Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-06-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
Read the Regs

A lot of places have them
Maybe. I am just not aware of any lake with bait ban within 200 km from Calgary where you can keep walleye.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:29 PM
Banned

C&R makes no sense to me whatsoever. Catch it. Eat it.

I would never set out to go fishing with the intention of putting anything back.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foshizzle13 View Post
I haven't read too many posts in here but I do have an opinion about this. I have seen so many people practicing catch and release and it seems that many people are not educated. I see so many people just drag fish up on the bank, no net, dry hands, never pinch barbs, throw (literally toss the fish) the fish back in to the water. If I am doing catch and release, the fish barely leaves the water. I try to remove the hook while the fish is in the water with plies, I always pinch barbs. I catch enough fish that I don't worry about the 1 or 2 I might miss because I am fishing barbless.

Banning catch and release would stop me from fishing gorgeous locations in Alberta in the mountains were you can't keep anything most of the time. So now nobody would get a chance to fish these locations? I fly fish, ice fish and kayak fish in open water. I practice catch and release a lot. I honestly don't think there is an issue as long as every precaution can be taken. There will be some issues with killing some fish once in a while but this is better than retaining fish on a regular basis.

Tight lines, set hooks, use the proper hooks, pinch barbs, use a net, don't drag the fish up the bank and let them flop around like mad. If everyone would follow simple steps to help the fish get back to their environment quickly and safely, we wouldn't be having this conversation. So, yet again a few bad apples will ruin it for the rest of us responsible fishermen.

All sensible and well said
Old 06-06-2017, 02:34 PM
Banned

^^^ Wow what a big production for ultimately,

Nothing.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot1 View Post

I would never set out to go fishing with the intention of putting anything back.
It's called recreation
Old 06-06-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:

So you don't fish anywhere with C&R rules, size or slot limits, etc. Everything that takes a lure ends up in your freezer, regardless of size or species. I'll bite my tongue....
Old 06-06-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:

^^^^ Your idea of fun but not for many others. Very old school thinking and pretty much gone the way of the dinosaurs.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
So you don't fish anywhere with C&R rules, size or slot limits, etc. Everything that takes a lure ends up in your freezer, regardless of size or species. Sorry, that seems pretty irresponsible to me.
Looks like he prefers trolling ... I imagine,
Old 06-06-2017, 03:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
So you don't fish anywhere with C&R rules, size or slot limits, etc. Everything that takes a lure ends up in your freezer, regardless of size or species. I'll bite my tongue....
I absolutely will not burn one drop of fuel or use up one calorie to go somewhere where I have to C&R.

Let me clarify: If it is legal size/limit/location/healthy and whatever other formality I gotta adhere to,

then yes it will end up in my freezer.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:09 AM

So Ak47, if I can sum up, your idea is to go back to catch and keep but this time introduce bait bans and slot sizes, correct? Anything else?

Well I can't see this has been tried in this way in Alberta, I can't help agreeing and seeing the same as others have posted that a place like Central or Southern Alberta has way to few lakes and large population for this. Thus the more controlled system of tags - that is, controlled harvest of only a certain amount and certain sizes - is better.

PS it is not a cash grab either.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
I absolutely will not burn one drop of fuel or use up one calorie to go somewhere where I have to C&R.

Let me clarify: If it is legal size/limit/location/healthy and whatever other formality I gotta adhere to,

Well, your loss, I think. You are just starting out as a brand new fisherman. I suspect your attitude will change once you've caught the bug. Anyway, as long as you follow the regulations, it's your right and choice. Good luck and have fun!
Old 06-07-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
So Ak47, if I can sum up, your idea is to go back to catch and keep but this time introduce bait bans and slot sizes, correct? Anything else?

Well I can't see this has been tried in this way in Alberta, I can't help agreeing and seeing the same as others have posted that a place like Central or Southern Alberta has way to few lakes and large population for this. Thus the more controlled system of tags - that is, controlled harvest of only a certain amount and certain sizes - is better.

