Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-06-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
But how a well structured age class will happen if there is no harvest ( except hooking mortality)? They eventually will get stunted. Plus now we have 0 limit for Pike in CW, Travers and McGregor as well - why? Even more competition for food for all that walleye which nobody can harvest. I just do not understand the reasoning for this or what we are trying to achieve here. Travers was just fine, all you needed to do is to protect spawning grounds and introduce bait ban to deter shore fishing meatheads.
Pigeon lake used to be just skinny small walleye as well, now at least you have tags so people can keep few if they do not mind paying extra. I remember 8-10 years ago people complaining how difficult it is to catch decent size walleye in Pigeon.
How did age classes get structured and normalize before people were fishing in these lakes? I'm pretty sure nature can look after itself on that one...

Stunting is not normal or unavoidable by any stretch. It requires the assumption that food/forage base is a major limiting factor. I would argue that other than a few rare examples (PCR), forage base is not a significant limiting factor to growth. The rebound at Pigeon is a good example of that. Quit taking all the big fish out because that's all you could keep, and "miraculously" there's more big fish to be caught.

I also don't understand your crusade against fishing with bait. I would STRONGLY oppose any such regulation changes. The stats above show that the difference in mortality between bait and baitless is not significant. The whole idea is for the angler to be able to catch fish. It should be up to the individual angler to make that choice, along with their fishing technique, not someone who feels it makes catching fish "too easy" for the "meatheads". That's the kind of elitism we don't need as outdoorsmen.

A few good high catch rate days in the spring, at obvious hot spots, isn't reason for a knee jerk reaction or criticism of the angler. It's normal, it happens every year. Wait until mid summer when the fish are spread out and all will be back to normal.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
What lakes are we talking about? Plus again, why a zero limit for a pike in those lakes if all we care is walleye population? Pike is even more susceptible to hooking mortality than walleye btw.
What gives you the impression that anglers only care about Walleye?

What are you basing that on? Do you have actual studies to back that up?

That definitely is not my experience. From what I've seen, pike, especially the small ones, are pretty much indestrucible lol.

The biggest factor going against pike survival rates is being caught using spoons and crankbaits covered in treble hooks that cause damage. (not live bait)
Old 06-06-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I would hazard to guess that any jurisdiction that has such a rule also has relatively few fisherman.
Swiss has 275.000 registered anglers.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post

What are you basing that on? Do you have actual studies to back that up?
http://www.westernsportsman.com/2014...h-and-release/
Old 06-06-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:

The biggest factor going against pike survival rates is being caught using spoons and crankbaits covered in treble hooks that cause damage. (not live bait)
Fishing with bait will result in almost every pike getting hooked deep in the throat or gill area. Especially in winter when people take time to get to their tip ups.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:

I also don't understand your crusade against fishing with bait. I would STRONGLY oppose any such regulation changes. The stats above show that the difference in mortality between bait and baitless is not significant. .
It is actually quite significant. Read link I posted please.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
How about bait ban? Nobody seems to like talking about it. I think using artificial bait is way more sporty way of fishing and helps with reducing fishing mortality a lot. You may catch less, but will have way more fun. Again, back to European fishing derby examples, nobody would let you use bait in any spinning fishing derbies. It is all about lures, lines, rods and different techniques.
Have you never read The fishing regulations?

Plenty of places with bait bans.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
The rebound at Pigeon is a good example of that. Quit taking all the big fish out because that's all you could keep, and "miraculously" there's more big fish to be caught.
May I ask when Pigeon lake had a catch and keep rule for walleye? As far as I remember it was always 0 limit for last 15 years.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
Have you never read The fishing regulations?

Plenty of places with bait bans.
Can you point to one where you can keep walleye?
Old 06-06-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
How did age classes get structured and normalize before people were fishing in these lakes? I'm pretty sure nature can look after itself on that one...

Stunting is not normal or unavoidable by any stretch. It requires the assumption that food/forage base is a major limiting factor. I would argue that other than a few rare examples (PCR), forage base is not a significant limiting factor to growth. The rebound at Pigeon is a good example of that. Quit taking all the big fish out because that's all you could keep, and "miraculously" there's more big fish to be caught.

