Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-11-2017, 08:29 AM

Default Newell spots

Hey peeps.... not actually looking for hot spots looking for danger spots.... I'll be taking the boat there for the first time tomorrow and just wondering if there are any "dangerous" areas, sunken islands, shoals, that I can at least be on the look-out for ( not that I'll be uncontrollable ripping around the lake ) Now if anyone can also say hint at which area is better e.g. north end vs south end or east vs west fishes better.... I'm not opposed to listening to that either but I'd prefer to not catch anything and not have to repair my boat!!
Only other question is the boat launch .... north end through the campground?? and is it a decent launch....?
Old 06-11-2017, 08:53 AM

If the water is low some of the sunken islands around Kinbrook park could be worrisome. I don't usually get to the south end but have heard there is trouble down there. Good launch in the campground.

http://aep.alberta.ca/forms-maps-ser...ryMap-2004.pdf

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-11-2017, 09:11 AM

There is a rocky outcropping on the south end but if you pay attention to your electronics it won't sneak up on you. The boat launch on the north end is good but there is a fee. The upgraded launch at kinbrook is really nice and big. As far as fishing spots the island outside of redellback bay, north west end out from pump house and over to the spillway, mouth of jackfish bay and hump east of kinbrook beach are all popular spots.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger72 View Post
Hey peeps.... not actually looking for hot spots looking for danger spots.... I'll be taking the boat there for the first time tomorrow and just wondering if there are any "dangerous" areas, sunken islands, shoals, that I can at least be on the look-out for ( not that I'll be uncontrollable ripping around the lake ) Now if anyone can also say hint at which area is better e.g. north end vs south end or east vs west fishes better.... I'm not opposed to listening to that either but I'd prefer to not catch anything and not have to repair my boat!!
Only other question is the boat launch .... north end through the campground?? and is it a decent launch....?
Have a look at depth charts before you head out. I see someone shared the link already.

The launch is the nicest one I have used by far.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:22 PM

The biggest danger on Newell is getting caught in a storm - it is a big lake and has taken lives before. Several years ago a boat capsized on the south end and I believe it was the people rescuing them who drowned when their boat also capsized in some monster waves.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:43 PM

Yes, the wind can come out of nowhere on that lake. Early May this year we were out most of the day in glass water, and in less then 30 minutes we could not get out from the bay we where fishing. Stayed put for about 4 hours until the wind calmed down enough to make a run for the launch. We were in a 16ft deep V lund with 70hp.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:18 PM

I've mapped the whole lake, for the most part you are safe. Below are a few of the prop eating locations:

- The spine that runs NNW off the island NW of the Rolling Hills connection (south end) tapers really gently to deeper water, stay well off the shore if you are going to run past it (See Google Earth);

-Many of the islands on the west shore have shallow connections to the shore, go slow around them (most islands in general be cautious around);

- The big eastern bay has a gravel bars connecting many of the islands at the entrance to the shore or larger islands (look at Google Earth you can see them) and some mid-bay humps, i wouldn't rip around it at full throttle, and

- There is a reef that runs up the lake in front of the cottages about a km from the east shore. One of the humps toward the north end could be shallow enough to remove a lower end if the water level is lowered (fine now about 4 feet deep, but be aware of it, someone typically place buoys on it).

and X3 for the wind and subsequent waves, my GF still talks about the time "she almost died at Newell"