Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 07-05-2009, 09:09 PM
Banned

Default Sorry Looking Sight

That I what I have to look at when I stand in front of a mirror. The reason I say that, is because, after looking forward and planning to attend, since the location was confirmed at Sundre, I was unable to be there. I was doing not to bad a job of juggling three different events but an unscheduled celebration of a cousins life made it just to difficult to be at them all. I was able to make a showing at a family reunion, on my mothers side, however was not able to be with my other family - that of my fellow trappers-. This one was the first one I've missed and was the one I looked forward to the most. Yeah, there will be a next year, but it won't be the same... that's why I'm such a sorry sight. Pls , someone, fill me in on what happened... PM me your ph# and I'll landline you.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:49 AM

Default Sundre Convention

You missed a record breaking convention, I hear the next one is at lloydminster
Old 07-08-2009, 11:59 AM
Banned

Glad to hear from you Fast Elk, but do you think your comment will really make me feel any better ? . Do you know if we had the usual good showing from our friends in BC..
Old 07-08-2009, 02:45 PM

Hey there sourdough doug, sorry to hear about your cousin. My condolences. I have not been to a trappers convention in years. Any idea when they are going to have one closer to westlock?
Old 07-08-2009, 05:55 PM

Convention was a lot of fun. My 8 year old son was in his glory skinning squirrels.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:30 AM
Banned

Default HellO SCO

Really hard to say when the next one will be in the vicinity, now that they move them around to whomever wants to be the host and has the facilities. I would think, though , that in sev years there will be one somewheres to the west . It is possible that, they may be taking bookings for more than a year in advance. Initially, the locals were abit hesitant in doing such an undertaking but now some are doing a very good job - Sundre , for eg..
---- Hope you had some good hunts this spring---
Old 07-10-2009, 09:58 PM

You trappers are sure an understating bunch. Not a trapper, other than snaring a few gophers, but I thought I'd check it out anyways, after getting a recomendation, from my trapper friend, Bill, who incidentally had a couple of real beauties to enter in the fur competition. Almost lost interest, because according to this site, the trade fair was apparently on Friday only. Wrong.
Lots of interesting exhibits to be seen. Tools of the trade, Artistry, taxidermists, etc. etc. Really interesting for me was the collection of antique traps, including set guns. Apparently, they don't even qualify as a restricted weapon. Same as your ram set gun, the man told me. Also, one hummer of a leg hold trap, suitable for your basic dinosaur Had a chat with the man from the Alberta Conservation Association and the valuable role they perform, for all of us. Never even noticed their logo on the back of my hunting license. Met some old friends and made a couple of new. Unbelievable, the amount of items in the silent auction. Attended a presentation on somebody's suggestion about what was "probably" a lecture on fire suppression. Turned out it was a job fair for fire look outs. Anybody need one, I can give em an application form. Big Daddy Morton was speaking at the same time, so we had a very intimate presentation. Finished early, so I rushed over to the packed curling ring to catch the tail end of Morton's speech, just before the PETA guys turned off the power. That was his joke, by the way. Gotta wonder where we'd be, if he'd become premier? Good to see lots of kids and family oriented stuff.
Had an excellent sandwich and whoever made those cherry turnovers, deserves a knighthood. Why is it that councillor Liz and I always greet eat other, with a mouth full of food? I just hope that bear carcass, in the back, wasn't there for the banquet.

Great Show, guys.
Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 07-11-2009 at 08:19 AM.