Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-01-2011, 08:21 PM

I put over 6000kms a month on my truck, so yes i do take an hour here and out of my day to take a shot at a coyote.

Come and go as i please? WTF? Its called fitting in some RR when you have a chance. Guys like me keep this province rolling ,sacrificing quality home time to get the job done!

40 hrs a week and 300 hrs a year overtime is a joke compared to what alot of guys who have a real mans job.

My fiancee works 5 days a week from 5:30am -7:00pm, and some weekends as well. Some people work damn hard in this province to try to get ahead, then we hear someone sound so proud to gloat about 300-400hrs overtime! Whats that, 30-40hrs a month on top of your 40hr week?

I appoligize about getting worked up, i guess i'm just jealous of someone who can get out more than me.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by browning375 View Post
I work over 340 hours a month average, 24hr oncall. 21 days on 4 days off. I manage an oilfield service company, and plus own a side business as well.
I take it your not into ''long range shooting'' either ...
Old 01-01-2011, 08:30 PM

I guess this isn't a good time to mention that I can get out to the range before work and at lunch time, is it?
Cat
Old 01-01-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .330 Dakota View Post
Being a handloader for 30 years I must comment here. I have loaded and hunted with the 300 Win Mag for many years and there is absolutely NOTHING on this continent that it wont kill, and kill very quickly. That said a bear shot in the foot is a bear shot in the foot regardless if it is with the 30-30 or a 458.
Shot placement is key of course but the 300 Win has lots of umph. The need for the short mag is simple. MARKETING. they are out of ideas so they reinvent the wheel with a shorter and harder kicking round.
I have shot the 300wsm in several rifles and it definately has a sharper snap than the regular 300.
Just no practical need for it IMHO, as the 1/2 inch in rifle oal you save isnt really the issue now is it.
I wouldnt consider it marketing. There's some advantages to the short both ballistically ( less powder, more efficient burn that come with short case) and physically ( less weight, shorter throw, quicker chambering )
And 2 guns equal, recoil has to be less with the short.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
40 hours is a pretty standard work week,and I work 42 hours plus overtime.I spend an extra 1-1/2 hours to 2 hours traveling to and from work each day.

So how many hours a week do you work?How many hours of overtime each year?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
I take it your not into ''long range shooting'' either ...
Ha ha ha! I just like getting Elkhunter rouled up! Not much of a paper shooter, i like shooting animate objects like coyotes at 400yrds.

I do like going to the rocky mtn house range! It has metal cut outs of pigs at 400 yrds and a sheep at 600 yrds which are pretty fun to shoot. Great fun! If you go there , bring a can of floresent paint to spray the targets, then you can see where you are hitting.

My russian SVT works awsome at 600yrds!
Old 01-01-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:

I wouldnt consider it marketing. There's some advantages to the short both ballistically ( less powder, more efficient burn that come with short case) and physically ( less weight, shorter throw, quicker chambering )
And 2 guns equal, recoil has to be less with the short.
The felt recoil difference in both cartridges is so negligible that it is not noticed.
The difference in length between a 300win mag action and a short mag action is also not that much that it can be used to an advantage.
As far as burn rate and other nuances go, the shortmag cases are thicker so the pressures can have be brought up , so the end result is the same in the throat department, and the velocity differences are also so little that it makes no difference in the field.

This is just my opinion, but we did some range testing to see if it was in fact true, and although we used factory guns , with different actions, we got the weight the same .
Any difference in the the rifle itself, not the cartridge.
Cat
Old 01-01-2011, 09:01 PM

:QUOTE=catnthehat;783478]The felt recoil difference in both cartridges is so negligible that it is not noticed.
The difference in length between a 300win mag action and a short mag action is also not that much that it can be used to an advantage.
As far as burn rate and other nuances go, the shortmag cases are thicker so the pressures can have be brought up , so the end result is the same in the throat department, and the velocity differences are also so little that it makes no difference in the field.

This is just my opinion, but we did some range testing to see if it was in fact true, and although we used factory guns , with different actions, we got the weight the same .
Cat[/QUOTE]

Ya Cat...but I'd like to know.

Did u go to the range before work or at lunch ?

Old 01-01-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
:QUOTE=catnthehat;783478]The felt recoil difference in both cartridges is so negligible that it is not noticed.

Cat
Ya Cat...but I'd like to know.

Did u go to the range before work or at lunch ?

[/QUOTE]

Like the tests, it doesn't really matter, the results were the same!:<)
Cat
Old 01-01-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
40 hrs a week and 300 hrs a year overtime is a joke compared to what alot of guys who have a real mans job.
Before judging my job,perhaps you should spend a year on one of the sites up here.

