Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-04-2017, 02:28 PM

Default Fishing abroad, what's your experience!

I'm a avid fly fisherman, and now I'm looking to expand my horizons, what I'm looking for is good experiences, and advice as to were a guy should go, and what time of year he should go fishing abroad. I enjoy all sorts of fishing so, it's not necessary to be strictly fly fishing! Thank you!
Old 06-04-2017, 05:10 PM

Do you mean fishing abroad as in out of this country? Because if so, fishing in Mexico isnt that bad.. I mean.. my friend caught a 3m long sword fish in Mexico so it is worth the trip down there. Then again, going fishing off the coast of Hawaii is always nice.

Northern Pike: 32
Trout: 17
Yellow Perch: 1
Burbot: 0
Whitefish: 2
Sturgeon: Never gonna catch one anyway..

Any questions? Feel free to PM me
Old 06-04-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morinj View Post
I'm a avid fly fisherman, and now I'm looking to expand my horizons, what I'm looking for is good experiences, and advice as to were a guy should go, and what time of year he should go fishing abroad. I enjoy all sorts of fishing so, it's not necessary to be strictly fly fishing! Thank you!
I had a vacation in Cuba, did a ton of snorkeling right off of the resort. Honestly I would not have taken a second off of snorkeling to go fishing, the experiences were that amazing.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-04-2017, 06:14 PM

Have fished many places abroad.

Hawaii: Shore fishing- Big Island, can be hit or miss, best time would be fall for shore. Year round tuna is good, but charters are expensive. I personally would not do a trip for fishing to Hawaii as I just found out. Better places for sure.

Cuba: minimal shore fishing; charters are cheap but they do not work that hard. Most likely going to get mahai mahai. Wouldn't go for fishing.

Jamaica: Expensive but good. They have decent billfish. Again better places to go.

Mexico: Good billfish along the west coast. Large waves prevent much shore fishing. Fly-fishing for bones, permit, and tarpon best place is in the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve. Most lodges there are amazing and the fishing is amazing. My favorite place to fish in Mexico.

Costa Rica: Hands down great for any species you want. Just have to be willing to travel (east coast vs west vs south vs north). Need charters, but you can do pricey or cheap. Shore fishing is OK but you can get a boat for 150-200 Canadian a day, so use the boat.

Panama: little more expensive than Costa Rica, but better chance at large billfish.

Europe: Need to know people or spend a lot for trout fishing. Fishing Germany for pike and trout, here is better.

Australia: Hands down great fishing for anything. Loved it and will be back. Only thing is its damn far.

Florida: Never look over the sunshine state. I would say best shore and boat fishing opportunity. When I lived in Ontario I would drive 22hrs on a long weekend one way just to fish. Florida I would rank only second to Australia, but its my number one since Auzzy is just so far.

What species are you looking for? What type of fishing?
Old 06-04-2017, 09:06 PM

Never got the chance to go fishing in Mexico when I was there this past winter. Wish I did! In this country if you haven't do a sturgeon trip! Worth every penny and pretty cheap to!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2017, 09:52 PM

In the salt Florida is the best fishing I have ever seen. . 80lb drum in a kayak on 20lb mono, Cedar Key Florida. Its 25 years ago there. Affordable, low population density, tons of available fishing and super friendly people. (I Usually hate the states but love all of rural Florida) Rented a water front house for $800 a week, private dock. Tortoise, dolphin, osprey, blue crab, drum, I would live there if I could.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:25 PM

I fish for anything from 1" Brook Stickleback to 6' Lemon Shark. And you can say I've traveled "a bit"...

New species from Canadian provinces - BC (16), NB (3), NL (2), NS (1), ON (73), PE (3), QC (1) - hoping to finally add a Flathead Chub from AB on June 20 (in 15 days!!!). Along hoping to get a few more species both fresh and salt from BC. But family trip and fishing is limited. If possible, there is a trip framework to visit a friend in NWT for Inconnu and a acquaintance in NU for Arctic Char in August.

