Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-17-2017, 10:50 AM

Default Stauffer Creek under threat

Border Paving Ltd. has filed an application under the provisions of the Water Act for construction of an end pit lake and groundwater disturbance located in the NW 18-037-05-W5. This is at the headwaters of the North Raven River (Stauffer Creek) and could easily damage one of the best trout streams in Alberta. Right next to this proposed development are two conservation sites jointly purchased by ACA, Trout Unlimited Canada, and Alberta Fish and Game Association specifically for the purpose of protecting the groundwater feeding this stream. Even a minor change to the groundwater flow volume or velocity could have a major negative impact on overwintering and spawning areas for the brown and brook trout and could affect the number and type of aquatic invertebrates.
If you fish this stream or are a member of TUC or AFGA please consider letting Alberta Environment know your concerns as soon as possible. You can do so by emailing aep.waapplications@gov.ab.ca referencing the application number: 001-00390571. They ask that you: Describe concerns that are relevant to matters regulated by the Water Act. • Explain how the filer of the concern will be directly affected by the activity and/or diversion of water proposed in the application. • Provide the legal land location of the land owned or used by the filer where the concerns described or believed to be applicable (the conservation sites are SW19-37-05-W5(Leavitt site) and NW17-37-05-W5 (Stainbrooke). • State the distance between the land owned or used by the filer and the site in the application (they’re adjacent to the proposed construction area) • Contact information including the full name and mailing address of the filer • The phone number and/or email address for ease of contact.
Even an email as simple as saying please hold off on any approval for this until and unless there’s some study of the possible impact of digging into the groundwater feeding the North Raven might help in protecting this stream.
If you'd like more background on this check out Michael Short's video at https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#in...e8?projector=1
Old 05-17-2017, 11:30 AM

any possibility of looking at the video without having to create a gmail account?
Old 05-17-2017, 12:10 PM

think this link to Michael Short should work better: http://letsgooutdoors.ca/blogs/item/...ment-over-fish
Old 05-17-2017, 12:49 PM

Has the Alberta Water Council been contacted?

They received a bunch of funding to work on just this type of development concern.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 05-18-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Has the Alberta Water Council been contacted?

They received a bunch of funding to work on just this type of development concern.
Thanks. They have now.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:59 PM

This has been an ongoing issue, has it not ? Seems to me they applied for a gravel pit there a couple of years ago.

Grizz
Old 05-19-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
This has been an ongoing issue, has it not ? Seems to me they applied for a gravel pit there a couple of years ago.

Grizz
Yes it has. They applied for a dry pit and said at the time that there was no consideration whatsoever of turning that into a wet pit mine. Their application was approved. Can't let this new application get through without a fight!
Old 05-20-2017, 10:48 PM

This is extremely concirning. I just got in from fishing the north raven. Not happy to hear about this at all.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:23 PM

I was out at the headwater spring last week. A pretty sweet spot. Very cool that the Raven starts out in these crystal clear springs.

It's unbelievable that this wet gravel pit application by Border Paving is even on the table. I've sent my feelings on the matter to the minister but I think a bunch of us need to raise hell if we want this to be stopped.