Sometimes our job is quite enjoyable,the weather is nice,and you get a clean easy job.

But things aren't that enjoyable when a piece of equipment fails 150 feet up a vessel and it's -40 outside.You get to bundle up,grab your tools,climb 150 feet of ladders,exposed to the cold and wind,then you check out the equipment.If you are really lucky,you might be able to fix the equipment in short order with the tools you are carrying.If not,you might spend hours on that vessel at -40 with no heat, working on the equipment.In all probability,you will need to get parts or special tools,so you get to climb down the ladders,walk to the shop,get what you need,walk back to the vessel,climb those 150feet of ladders again,and go back to work.

But it isn't always cold,sometimes you get to work between the cells of a furnace where it is +50 degrees.You get to climb those ladders again,and spend hours wiping the sweat out of your eyes,trying to get the job finished.

If you are really lucky,you get to work between the furnace cells when it is -40 outside.You bundle up,walk to the furnace,climb the ladders,then strip down so that you can stand the +50 degrees between the cells.Then after you are all sweated up,you get to bundle up,and try to walk back to the shop before you freeze.

Naturally we also get rain,and since much of our work is outside,we often spend an entire day in the rain.No matter what kind of raingear you wear,after a few hours,the water always finds a way in,and if it doesn't,you are sweated up from wearing raingear anyways.

Then there are the dirty jobs,where you get to crawl around in dirt or oily surfaces all day.Or you work in a smelly plant so it takes three hot showers to make the smell go away after you go home stinking.

These days,I typically work 300 to 400 hours overtime per year,but when I started out in the early 80s,I often worked 30 days or more straight during outages,because the company really didn't follow the labor standards like they do now.Some days,I started at 8am,and worked until 8am the following morning,to get a plant running,but 12 hour days were the norm.I often worked over 700 hours of overtime per year in those days.Some people still work over 700 hours per year,but I choose not to,because I don't need the money that bad,and I want to enjoy life while I still can.

I am not complaining about my job,because we choose to work at that job,and we are very well paid for what we do,but you driving around in your truck or being on call really doesn't sound all that manly to me after doing my job for over 30 years.It actually sounds more like a vacation compared to many of our days at work.

Ask Catnthehat,how much fun it is to erect scaffold 100 feet in the air at -40,I don't hear the scaffolders complaining that it isn't manly enough.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 01-01-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:

Ask Catnthehat,how much fun it is to erect scaffold 100 feet in the air at -40,I don't hear the scaffolders complaining that it isn't manly enough.
These days they have me ridin' a desk in town, but yup, I've logged over 25 years doin' that.
Typical midwinter nightshift radio call:
"Team 31 process to team scaffolders?"
"Go for Team scaffold!"
"It's too cold to work up on C-11- the boyz need a hoarding up there on PSV14"
" Roger that !" Crap guys, the danged instrument techs can't work because of the cold. They want US to build a hoarding on top if C11 before they can go up"
"WTF?? are we doin' up there then??!! "
" Well, I LIKE my job - you? it's because you didn't wanna become an accountant and dropped out , remember?"LMAO!!
Cat
Old 01-02-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurly View Post
OHHH but he will. over and over and over.
You were right!
Old 01-02-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
OHHH but he will. over and over and over.
Quote:
You were right!
The man asked questions,and I answered.

As for your contributions to this thread,I don't see a single post from either of you that even mentioned the topic.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Before judging my job,perhaps you should spend a year on one of the sites up here.

Sometimes our job is quite enjoyable,the weather is nice,and you get a clean easy job.

But things aren't that enjoyable when a piece of equipment fails 150 feet up a vessel and it's -40 outside.You get to bundle up,grab your tools,climb 150 feet of ladders,exposed to the cold and wind,then you check out the equipment.If you are really lucky,you might be able to fix the equipment in short order with the tools you are carrying.If not,you might spend hours on that vessel at -40 with no heat, working on the equipment.In all probability,you will need to get parts or special tools,so you get to climb down the ladders,walk to the shop,get what you need,walk back to the vessel,climb those 150feet of ladders again,and go back to work.

But it isn't always cold,sometimes you get to work between the cells of a furnace where it is +50 degrees.You get to climb those ladders again,and spend hours wiping the sweat out of your eyes,trying to get the job finished.

If you are really lucky,you get to work between the furnace cells when it is -40 outside.You bundle up,walk to the furnace,climb the ladders,then strip down so that you can stand the +50 degrees between the cells.Then after you are all sweated up,you get to bundle up,and try to walk back to the shop before you freeze.