I also don't understand your crusade against fishing with bait. I would STRONGLY oppose any such regulation changes. The stats above show that the difference in mortality between bait and baitless is not significant. The whole idea is for the angler to be able to catch fish. It should be up to the individual angler to make that choice, along with their fishing technique, not someone who feels it makes catching fish "too easy" for the "meatheads". That's the kind of elitism we don't need as outdoorsmen.

A few good high catch rate days in the spring, at obvious hot spots, isn't reason for a knee jerk reaction or criticism of the angler. It's normal, it happens every year. Wait until mid summer when the fish are spread out and all will be back to normal.
Agree, well said

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
I wouldn't know,

I only catch and release.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
But I took the time to look.

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/nb4.html

Even some examples of bait bans
Old 06-06-2017, 12:24 PM

Read the article. Nothing there that I can find of any significance to support your claim. Mortality rates were the same as walleye when using single hooks, and well within the data range posted in studies above.

Mortality rates went up due to use of treble hooks, exactly as I would expect.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Fishing with bait will result in almost every pike getting hooked deep in the throat or gill area. Especially in winter when people take time to get to their tip ups.

I don't agree with this at all, just this weekend we were walleye fishing, no leaders with JIgs and minnows or leeches. Caught at least 50 pike in the mix in the 4 days, NOT 1 wasn't caught on the lip using bait... I see your point on tip ups but you make too broad of a comment and easily disputable.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
How about bait ban? Nobody seems to like talking about it. I think using artificial bait is way more sporty way of fishing and helps with reducing fishing mortality a lot. You may catch less, but will have way more fun. Again, back to European fishing derby examples, nobody would let you use bait in any spinning fishing derbies. It is all about lures, lines, rods and different techniques.
Personally I don't have a problem with a bait ban. Some others on here may not agree.

For me, I'm mostly fly fishing in open water times anyways and more often with my own tied inventions. During ice fishing I do use bait to catch burbot sometimes but that is about it. I like the idea of fooling the fish and the challenge of trying to get it right.

One other good side effect would be a huge reduction in bait bags and containers
Old 06-06-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
It is actually quite significant. Read link I posted please.
Again, not much there to back up your claim.

"Using bait increases the chance of cryptic mortality, but by different degrees depending on species." So, there's some varying degrees of mortality, due in much bigger part to the type of species (trout) and fishing technique than bait vs. no bait.

"although 10 per cent of fish caught using leeches died soon after release because of hooking damage to the throat and gut." That is readily explainable if you've got anglers rigging with leeches that don't know how to properly remove the hooks, the same is true if you're rigging with a worm or even minnows. Jigging with a leech or a minnow, there's ZERO difference.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Read the article. Nothing there that I can find of any significance to support your claim.
from article:
"Some general patterns emerge from this review. Using bait increases the chance of cryptic mortality, but by different degrees depending on species."
Old 06-06-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Again, not much there to back up your claim.

"Using bait increases the chance of cryptic mortality, but by different degrees depending on species." So, there's some varying degrees of mortality, due in much bigger part to the type of species (trout) and fishing technique than bait vs. no bait.

"although 10 per cent of fish caught using leeches died soon after release because of hooking damage to the throat and gut." That is readily explainable if you've got anglers rigging with leeches that don't know how to properly remove the hooks, the same is true if you're rigging with a worm or even minnows. Jigging with a leech or a minnow, there's ZERO difference.
So you expect everybody who fishes with bait to rig it properly - a bit unrealistic? Just watch people in Glenmore for example catching pike from the shore. Terrible set ups, sitting from the rods by far distance, waiting to set the hook after bite indication and you will see tons of pike being pulled with hook in gills or throat and bleeding profusely. Granted, most of them are keeping them so maybe not a big deal but if we talking catch and release half of them would be dead for sure after release back.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Swiss has 275.000 registered anglers.
So in other words, about half as many per capita as in Alberta. Great. Let's get rid of half our fishermen.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
So in other words, about half as many per capita as in Alberta. Great. Let's get rid of half our fishermen.
It was just an example. I am not supporting it.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
May I ask when Pigeon lake had a catch and keep rule for walleye? As far as I remember it was always 0 limit for last 15 years.
Tons of good info out there on Pigeon.

