Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-28-2023, 01:45 PM

Default Is A Sako 85 worth.....

Hey guys i kind of got the itch for a new rifle again. Is a Sako 85 Hunter in 30-06 worth $2500+gst ?or would a Tikka T3x hunter with wood be as good for 1/2 the price. I like a heavy rifle to help with recoil.
I have been thinking of this for a long time. I want a quality left hand rifle to retire with. The other option is a Christiensen Arms messa in LH.
Thanks

Last edited by Sitting Bull; 07-28-2023 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-28-2023, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
Hey guys i kind of got the itch for a new rifle again. Is a Sako 85 Hunter in 30-06 worth $2500+gst ?or would a Tikka T3x hunter with wood be as good for 1/2 the price. I like a heavy rifle to help with recoil.
I have been thinking of this for a long time. I want a quality left hand rifle to retire with. The other option is a Christiensen Arms messa in LH.
Thanks
Having had at least two of each rifle you name, I would suggest the Sako would be the best retirement gift to yourself. None of the guns are worth the price, but it is what it is. My recommendation is based on knowing that if you haven’t yet had a sako, you will always wonder.
Old 07-28-2023, 02:24 PM

Pm sent
Old 07-28-2023, 02:38 PM

Default Sako

I have a Sako 85 Greywolf stainless going on now for 10+ years. I love it and have no regrets. It's a tack driver, action is smooth and trigger is excellent. My only minor complaint is that it's a bit on the heavy side with the laminate stock (heavier than advertised). But it's a pleasure to shoot.
Old 07-28-2023, 02:44 PM

I'd definitely go with the Sako if you don't mind the extra weight
Old 07-28-2023, 02:46 PM

My sako 85 greywold in 30-06 was probably the biggest waste of money I ever spent. It took me 3 yrs to get rid of it. It wouldn't load half the time, making it absolutely unreliable. I missed 2 animal before I realized what was happening and stop using it in fear that one day a bear would charge the chamber would be empty. I contacted Stoeger canada and they said too bad, not our problem.
Old 07-28-2023, 03:03 PM

Personally, the Sako would be my last choice, mostly because of the mounting system. The Tikka has the same trigger, and the Christensen a better trigger, and better stock.
Old 07-28-2023, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Personally, the Sako would be my last choice, mostly because of the mounting system. The Tikka has the same trigger, and the Christensen a better trigger, and better stock.
I think he wants a wood stock.
Old 07-28-2023, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Yes , I would like a wood stock.
Old 07-28-2023, 03:37 PM

I find it a shame that very few manufactures offer LH rifles. I wish the higher end companies would offer quality wood, accuracy and build quality at a reasonable price.
Old 07-28-2023, 04:00 PM

Quote:
He said that, but then he mentioned the Christensen. If it has to be wood, I would go Tikka, and a set of Talley rings.

Quote:
I find it a shame that very few manufactures offer LH rifles. I wish the higher end companies would offer quality wood, accuracy and build quality at a reasonable price.
Quality wood seldom goes with reasonable price these days. Cooper used to be an option, but the owner almost bankrupted the company, then it changed hands, and prices have really gone up.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 07-28-2023 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-28-2023, 04:43 PM

I love the 75 and 85 rifles. I have five 85 models in my locker, had several others that I traded away or sold, and every one of them has a silky smooth action and is amazingly accurate. I have assembled several other 85s for buddies and again, all amazing rifles.

I bought most of mine when they were in the $1400 to $1800 range, only one was $2000 and another $2800, and I feel they were all worth the money. That said, once the main models like the Finnlight, Stainless/Synthetic, GreyWolf, and Hunter went beyond $2000, the price was too high. Beautiful rifles but with $2400 a guy can build one hell of a nice rifle on a beater Win70 or Rem700 action.