PS it is not a cash grab either.
You summed it pretty well - 1-2 keepers, slot sizes, bait ban is major points, and I would add extra protection during spawn and no commercial fishing for walleye in any of those lakes.
As long as tag money is going to improve the fisheries and people are ok to pay - it may be a good way to regulate walleye population as well. I personally need to see what exactly is being done with that money to believe it is ending in the right place. Is there an official report somewhere to see what was done with that tag money and do we as fishermen have a say is it going to be spent?
Old 06-07-2017, 09:31 AM
Banned

So C&R is killing fish, but you guys don't care, as long as you can keep fishing.

Interesting.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
You summed it pretty well - 1-2 keepers, slot sizes, bait ban is major points, and I would add extra protection during spawn and no commercial fishing for walleye in any of those lakes.
As long as tag money is going to improve the fisheries and people are ok to pay - it may be a good way to regulate walleye population as well. I personally need to see what exactly is being done with that money to believe it is ending in the right place. Is there an official report somewhere to see what was done with that tag money and do we as fishermen have a say is it going to be spent?
I did a past search but was unsuccessful in finding exact wording that money from tags goes to...

I did find this for interest:

http://www.ab-conservation.com/progr...lleye-licence/

http://albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/prov-regs.html
Where does your Sportfishing Licensing dollars go?
Over 300,000 Sportfishing licences were sold in 2016 generating over $8.6M in revenue representing a slight decreae in sales over 2015. For each $1 of revenue collected:

$0.64 is distributed to the Alberta Conservation Association. For more information on how funds are used to support Fisheries programs, please visit www.ab-conservation.com

$0.31 is used for licensing allocation and administration providing compensation to the Service Provider and the network of private Licence Issuers as well as provides funds for programs to monitor fish populations. For more information, visit mywildalberta.com

$0.05 goes to Government of Alberta General Revenue Fund
This speaks to licenses based on the wording. One could only assume the same split for tags but it does not specifically say that either.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargineyesore View Post
So C&R is killing fish, but you guys don't care, as long as you can keep fishing.

Interesting.
Angling mortality is much more humane compared to atv's disturbing redds.
(I see where your going with this)
Old 06-07-2017, 11:34 AM

This thread is STILL going hahaha...

It amazes the spectrum of opinions out there on a topic which I view so black and white. It's a real eye opener.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:47 AM

Bottom line for me is that C&R will have mortalities. I don't believe anyone can quality that in a study. It's impossible. But the fact that once the lakes have been closed from retention and they've made rebounds speaks volumes. It proves that C&R is not affecting the numbers negatively at all. Throw out all the stats you want you cannot deny that closing retention has rescued many lakes. The tag system is working really well as far as I can tell. It's not managed perfectly. There's no money for that- which I strongly detest. But boys she ain't broke. Hence no reason to fix.
I do advocate better fish handling as AK47 and others have pointed out. The awareness of how proper handling can lead to even better fishing is A fantastic talking point that is coming from all this good discussion. Perhaps a new thread with proper fish handling tequniques and educating folks will do a long way.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shortington View Post
It amazes the spectrum of opinions out there on a topic which I view so black and white. It's a real eye opener.
Same here.

This forum never fails to surprise me, which can be kinda scary, but in a lot of ways, it's a good thing.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:25 PM

Default example

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
In some European fisheries,,, Germany comes to mind,,, you are not allowed to catch and release fish that you can keep legally,,, and then you must quit fishing once you have you have retained your limit.
They have this regulation in Ontario when fishing for Aurora Trout. You can only catch 1 trout, and must keep it, then stop fishing until it is consumed. So If I fish for Aurora's and catch 5 trout over 5 days and have consumed them all, I have killed 5 fish.

Yet if I'm able(which is doubtful) to C&R 50 Aurora trout (fly-fishing) , even with a 5% mortality rate, I've killed half as many fish than the previous scenario.

So which is better for the fishery ?

Last edited by Pierre; 06-07-2017 at 01:32 PM.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
They have this regulation in Ontario when fishing for Aurora Trout. You can only catch 1 trout, and must keep it, then stop fishing until it is consumed. So If I fish for Aurora's and catch 5 trout over 5 days and have consumed them all, I have killed 5 fish.

Yet if I'm able(which is doubtful) to C&R 50 Aurora trout (fly-fishing) , even with a 5% mortality rate, I've killed half as many fish than the previous scenario.