Google - Pigeon Lake Fisheries Management Plan
Old 06-06-2017, 12:43 PM
Banned

Sometimes when you think you're ahead is when you need to realize you're actually behind.

AK47
Old 06-06-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
But I took the time to look.

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/nb4.html

Even some examples of bait bans
Lol, thanks, I much rather drive to SK.

It would be interesting to see what effect bait ban would have on one of the popular walleye lakes.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
So you expect everybody who fishes with bait to rig it properly - a bit unrealistic? Just watch people in Glenmore for example catching pike from the shore. Terrible set ups, sitting from the rods by far distance, waiting to set the hook after bite indication and you will see tons of pike being pulled with hook in gills or throat and bleeding profusely. Granted, most of them are keeping them so maybe not a big deal but if we talking catch and release half of them would be dead for sure after release back.
Do I expect everyone that drives to never break any rules of the road or have an accident? Of course not. Doesn't mean we should ban driving.

Education on proper techniques goes a long way, so does enforcement of the regs, but we'll never completely solve the problem. That's why there's a mortality rate due to sport fishing built into the calculations that are used to manage our fisheries.

The bottom line is pretty simple to me - fishing is about catching fish for 90+% of anglers. The challenge of catching them is a big part of it, but without the catch, the desire to keep challenging yourself goes away in a hurry. I want people to be successful and enjoy fishing, that's what keeps them coming back and keeps our sport alive. It also means they keep buying licenses and being a group that has to be considered when we're talking about our outdoors and fisheries.

Anything and everything can be abused, but banning things, at least IMHO, is never the answer.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
from article:
"Some general patterns emerge from this review. Using bait increases the chance of cryptic mortality, but by different degrees depending on species."
Actually read what I post.

I directly addressed that.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Tons of good info out there on Pigeon.

Google - Pigeon Lake Fisheries Management Plan
Thanks, I read through it. Again it does not talk much about times before 2000.
And it does estimate about 10% catch and release mortality when accounting for number of tags issued. For example in 2006 they estimated 12.000 walleye killed by C&R.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:57 PM

I haven't read too many posts in here but I do have an opinion about this. I have seen so many people practicing catch and release and it seems that many people are not educated. I see so many people just drag fish up on the bank, no net, dry hands, never pinch barbs, throw (literally toss the fish) the fish back in to the water. If I am doing catch and release, the fish barely leaves the water. I try to remove the hook while the fish is in the water with plies, I always pinch barbs. I catch enough fish that I don't worry about the 1 or 2 I might miss because I am fishing barbless.

Banning catch and release would stop me from fishing gorgeous locations in Alberta in the mountains were you can't keep anything most of the time. So now nobody would get a chance to fish these locations? I fly fish, ice fish and kayak fish in open water. I practice catch and release a lot. I honestly don't think there is an issue as long as every precaution can be taken. There will be some issues with killing some fish once in a while but this is better than retaining fish on a regular basis.

Tight lines, set hooks, use the proper hooks, pinch barbs, use a net, don't drag the fish up the bank and let them flop around like mad. If everyone would follow simple steps to help the fish get back to their environment quickly and safely, we wouldn't be having this conversation. So, yet again a few bad apples will ruin it for the rest of us responsible fishermen.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Lol, thanks, I much rather drive to SK.

It would be interesting to see what effect bait ban would have on one of the popular walleye lakes.
Still answered your question.

Pretty sure they're places near Calgary that you can keep walleye.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Still answered your question.

Pretty sure they're places near Calgary that you can keep walleye.
With bait ban? I am not aware of any.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
With bait ban? I am not aware of any.
Read the Regs

A lot of places have them