Watch for a used 75 or 85 in the $1400-1600 range and buy it, otherwise find a beat-up 700, order a McMillan, a good trigger, and spin a custom barrel with your choice of length and taper.
Old 07-28-2023, 06:25 PM

If you like the beefier rifles you might be able to find a LH Sako Finnbear in wood for roughly half the price of a new 85. My opinion only but they were built better too. Really hard to find a Sako 75 with wood stock but that would be another great option at a price point between the Finnbear and 85.

Not a darn thing wrong with the Christensen at $700 less than the 85. Accurate rifles that suck up recoil really well and come with a brake if you really want to cut it back. As elk mentioned, fantastic triggers and comparable with Rem scope mounts. The 85's Optilocks are miserable but drilled & tapped solves that issue nicely.
Old 07-28-2023, 07:00 PM

Op, has to define what he really wants. If he's never had an 85 Hunter with nice wood, he should get it and be damned the price. A guy really has no idea how many years they have left. No offense against Tikka. I love them, but they are not a Sako.

If money is an issue, go Tikka. It will be just as accurate, but it won't scratch an itch if he's never had an 85.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 07-28-2023, 08:01 PM

Quote:
op, has to define what he really wants. If he's never had an 85 hunter with nice wood, he should get it and be damned the price. A guy really has no idea how many years they have left. No offense against tikka. I love them, but they are not a sako.

If money is an issue, go tikka. It will be just as accurate, but it won't scratch an itch if he's never had an 85.

Sent from my pixel 6 using tapatalk
100%!
Old 07-28-2023, 08:06 PM

I have a sako 85 with a laminate stock. I love this rifle, and would likely never purchase anything other. Like someone else mentioned, the tikka will be just as accurate, but won’t feel near as well in your hands.
Old 07-28-2023, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakogreywolf View Post
I have a sako 85 with a laminate stock. I love this rifle, and would likely never purchase anything other. Like someone else mentioned, the tikka will be just as accurate, but won’t feel near as well in your hands.
I have the 85 and the Tikka t3 both rifles are awesome. The real test is how they feel in your hand. I will admit the Tikka does fit me minuscule better but if I were getting a harder recoiling rifle or doing spot and stock where I may be out of breath, I would stick with the Sako. The extra pound or two will be a benefit vs a hinderance to me anyhow. Resale would also be higher. I am running after market Leupold?? tapered Sako rings on the 85 they work just fine. I am not a big fan of the Opti locks.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 07-28-2023, 09:35 PM

I own a Sako 75 Finnlight as well as a T3. I love the T3’s but the Sako has a much better stock and zero plastic. I would buy another of either any day. Last season when my wife was done with the Sako I picked it up for the rest of the season.
Old 07-29-2023, 09:20 AM

Not to dissuade the OP on his choices, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with a Remington 700 or Winchester model 70 left hand wood stock. I’d buy 2 of those before spending $2500+ on any Sako. The Sako is a well made rifle, but pricing themselves into the realm of a custom. I’ve owned several Sako rifles. I’ll take a Remington any day of the week, and with minor tweaking, will shoot every bit as well as a Sako and leave you enough money to buy good optics and mounts. As a point of reference, my 2 primary hunting rifles are Remington 700 KS Mountain Rifles. They will shoot as well as any of the 10 or more Sako rifles I’ve owned and since sold.
Old 07-29-2023, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
Not to dissuade the OP on his choices, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with a Remington 700 or Winchester model 70 left hand wood stock. I’d buy 2 of those before spending $2500+ on any Sako. The Sako is a well made rifle, but pricing themselves into the realm of a custom. I’ve owned several Sako rifles. I’ll take a Remington any day of the week, and with minor tweaking, will shoot every bit as well as a Sako and leave you enough money to buy good optics and mounts. As a point of reference, my 2 primary hunting rifles are Remington 700 KS Mountain Rifles. They will shoot as well as any of the 10 or more Sako rifles I’ve owned and since sold.
I thought about writing something like you have written, but didn’t know if OP was stuck on those three choices.