Naturally we also get rain,and since much of our work is outside,we often spend an entire day in the rain.No matter what kind of raingear you wear,after a few hours,the water always finds a way in,and if it doesn't,you are sweated up from wearing raingear anyways.

Then there are the dirty jobs,where you get to crawl around in dirt or oily surfaces all day.Or you work in a smelly plant so it takes three hot showers to make the smell go away after you go home stinking.

These days,I typically work 300 to 400 hours overtime per year,but when I started out in the early 80s,I often worked 30 days or more straight during outages,because the company really didn't follow the labor standards like they do now.Some days,I started at 8am,and worked until 8am the following morning,to get a plant running,but 12 hour days were the norm.I often worked over 700 hours of overtime per year in those days.Some people still work over 700 hours per year,but I choose not to,because I don't need the money that bad,and I want to enjoy life while I still can.

I am not complaining about my job,because we choose to work at that job,and we are very well paid for what we do,but you driving around in your truck or being on call really doesn't sound all that manly to me after doing my job for over 30 years.It actually sounds more like a vacation compared to many of our days at work.

Well come to work with me one day then! I work with explosives, radioactive sources and high pressure sour gas! On top of that, when i'm done working on a site for 12hours or more, i still have to drive another couple of hours home!

Plant work is pretty gravy, get out and work on a service rig, drilling rig, or any other job that is not union and see what its like. When we work, there is no coffee breaks, you grab a sandwich when you can as long as it does not hold up any one. you work till your part of the job is done, then you rig out move to your next location rig up and go again!

And again we do it because we love our jobs!
Old 01-02-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Well come to work with me one day then! I work with explosives, radioactive sources and high pressure sour gas! On top of that, when i'm done working on a site for 12hours or more, i still have to drive another couple of hours home!

Plant work is pretty gravy, get out and work on a service rig, drilling rig, or any other job that is not union and see what its like. When we work, there is no coffee breaks, you grab a sandwich when you can as long as it does not hold up any one. you work till your part of the job is done, then you rig out move to your next location rig up and go again!

Now we've REALLY drifted this thread off course!!
maybe we should get back to our regular program!!( grin)
Cat
Old 01-02-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:

And while both you and elk were partying or sleeping New Years Eve, I was at the top of a power pole fixing a broken wire @ 4 in the morning.
I think my job sucks the most !!!!
Old 01-02-2011, 09:30 AM

I thank you for that! Guys like you make our lives easier, and thanks again for keeping the power on!

What are we talking about again? LMAO!!!
Old 01-02-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
The plants that we work in contain H2S,sour naptha,and many other toxic substances,some of which the engineers can't even identify.A leak from pretty much any process line in the plants is potentially toxic.As well,most products in the plants are extremely flammable or explosive,so a fire,or an explosion could occur at any time,almost anywhere in the plants.Many plants contain products that are so flammable,and at such high pressures,a simple leak instantly flashes off into a fireball.As well we have 900psi steam,so if there is a leak,you can't see it,but it can instantly dismember a body.The QA people working with use use radioactive sources.We work with very high voltage where a simple mistake can kill a person instantly.Much of our work is done at heights and icy ladders and stairs are a common hazard.
On a good day,I can be home from work in less than an hour,but in winter that time can easily double due to road conditions.There is only one road to the plants,and I have been stuck at work for hours due to accidents,and even because of forest fires that cut off the road.

As tough as you think you may have it, you certainly don't have a monopoly on hazards or on inconvenience.

As for the original topic,it seems to have died out a ways back.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:45 AM

Canadianbigbuck, I'd say go with the 300wsm !!
Old 01-02-2011, 09:51 AM

Default 300

There is a reason I and a lot of other people have not contributed to the topic Elk.You seem to want to control any thread related to shooting or loading.No matter what anybody says you have to break it sentence by sentence. Cut and paste it to death, to prove them wrong.You are completly ruining some threads, by taking them so far off topic, its not even funny.There is no dout you are extremely knowledgable, about hunting, shooting, and loading, but to me you cutting and pasting, and scrutenizing, word for word , is very rude, and is stopping a lot of other people from contributing,This is the best forum anywhere that I have found, but it takes participation by all to make it that way.I by no means want an argument out of this.You asked a question I answered.I am a little older than you, and have been shooting ,and loading since I was 14 yrs old.Its not like I don't have a clue about these things, but why would I want to post, only to have you tell me how wrong I am.No doubt your Knowledge is a huge asset to this forum, but the overbearing style you are doing it in is not.Once again we are so far off topic from the original op but you asked Elk.I an not intending to offend you Elk, and do not wish to argue about this.So take it for what it is.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Oh yah, I forgot there for a minute what the thread was about
Actually I think the .300 will suit my needs for now, unless I stumble upon a good deal on a wsm. The reason is that I dont reload at this point in time and I will be using the rifle mainly for blind hunting and shootin paper.
I have already rifles for hiking/walking that are light weight, so having a little heavier unit dedicated for longer range is not issue for me.
Thanks again guys for all your input on the subject and the entertainment!

