Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-24-2009, 06:50 PM

Default I love having a big yard.

This one is for russ but everyone can see for themselves, if you have a big yard, you can stretch the distance! These shots show a picture from where I shot at the back of the yard to the target. It then shows the 3 shot group I shot. The total distance is 98 yards. This was my first attempt bast 80yds with this bow, and I have to say.....this bow shoots freakin' sweet.

The setup is a Mamba MX1 at 30" and 75#. The arrows are 30.5" X-weave 400 STL hunters, with custom wraps and Blazer 2" fletching. The field points are 125grs. The sight is a Spott-Hogg SDP with wrap and a QAD Ultra-pro HD rest. It's packing a Doinker A-Bomb Plus. Very fast and very clean.
I love my big yard!
Old 05-24-2009, 07:08 PM
Hoochie Papa

Awesome shooting.
I miss the days on the farm when I could shoot that far. Now I would have to ricochet 12 times off my fence to get an 80 yard shot.

And remember......it's not the bow shooting like that.........it's the archer.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:24 PM

Then apparently anyone can be an archer! I had a custom rifle from Corlanes that never shot that well at that range. I sure love archery though. So many little things to tinker with. And when you get an X you've earned it. I have one one little thing left to tune (knocking point) and try and then I think I am going to try shooting more 3D.
That setup, with the arrows weighing exactly 440grs, produces a ridiculous amount of KE.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:12 AM

Great shooting,wow that is incredible...

Everytime i see stuff like this I am blown away.lol If you can shoot that good a 100 yrds it will make 60 yrds feel like top pin...

Thanks for sharing...
Old 05-25-2009, 08:18 AM

Nice group. I routinely practice out to 100 yds but limit shots on animals much less than that. Are you just gonna do 3-D or do you plan on flinging broadheads as well. Any tuning issues will be greatly magnified with BH's. Send some down the line at that yardage and see what groups you get.

Aim Small Miss Small
Old 05-25-2009, 11:43 AM

I have very little trouble tuning the Slick Trick Magnums in the past. The groups grow by a little with the Slicks, but are still quite amazing. To be honest, this was the first time I have used the walk-back tuning method, and it was quick and easy. I have a tiny little bit of tail low issues that I think the nocking point adjustment will fix. but after the walk back tuning the paper tuning was tight.
As I stated in a post a while back, I did shoot two 5" groups at 90yds with my old setup and 100gr Slick Magnums.
This setup is about 20fps faster so I am expecting more issues with the fixed blade heads. I am still impressed with how accurate the new bows and accessories are.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:14 PM

glad you like your yard. I have to drive 2 miles to get 90m. Minor inconvenience really.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
glad you like your yard. I have to drive 2 miles to get 90m. Minor inconvenience really.
I could handle two miles. I used to drive a 1/2 hour through Calgary to get 40yds! It's a heck of a lot easier to do it when you can grab the bow out of the garage and shoot off the deck though.

Here's the best group at 90 from today. The biggest was about an 8" group, I pulled one, and there is a bit of bit of a side to side wind today. I lost the arrow that's a little crooked in that group. I smacked the nock and it cracked the back of the carbon
Old 05-26-2009, 09:01 AM

Thats some fine shootin' Rem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem338win View Post
I could handle two miles. I used to drive a 1/2 hour through Calgary to get 40yds! It's a heck of a lot easier to do it when you can grab the bow out of the garage and shoot off the deck though.

Here's the best group at 90 from today. The biggest was about an 8" group, I pulled one, and there is a bit of bit of a side to side wind today. I lost the arrow that's a little crooked in that group. I smacked the nock and it cracked the back of the carbon
Old 05-26-2009, 01:23 PM

Nice shooting!

Man, I gotta get outta the city.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:16 PM

I appreciate all of the positive comments. I feel blessed being where I am at right now, as it the kids love it (and the big kid too).
I also appreciate that no one has really assumed that I am unethical or such for shooting that far. My on game limitation is much closer, but this is a great confidence builder.
I am hoping to get a BLOB broadhead target for long range practice before July, but we will see what happens.
Lets see some pics of other peoples "home" ranges and shots!
Old 06-02-2009, 12:05 AM

[QUOTE=rem338win;326143]
I also appreciate that no one has really assumed that I am unethical or such for shooting that far. My on game limitation is much closer, but this is a great confidence builder.
QUOTE]

Anybody that would say "unethical" to shooting at longer distances has a problem. If you have the ability and the confidence to shoot out that far accurately(and you obviously do) and your bow still has enough energy to make an ethical kill, I dont see a problem with it, there is obviously less room for error, but thats how everything is. No difference than shooting a gun at 500 yards. Just my opinion though.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:52 AM

The problem with long range isn't accuracy for some, it's the time of flight that makes things go astray. Depending on the bow, arrow flight will be around 0.4 - 0.5 seconds for 50 yds. In some ways the bow is a weapon of 10th's. The average bow will shoot an arrow about 1/10th as fast as the average rifle. So if you consider 500 yd shots unethical with a gun because the deer my move, what on earth makes a person think that a 50 yd shot with a bow is ethical? Especially when we take into consideration that the deer can possibly hear the bow and possibly the arrow coming!
Old 06-03-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
The problem with long range isn't accuracy for some, it's the time of flight that makes things go astray. Depending on the bow, arrow flight will be around 0.4 - 0.5 seconds for 50 yds. In some ways the bow is a weapon of 10th's. The average bow will shoot an arrow about 1/10th as fast as the average rifle. So if you consider 500 yd shots unethical with a gun because the deer my move, what on earth makes a person think that a 50 yd shot with a bow is ethical? Especially when we take into consideration that the deer can possibly hear the bow and possibly the arrow coming!

I agree with this. But I do believe that 500yd rifle and 50yd bow shots can be ethical.
Now to point out, I have shot deer past 400yds and I have shot a deer with a bow at 74yds. I learned the most with the bow. The deer I shot at with the bow knew I was there, but put his head down to feed broadside. I was standing in plain view and felt that moving forward (no cover, on the prairies) would cause the buck to become cautious if not spooked, and at this point he was feeding. The deer met all the criteria I felt was responsible. He was calm, head down feeding, he was within my comfort range, fully broadside, and I had no outside stimulus to bother the shot (no wind, sun, etc.) I had the 70yd pin tight behind the shoulder (it was about 15degrees down) when the release surprised me. I actually watched the arrow in flight as the deer took one step and caused a perfect hear and double lung, into a rear double lung. The difference in impact was about 8".
This I learned:
If the deer had been on alert, the result at best would have been a miss. They can move a ton in the time it takes for an arrow to get there (this arrow left the bow at 290fps). You need to be 100% sure of your outlimits (ie. at what range can I NEVER miss). And you need to use a good broadhead that opens wicked holes to leave great bloodtrails (ie Slicktricks, Muzzy MX4, G5 Montecs/Strikers, Rage 2 blades, Grimreaper Razorhead, Magnus Snuffer/Buzzcuts, Etc).
Will I shoot that far again? It will have to be even better criteria next time I think. Will I keep practicing out to 90yds? Of course. I really have to focus on my form and release at that range, and the more I do it, the more all of the good things become muscle memory. When I shoot at 40 and 50yds now, it feels almost casual.
I do believe that the majority of people are only shooting withing 60% of their equipment and personal ability range buy shooting out to 40yds. But to explore the other 40% you need to have a big yard!