New species from US states - CA (59), Florida (121), GA (8), HI (96), IL (18), IN (2), MA (8), MD (7), MO (24), NH (2), NJ (14), NY (3), PA (3), TX (4), VA (13) - will road trip through TN, KY, VA, NC and DE in this July for some 50 species potential.

New species from other countries - Belize (24), Mexico (33), St. Kitts and Nevis (6), Peru (43), Cambodia (10), China (7), Indonesia (42), Malaysia (8), Thailand (13), Australia (4), France (4), Greece (12) - hoping to visit Zambia in summer 2018...and then start seriously considering Antarctica!

After 725+ species and these many places...

Florida is still my top fishing destination. You can DIY everything there and do well without a guide...as long as you have some fishing sense. On the last trip, we DIY some sharks from shore including 6' Lemon Shark, 5' Bull Shark and lost a few nice Blacktips up to 5-6' long and a big Bull that we simply could not stop. I've jumped a couple of Tarpons from the bridges in the Keys, and landed keeper size Red Grouper on rental boats. Anything and everything is possible in the Florida...and the Keys is ridiculous any time of the year. There's always something to catch.

The seconds destination that is close to my heart is Hawaii. Not only that my grandma lives there and I have some local friends, but everything about Hawaii is magical. Shots at bluewater pelagics just 5min from launch (Big Island), 100lb Giant Trevally from cliff side spots from local friends' stories, tones of smaller GTs, Bluefin Trevally, Barracuda and other predators on lures. You can wade coral flats for 4-8lb Bonefish, with real shots at double digit specimens. If you want to partake, try to land a big Surgeonfish, Unicornfish or Sea Chub on ultralight and 4lb fluoro...and hope you don't get cut by the sharp volcanic rock or coral. There is NO bad time to visit Hawaii.

The third destination is Belize. DIY tarpon and bonefish. I mean...school of 50 bonefish by the dock in town. Tarpon cruising in the light just a rod tip away from shore. And real shots at them. First day I tried for these tarpon and landed on. Got tired of feeding shrimp tails to bonefish after bonefish. And then there's the variety of other species. Again, NO bad time to visit Belize. On windy days, just bring a spinning rod and you can continue to fish for bones and poons.

Lastly, a recent trip to Komodo Island was unreal. $500pp for 4 days on a private wooden boat charter with my sister to visit the land of the Komodo Dragon situated in the world's most biodiverse marine environment. Fishing was limited to a couple of hours here and there between hikes and snorkeling, and 1-2hr of trolling when moving between locations. Yet, it was DIY Wahoo on my own gear with a bonus Twospot Snapper (Red Bass), Goldspotted Trevally and Coral Trout...among 38 other species. Saw some GTs around but I could care less about them now.

If you don't care what you catch, then these are my recommendations. Peru was unreal too...it was an awesome time...but not nearly as great. Maybe I just love the salt more.

If you have time to see some pics and read some stories, many of these adventures are detailed on my blog. My life list (similar to a birding list) is the link below. However, work has been busy and about 200 species have not been updated yet. When I'm not teaching this summer, there will finally be time to update this list...

http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot...cies-list.html

* Not my intention to promote my blog. Just sharing in case like-minded people would like to have a look.

Last edited by MuskieBait; 06-04-2017 at 10:40 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuskieBait View Post
I fish for anything from 1" Brook Stickleback to 6' Lemon Shark. And you can say I've traveled "a bit"...

New species from Canadian provinces - BC (16), NB (3), NL (2), NS (1), ON (73), PE (3), QC (1) - hoping to finally add a Flathead Chub from AB on June 20 (in 15 days!!!). Along hoping to get a few more species both fresh and salt from BC. But family trip and fishing is limited. If possible, there is a trip framework to visit a friend in NWT for Inconnu and a acquaintance in NU for Arctic Char in August.