Happy new year!
Old 01-02-2011, 09:59 AM

Well said!
Old 01-02-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
AAAAND, we're BACK!!
If you hand load, WSM, if you don't 300 Win mag. - just because!
I still contend it's more about the rifle you want to put together/ buy , than the cartridge.
Cat
Old 01-02-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbigbuck View Post
Oh yah, I forgot there for a minute what the thread was about
Actually I think the .300 will suit my needs for now, unless I stumble upon a good deal on a wsm. The reason is that I dont reload at this point in time and I will be using the rifle mainly for blind hunting and shootin paper.
I have already rifles for hiking/walking that are light weight, so having a little heavier unit dedicated for longer range is not issue for me.
Thanks again guys for all your input on the subject and the entertainment!

Happy new year!
i believe the .300 win mag is the best choice. If you don't reload, its a no brainer, .300wsm is pretty pricey compared to .300 win mag. My hunting partner has a .300wsm and bitches all the time about ammo. I purchased a set of dies for him for christmas, now i can reload some hot rounds for him.

Any one know the best powder to use for .300wsm?
Old 01-02-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurly View Post
there is a reason i and a lot of other people have not contributed to the topic elk.you seem to want to control any thread related to shooting or loading.no matter what anybody says you have to break it sentence by sentence. Cut and paste it to death, to prove them wrong.you are completly ruining some threads, by taking them so far off topic, its not even funny.there is no dout you are extremely knowledgable, about hunting, shooting, and loading, but to me you cutting and pasting, and scrutenizing, word for word , is very rude, and is stopping a lot of other people from contributing,this is the best forum anywhere that i have found, but it takes participation by all to make it that way.i by no means want an argument out of this.you asked a question i answered.i am a little older than you, and have been shooting ,and loading since i was 14 yrs old.its not like i don't have a clue about these things, but why would i want to post, only to have you tell me how wrong i am.no doubt your knowledge is a huge asset to this forum, but the overbearing style you are doing it in is not.once again we are so far off topic from the original op but you asked elk.i an not intending to offend you elk, and do not wish to argue about this.so take it for what it is.
bingo!
Old 01-02-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
There is a reason I and a lot of other people have not contributed to the topic Elk.
Yet you and 209x50 found it necessary to post on this thread,for the sole purpose of making an insult.

As for the topic,find the rifle you like,at the best deal,and go with it.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:13 AM

Default 300

Elk, if I insulted you then I apologise, that was not my intent.

My vote 300WSM
Old 01-02-2011, 10:14 AM
sheephunter

I'll be different...go for the WSM for the cool factor....
Old 01-02-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
AAAAND, we're BACK!!
If you hand load, WSM, if you don't 300 Win mag. - just because!
I still contend it's more about the rifle you want to put together/ buy , than the cartridge.
Cat
I know for me it came down to length of throw. I love short action. It may not account to much for lots of guys, but to be it was significant.
Canbigbuck, you made up your mind which is cool, and maybe it's because of cost and availability of ammo, which is fine too ( but that wouldn't cut it for myself)
Just a question to you?
Have you held 1 of each and tried running the bolt thru a cycle?
If not, if I may, go try it and see what you think.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:24 AM

Default 300

Federal Blue box ammo for 300WSM is only $27 a box at UFA in Pincher Creek
not that much more than 300Win.Once you get into the Premium stuff, then they get a little pricey.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I know for me it came down to length of throw. I love short action. It may not account to much for lots of guys, but to be it was significant.
Canbigbuck, you made up your mind which is cool, and maybe it's because of cost and availability of ammo, which is fine too ( but that wouldn't cut it for myself)
Just a question to you?
Have you held 1 of each and tried running the bolt thru a cycle?
If not, if I may, go try it and see what you think.
No I haven't yet, but I plan to. I agree, the wsm is different and I'm a sucker for something a little different than the rest, but thinking practical the .300 winny would be my first choice now. Although if I happen to stumble across a wsm at a good price.........well maybe that will go into the arsenal.