I remember when I first ventured into what I considered a higher quality rifle. For me, it had to be a Sako. Bavarian in 7 Rem. Than a Cooper in 280. Then a Sako Hunter in 30-06. And I just kept on going. But before I had a Sako, there was gonna be noting stopping me from getting a nice wood-stocked Sako. Like you, I‘ve had about a dozen over the years. All very nice rifles. They come and go because if you buy right, you get your money back when you sell.

But to your point, I have read a number of people saying that the new manufactured Remingtons are very good. And, we both know that a Model 70 is a solid rifle too, and nice wood seems easy to find on the Winchesters.

If indeed the op wants a wood stocked lefty, and is willing to consider other models, your choices make good sense.

As does a used Cooper
Old 07-29-2023, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post
I love the 75 and 85 rifles. I have five 85 models in my locker, had several others that I traded away or sold, and every one of them has a silky smooth action and is amazingly accurate. I have assembled several other 85s for buddies and again, all amazing rifles.

I bought most of mine when they were in the $1400 to $1800 range, only one was $2000 and another $2800, and I feel they were all worth the money. That said, once the main models like the Finnlight, Stainless/Synthetic, GreyWolf, and Hunter went beyond $2000, the price was too high. Beautiful rifles but with $2400 a guy can build one hell of a nice rifle on a beater Win70 or Rem700 action.

Watch for a used 75 or 85 in the $1400-1600 range and buy it, otherwise find a beat-up 700, order a McMillan, a good trigger, and spin a custom barrel with your choice of length and taper.
This. Old 700 action, barrel from IBI, Boyd's Custom stocks has some Claro Walnut options, a Trigger Teck trigger on sale on Black Friday and a custom rifle. Or keep a look out for an old Rem. 700 in left 30 06. Even buy a left with a different chambering and get an IBI barrel put on.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-29-2023, 12:51 PM

If it doesn't shoot put a new barrel on it.

https://www.gunpost.ca/firearms/rifl...h-700-bdl-3006

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-29-2023, 05:18 PM

Thanks for all the info. I am not stuck on just the ones I mentioned, they were just the ones I noticed were available in LH as new options. As a one gun kind of guy, I was wanting to go into my retirement years coming up soon with a real nice rifle in 30-06 as I have all the reloading components to last me forever. I currently have a Ruger M77 mk11 that has been great. I just want to step it up a notch or two. I love nice wood especially now since everything is composite etc...
on a side note I had a look today at a Savage impulse that allows you to change the bolt from RH to LH.It is a straight pull action.
Keep the suggestion comming, I have no objections with used except not knowing if it is a good shooter.
Thanks again
Old 07-31-2023, 02:05 PM

There's a lefty Sako 85 listed on Gunnutz in the last couple days.
Old 07-31-2023, 02:18 PM

There’s a hell of a good price on a Remington 700 30-06 Lefty on CGN. $850
Old 07-31-2023, 06:47 PM

There is a700 in town in 30-06. I'm not sure I want to spend $975. for a 50 year old rifle with a vintage micro trac scope thats on consignment. For a bit more I can get a Tikka or XBolt new.
Would you buy it?
Old 07-31-2023, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post
There's a lefty Sako 85 listed on Gunnutz in the last couple days.
I can't seem to find this one. Any idea what page it is on?
Old 07-31-2023, 10:17 PM

Quote:
There is a700 in town in 30-06. I'm not sure I want to spend $975. for a 50 year old rifle with a vintage micro trac scope thats on consignment. For a bit more I can get a Tikka or XBolt new.
Would you buy it?

You only live once! Buy what you want, scratch the itch.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 08-01-2023, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Would you buy it?
If the rifle is in decent shape, Remington rifles are easy to accurize. Free float it, bed it, set the trigger to 2.5-3lbs. It’ll shoot. If you want nice, go Sako
Old 08-01-2023, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Would you buy it?
You could do a helluva lot worse than buying a 50 yr old Rem 700 . Ditch the scope and enjoy a great rifle for the rest of your life.