New species from US states - CA (59), Florida (121), GA (8), HI (96), IL (18), IN (2), MA (8), MD (7), MO (24), NH (2), NJ (14), NY (3), PA (3), TX (4), VA (13) - will road trip through TN, KY, VA, NC and DE in this July for some 50 species potential.

New species from other countries - Belize (24), Mexico (33), St. Kitts and Nevis (6), Peru (43), Cambodia (10), China (7), Indonesia (42), Malaysia (8), Thailand (13), Australia (4), France (4), Greece (12) - hoping to visit Zambia in summer 2018...and then start seriously considering Antarctica!

After 725+ species and these many places...

Florida is still my top fishing destination. You can DIY everything there and do well without a guide...as long as you have some fishing sense. On the last trip, we DIY some sharks from shore including 6' Lemon Shark, 5' Bull Shark and lost a few nice Blacktips up to 5-6' long and a big Bull that we simply could not stop. I've jumped a couple of Tarpons from the bridges in the Keys, and landed keeper size Red Grouper on rental boats. Anything and everything is possible in the Florida...and the Keys is ridiculous any time of the year. There's always something to catch.

The seconds destination that is close to my heart is Hawaii. Not only that my grandma lives there and I have some local friends, but everything about Hawaii is magical. Shots at bluewater pelagics just 5min from launch (Big Island), 100lb Giant Trevally from cliff side spots from local friends' stories, tones of smaller GTs, Bluefin Trevally, Barracuda and other predators on lures. You can wade coral flats for 4-8lb Bonefish, with real shots at double digit specimens. If you want to partake, try to land a big Surgeonfish, Unicornfish or Sea Chub on ultralight and 4lb fluoro...and hope you don't get cut by the sharp volcanic rock or coral. There is NO bad time to visit Hawaii.
The third destination is Belize. DIY tarpon and bonefish. I mean...school of 50 bonefish by the dock in town. Tarpon cruising in the light just a rod tip away from shore. And real shots at them. First day I tried for these tarpon and landed on. Got tired of feeding shrimp tails to bonefish after bonefish. And then there's the variety of other species. Again, NO bad time to visit Belize. On windy days, just bring a spinning rod and you can continue to fish for bones and poons.

Lastly, a recent trip to Komodo Island was unreal. $500pp for 4 days on a private wooden boat charter with my sister to visit the land of the Komodo Dragon situated in the world's most biodiverse marine environment. Fishing was limited to a couple of hours here and there between hikes and snorkeling, and 1-2hr of trolling when moving between locations. Yet, it was DIY Wahoo on my own gear with a bonus Twospot Snapper (Red Bass), Goldspotted Trevally and Coral Trout...among 38 other species. Saw some GTs around but I could care less about them now.

If you don't care what you catch, then these are my recommendations. Peru was unreal too...it was an awesome time...but not nearly as great. Maybe I just love the salt more.

If you have time to see some pics and read some stories, many of these adventures are detailed on my blog. My life list (similar to a birding list) is the link below. However, work has been busy and about 200 species have not been updated yet. When I'm not teaching this summer, there will finally be time to update this list...

http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot...cies-list.html

* Not my intention to promote my blog. Just sharing in case like-minded people would like to have a look.
Just got back from Hawaii and thought it was a bust for shore fishing. I fished Big Island for 10 days hard and caught almost nothing. Going to post a report up soon, but not worth the travel or the time I found. Id honestly rank Hawaii on the bottom of my list and Ive fished many spots. From just pure island/nature Id also have to put it way down low. To me it was the most over rated place Ive ever been to. Was really surprised to be honest. Maybe I did something wrong. I fished both East and West shore.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fur View Post
Just got back from Hawaii and thought it was a bust for shore fishing. I fished Big Island for 10 days hard and caught almost nothing. Going to post a report up soon, but not worth the travel or the time I found. Id honestly rank Hawaii on the bottom of my list and Ive fished many spots. From just pure island/nature Id also have to put it way down low. To me it was the most over rated place Ive ever been to. Was really surprised to be honest. Maybe I did something wrong. I fished both East and West shore.
What were your targets in Hawaii? How were you rigged up?