So which is better for the fishery ?
This answer may surprise you but scenario one might actually be better. C & R fishing has more effect than just mortalities. In one study on pike they found that C & R fishing stresses the fish and growth is dramatically effected. To the tune of 40% decreased seasonal growth. As you know spawning success is also often related to growth rates so I could see scenario one possibly being the better of the two.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:48 PM

Default The Regulations come from real research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
Tons of good info out there on Pigeon.

Google - Pigeon Lake Fisheries Management Plan
He doesn't fish lakes that he can't keep fish so he wouldn't know or see the bennefits of catch and release on lakes.
He would rather sit in his arm chair and read stats than go fishing and do his own research.
I've fished central Alberta lakes all my life and I've first hand seen the changes in these lakes over the years.
Open catch and keep = more pressure = more mortality = less opertunity.
Why do you think these lakes were closed to keeping walleye in the first place?
It was over fishing.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
He doesn't fish lakes that he can't keep fish so he wouldn't know or see the bennefits of catch and release on lakes.
He would rather sit in his arm chair and read stats than go fishing and do his own research.
I've fished central Alberta lakes all my life and I've first hand seen the changes in these lakes over the years.
Open catch and keep = more pressure = more mortality = less opertunity.
Why do you think these lakes were closed to keeping walleye in the first place?
It was over fishing.
exactly my paradigm^^^^ couldn't have said it better
Old 06-07-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:

Hahahahaha you must be quite old then.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:20 PM

Being a poorly skilled fisherman, I usually only catch pike.
Lol. All other species will snob me lol.

Those pikes are like tanks. I know in the North I was catching fish that were showing signs of fights with other pikes and or C&R.

When the pike swallows the hook deep it causes damage.....

I know pike and suckers don't seem to get much love and C&R is not too bad for those species? I would not eat a wormy summer pike or a bottom feeding sucka...
Old 06-07-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:

Once you check the regulations, I think your fishing career is going to be pretty disappointing.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-07-2017, 07:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well, your loss, I think. You are just starting out as a brand new fisherman. I suspect your attitude will change once you've caught the bug. Anyway, as long as you follow the regulations, it's your right and choice. Good luck and have fun!
Ok... I'm going to try and process that, how NOT keeping a fish is a loss, that is certainly an interesting "angle" lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
Hahahahaha you must be quite old then.
Yeah, 41 and in better shape than most half my age.

Either way I got bigger problems...

MUCH bigger problems....

Even watching several youtube videos I cannot for the life of me get my reel working, just spins and spins (like my brain)

I think I'm gonna get a canoe, a big ole net and some dynamite instead. That's if I can figure out how to use a paddle and matches first.

I'm such a failure lol
Old 06-08-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Ok... I'm going to try and process that, how NOT keeping a fish is a loss, that is certainly an interesting "angle" lol

MUCH bigger problems....

Even watching several youtube videos I cannot for the life of me get my reel working, just spins and spins (like my brain)

I think I'm gonna get a canoe, a big ole net and some dynamite instead. That's if I can figure out how to use a paddle and matches first.

I'm such a failure lol

Don't be so hard on yourself sunshine, gets better haha
Old 06-08-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:

MUCH bigger problems....

I'm such a failure lol
Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
You misinterpret what I'm saying. You said you would never fish if you couldn't keep, and that you would never put anything back you weren't legally required to. I'm just saying that you will be missing out on a lot of great fishing places and experiences, and that if you take your limit in twenty minutes, you will be packing up and going home. That's all. Not hard to process at all.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
You misinterpret what I'm saying. You said you would never fish if you couldn't keep, and that you would never put anything back you weren't legally required to. I'm just saying that you will be missing out on a lot of great fishing places and experiences, and that if you take your limit in twenty minutes, you will be packing up and going home. That's all. Not hard to process at all.
That's what I want! Geez you think I wanna be out there 8-10-12 hrs at a time for a Justin Trudeau selfie with a Pike and then hit Mcdonald's on the way home?? To me that just sounds ridiculous.

What's next? Rubber projectiles to knock out deer for pics? C'mon.

But I can't figure out my reel so it's not even an issue anyways lol