and different lures and scents just to see what pulls where.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:21 PM

Smile

I too am wondering all the what if's for this year. I think martin , lynx , wolf and at least one fisher. The fisher only cuzz I have'nt trapped one yet and like to mount all my firsts. Maybe get my permits in place for a cabin and get the site prep work done this winter on the frost. I'm sure whatever I do the winter still won't be long enough for me to get every thing Iwant to do done, it never is. No matter how bleak the market gets,when the mercury starts to drop and the snow flakes fall I can't get out there fast enough! have a great season everyone ,be safe and don't forget to have fun... Jim
Old 10-16-2009, 07:03 AM

Default 09/10 season

I'm on a search and destroy mission. They are logging my best marten area and are leaving 6 blocks until last so I can trap. They have over half the area logged already with 1 months notice and every piece of standing timber will be gone for 8 miles. How do I trap in September? Anyways the small piece they are leaving until the end I am going to hit hard and clean out in December ( too many hunters out to trap the area before then). After that I'll run a wolf bait and setup a line of lynx sets with a few marten sets sprinkled in between. Any otter or fisher would be a bonus.
I just moved into my new acerage and should have heat in the garage on saturday as I'm spraying in the roof insulation today and I just have to finish wiring in the unit heater. I'm setting up the back corner of the garage as my skinning shed. I hope to have a good mix of fur hanging before christmas.