One thing I can say for sure...with the super clear water, Hawaiian fishes are extremely shy of terminal tackle and anything that looks unnatural. My friends all said Hawaiian fish are the toughest to fool. You need super light and super long leader even for small reef fish. For example, if I were to go after Goatfish species, I'll need a length of 8' long 6lb fluoro. Another challenge is the reefy and rocky shoreline that decimate terminal tackle supply. Hawaiian like to use water bubble that can offer enough weight to cast the rig far, but suspend in the water column so the rig is not snagged all the time.

However, the trevally species will chase almost anything that moves fast. But you do have to cover a lot of ground to find them since the roam around the reefs for prey. Dawn and dusk is best (dawn patrol), but tide plays huge role that factor into action. If the fish cannot enter the inner lagoon, you're mostly casting at nothing.

On BI, not many bonefish (there are exceptions of a few spots). Most of the bones are found on older islands (Kauai, Oahu, Maui, Molokai).

But BI offers great deepwater access. At South Point you can drop a line at the side of the cliff and fish in 25 feet of water.

On the weird side, ALL reef fish LOVES bread there. Some of the big algae or coral eaters, such as Surgeonfish, Sea Chub and Parrotfish, will not chase any lures but will readily eat a piece of bread. Why? I don't know. But I lost a 10lb Parrotfish that didn't even give me a chance on 10lb fluoro and 30lb braid. As soon as I hooked up, it instantly ran to the nearest reef ledge and cut that 30lb braid like it was hair. Not even a GT can do that. If you haven't fought a Parrotfish before, you should try it. The power and speed of those fish are explosive...and you wouldn't know it based on their docile nature on the reef. BUT...they feed on some of the roughest water possible...along the reef drop off where current is strong, or on the side of cliffs where surf is pounding.

The problem with Hawaii is...just like any other popular travel destination...there are tourists EVERYWHERE and ruins the experience. I usually run the opposite direction from where everyone want to go...and usually, the views are so much better.

Anyways...I can go on forever. It's probably better for you to read about it LOL. BTW, I fished for almost a month in Hawaii last year...and there was only one day where I was skunked. We probably wouldn't be skunked if we didn't insist on soaking baits (and getting crabbed) all day trying to catch a Pacific Spotted Eagle Ray...

2016 Hawaii trip starts here. All 28 days detailed day-by-day:

http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot...ahu-day-1.html

Just some photos to share...

Pololu Valley (Big Island)

Haleakala (Maui)

Ka'ena Point (Oahu)

Paintspotted Moray from Kailua Pier. A lot of Morays around if you know where to look, and how to literally wrangle them out of their holes.

A Turkey Moray from the Kona Seawall.

Here are some older photos from trips in 2007 and 2008

Roundjaw Bonefish from areas around the Honolulu Airport...right in town. You can easily fish there by renting a kayak and wading the flats. Tons of bones...but extremely spooky. Those who know how to do it do really well. I only landed one that day.

First time trolling with a friend in Hawaii. We don't always do well...but got lucky that day in June. April to June is Mahimahi time around Oahu. Ahi is best from May to July. Marlin fishing is better in the fall around Oahu.

Did a little deep drop off Penguin Bank, about 25miles due south of Oahu. It's a bank that extends off Maui. Lots of Amberjacks if you want to partake as well.

Old 06-05-2017, 03:16 PM

My best experiences ever...

Brasil- grew up catching Peacock Bass( best fighting fish hands down lb for lb imo) painted catfish and Picaracu

Argentina - Trout fishing is unreal and very minimal pressure

New Zealand- trout fishing was unreal also

Florida - called fishing capital of the world for a reason, can fish canals for Largemouth and Peacocks, shipwrecks for grouper and ambers next day and then go tarpon and snook fishing on 3rd day.. no where like it

Good luck and enjoy what ever you choose
Old 06-05-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:

Mexico: Fly-fishing for bones, permit, and tarpon best place is in the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve. Most lodges there are amazing and the fishing is amazing. My favorite place to fish in Mexico.
I did this once when staying on the Mayan Riviera near Playa Del Carmen. Pesca Maya picked me up from my hotel and took me and a group of others to their lodge at Ascension Bay. I had my own boat and guide and fly fished the lagoon. Was a great experience and I'd do it again. There is also a fly fishing flat on the other side of Cancun if you are staying near there.

