Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-31-2015, 10:20 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up Akumal Bay Mexico

Hello Folks,

Reality check, it's freakin cold here! Just got back from Two weeks in Alkumal Bay Beach Resort in Mexico. Wow is all I can say. Brought two collapsible medium weight rods, spin cast reels, 20 lbs test line, throwing XRaps and small spoons. Morning was the most productive catching whatever hit and I tell ya there was no downtime. Action was a hit or fish on every 10 to 20 casts, lost a huge don't know as it broke the treble hook, saw the length of the fish twice in the 10 minute battle as it was about 3 feet in length, Barracuda? Oh well!
Basically I spent my time south of Akumal bay as you can not fish in the bay, found out by the local authorities who were nice enough to direct me to where the fish were.
I basically had a fishing vest on equipped with all the necessities, wade out to about waist deep and start casting, most productive day was the roughest day in which I took a beating to keep my balance, take a picture or two and then release the fish. A lot more pictures were taken, caught a lot of variety species, thought I would share a few, if you have any questions about the area PM me.
IMAG1673.jpg

DSC01053.JPG

DSC01057.JPG

DSC01297.JPG

DSC01308.JPG

DSC01312.JPG

DSC01380.JPG

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-31-2015, 10:23 AM

Default Pics

Beautiful pics
That's my happy place, been there a dozen times thanks for sharing
Old 01-31-2015, 10:41 AM

Smile More pictures

Like I mentioned earlier day was set up to morning fish (two weeks worth) unless doing the tourist thing! Afternoons of snorkeling and hanging out, rough life!
DSC00663.JPG

DSC00685.JPG

DSC00688.JPG

DSC00689.JPG

DSC00846.JPG

DSC00858.JPG

DSC01080.JPG

Old 01-31-2015, 10:45 AM

That is an nice bonefish you caught. what a great way to spend your vacation.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:16 AM

It was simply amazing how many fish I caught in a few hours each day not really targeting and specific species nor working my butt off and spending cash on a guide!

Old 01-31-2015, 11:49 AM

Love it! Some guys spend a mint, and fret and fuss for days to get the 'perfect' bonefish lure or fly, and you're catching them on a rusty spoon! Well done.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Love it! Some guys spend a mint, and fret and fuss for days to get the 'perfect' bonefish lure or fly, and you're catching them on a rusty spoon! Well done.
The spoon rusted up while he was fishing the salt.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
The spoon rusted up while he was fishing the salt.
True, you really got to rinse things off after a morning of fishing, room bathroom looks like a beauty salon and tackle shop between the wife and I!

Old 02-01-2015, 08:38 AM

Default Fishing Licence

Looks like good fun. Heading down to the Mayan and wondering if you needed to buy a fishing licence for fishing from shore. Thanks.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosesqaw View Post
Looks like good fun. Heading down to the Mayan and wondering if you needed to buy a fishing licence for fishing from shore. Thanks.
No licence required. Just talk to the local workers, avoid the people at or near fishing boats because you get the song and dance routine. I just talked to locals who were cleaning the beach and within a day I was on the fishing spots, also bumped into local spear fishing locals who helped too.
Bring small spoons of various colors, the bonefish really liked the silver backed blue and white. I also had a bunch of XRaps, 2.5" and 3 ", silver or silver blue produced the best. I ran a steal leader 8" which helps out when the buggers ran into the coral and rocks. Good luck!

Old 02-01-2015, 10:37 AM

Those fish are bigger than the ones we got going out with a guide in Playa!!
Definitely bring the pack rod next time.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
True, you really got to rinse things off after a morning of fishing, room bathroom looks like a beauty salon and tackle shop between the wife and I!
Our bathroom looked the same when we were in Mexico two weeks ago.

Good thing she brought her jewelry tree so I could hang things to dry.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosesqaw View Post
No license required when fishing from shore.

Before fishing in Mexican waters all anglers must have a valid Mexican Sport Fishing License. This license covers all types of fishing and is valid anywhere in Mexico. These licenses may be purchased a day, week, month or year. Aboard private boats in Mexican waters everyone must have a fishing license if there is any fishing gear, fish, or fish parts on board. The boat operators normally provide licenses for people fishing on charter sport fishing boats, but check before you go out on the boat. A fishing license is also required for underwater fishing. A fishing license is not required when fishing from land.

 It is illegal to capture and maintain alive any fish for ornamental purposes.
 It is prohibited to receive any financial gain from the product obtained through sportfishing.
 It is prohibited to dump trash, litter or substances that harm the aquatic flora or fauna, whether on lakes, river banks, shores or oceanic waters.
 It is prohibited to collect shells, corals, sea anemones and snails, or to disturb the original ecosystem environment.
 It is prohibited to practice sportfishing 250 meters or less from swimmers.
 It is prohibited to use artificial lighting to attract large quantities of fish.
 It is prohibited to discharge firearms in Mexican waters.
 Fish caught under a sportfishing license may not be filletted aboard the vessel from which it was caught

Last edited by drifter; 02-01-2015 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Average morning 3 hour fish I would catch between 8 - 12 bonefish and a hockey sock of other species. Good thing which I enjoyed was that you were out on your own and had to figure it out which was all part of the adventure.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:06 PM

Thanks to everyone on the replys and a big thanks to 58thecat on the lure choices. Going to dig around in the old tackle and see what I can find. Looks like no sleeping in on this holiday.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:56 PM

Thanks for sharing the pics ! Looks like you had a blast.

I'm headed for Maui pretty quick and thought about doing exactly what you are doing. Are all/any of the fish good to eat? Anything non-edible I should look out for ?
Old 02-01-2015, 05:21 PM

Did you try jigs of any sort?
Old 02-02-2015, 07:48 AM

No jigs were used but that does not mean they won't work. I was spin casting and was a catch, picture and release. Some of the fish I did not even think of touching as they looked like they could inflick pain so I held the leader and used the pliers to release them. Actually all or most were released like that. Kept in the water, quick picture than let them go, many hung around my legs for a while to get their wind back then swam off, these fish fight really hard and strip line off like no tomorrow!
A method I used in Cuba was to have a Tupperware container, go to the buffet and fill it with shrimp etc, walk out to a reef, use a jig, hook on a hunk of shrimp or whatever, toss it out towards the reef and hang on, another cheap, exciting way to fish and again you never know what will be on the line.
Enjoy! Post pictures when you get back.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
No license required when fishing from shore.

Before fishing in Mexican waters all anglers must have a valid Mexican Sport Fishing License. This license covers all types of fishing and is valid anywhere in Mexico. These licenses may be purchased a day, week, month or year. Aboard private boats in Mexican waters everyone must have a fishing license if there is any fishing gear, fish, or fish parts on board. The boat operators normally provide licenses for people fishing on charter sport fishing boats, but check before you go out on the boat. A fishing license is also required for underwater fishing. A fishing license is not required when fishing from land.
Bolded parts seem contradictory. You are still fishing Mexican waters if fishing from shore. Do you mean that you must have a license to fish from a boat? But if you wade, no license.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Bolded parts seem contradictory. You are still fishing Mexican waters if fishing from shore. Do you mean that you must have a license to fish from a boat? But if you wade, no license.
Correct

Old 02-02-2015, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
No License required.

The one I would worry about more is on the boat.

How many have gone out on a guided trip and actually asked to see the licenses from the guide.