Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-19-2019, 09:49 PM

Default garage door chain off track

I have a overhead garage door opener, chain gets tightened by a roller near the door, the chain keeps slipping off that roller,any ideas whats up, worked fine till yesterday, roller wheel looks good but the angle to me seems a bit off when the door opens a bit, then chain pops off. I'm out in St. Albert, any service people you know?
Old 02-19-2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerman View Post
I have a overhead garage door opener, chain gets tightened by a roller near the door, the chain keeps slipping off that roller,any ideas whats up, worked fine till yesterday, roller wheel looks good but the angle to me seems a bit off when the door opens a bit, then chain pops off. I'm out in St. Albert, any service people you know?
Happen to have a broken spring?
Old 02-19-2019, 11:09 PM

I would pull the cover off your garage door unit and check to see if the issue is from the gear on top of the unit is broken. Lots of plastic parts in there. With chain loose can easily fall off. Easy fix if that’s the case.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:08 AM

Chain or cable?
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:11 AM

The very cold weather we have been having very hard on garage openers in un heated garages. I need to give my door a helping hand when -30 oC as it just groans. Your door may smarten up when weather smartens up.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
The very cold weather we have been having very hard on garage openers in un heated garages. I need to give my door a helping hand when -30 oC as it just groans. Your door may smarten up when weather smartens up.
Check your springs as they may need to be wound a bit more or heavier ones installed. Door should balance when you pull the lever to disconnect it from the opener.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:10 PM

Did the OP leave the country ?
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:27 AM

Update, the sprockets on the garage motor are good, its an overhead door chain drive, the chain will pop off of the front pulley that is used to tighten up the chain even when the garage door is unhooked and its the motor moving the chain. Chain looks straight going along the track The angle of the pulley is slightly down when the track is sitting with the door open, I compared it to my other garage door and looks similar,I'll try to get pics. thanks for your help all.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:53 PM

Default garage plastic drive gear

more door problems, now on the chain driven overhead model 2026 has the plastic gear on the drive is stripped, any ideas where to get the gear, the company wants to sell me the motor too for 156 plus
Old 08-20-2019, 11:21 AM

Default 10 year warranty update

koodos to the manufacture, 10 year warranty pulled the motor and gears all replaced under warranty
Old 08-20-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Check your springs as they may need to be wound a bit more or heavier ones installed. Door should balance when you pull the lever to disconnect it from the opener.
Springs wear out as well.

Grizz