I've tried shore fishing in Maui and Cuba but not had much success with that, but I confess I didn't try very hard or long.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I did this once when staying on the Mayan Riviera near Playa Del Carmen. Pesca Maya picked me up from my hotel and took me and a group of others to their lodge at Ascension Bay. I had my own boat and guide and fly fished the lagoon. Was a great experience and I'd do it again. There is also a fly fishing flat on the other side of Cancun if you are staying near there.

I've tried shore fishing in Maui and Cuba but not had much success with that, but I confess I didn't try very hard or long.
Nice! That was the outfitter I used also. They did it right I find. Really dedicated to fishing. What did you end up getting? I got a bunch of jacks, small bonefish, and some 30-40lb tarpon. Id go back in a second!
Old 06-05-2017, 07:30 PM

Keep em coming guys love the info. Thanks. Thinking of Costa Rica and don't mind roughing it and fishing with the old locals for big tarpon that try to jump in the boat and beat ya down. That's my idea of fish of a lifetime. Might only hook up once a day but leaves a scar on ya somewhere. Do your research and be careful over there
Old 06-05-2017, 08:11 PM

Thanks for all the info, I was also thinking Costa Rica, but I also heard good things about Nicaragua, Chile! It sounds like many of you had a good time in Florida, I might have to do a little research!
Old 06-06-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Nice! That was the outfitter I used also. They did it right I find. Really dedicated to fishing. What did you end up getting? I got a bunch of jacks, small bonefish, and some 30-40lb tarpon. Id go back in a second!
I got jacks, bonefish, and something else I don't recall. No tarpon. I did see quite a few barracuda. Fastest fish I have ever seen. Shake their tail and they were gone. Oh, and saw crocodiles. Decided not to wade and just stay in the boat. LOL
Old 06-06-2017, 02:26 PM

Only place I've fished abroad has been Bahamas, specifically Crooked/Acklins Island, back in 2008 and 2011
Hurricane Joaquin pretty much wiped out Crooked Island, hopefully they're able to rebuild
We stayed at Landrail Point both times, had guest houses right on the beach that each slept 3-4 grown adults comfortably
Had incredible weather (went April/May) and more importantly, incredible fishing. Bonefish were the main target, tried for Permit and Tarpon a couple times with no luck. Live-Bait fishing for Snapper was a highlight as well, a couple days of deep sea too.
As part of the trip, we had our meals provided by a local lady named Willie who also prepared our dinners at the end of each day at her restaurant. Incredible fresh seafood!
Our guides were all local, Clinton, Shaky, Michael, Kenny to name a few. All outstanding in their knowledge of the area, great guys without a doubt
Went for a total of seven days fishing both times, allow 1-day of travel down and back
Routing at the time was Edmonton-Toronto-Nassau-Crooked and reverse on the way home
If I recall correctly, all in it was around $3,500.00 CDN for me, included flights, accommodations, meals, gear and booze. Tip was extra at the end
I would go back in a heartbeat!

My uncle has recently been going to Tarponville in Costa Rica and I've seen some unreal pictures of the fish they're catching there, WOW!
Old 06-06-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THERICARDO View Post
My best experiences ever...
Florida - called fishing capital of the world for a reason, can fish canals for Largemouth and Peacocks, shipwrecks for grouper and ambers next day and then go tarpon and snook fishing on 3rd day.. no where like it

Good luck and enjoy what ever you choose
Reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaly. I didn't know you could catch peacock bass in Florida. Seeing that you have done Brazil, sounds like a lot , does the peacock fishing in Florida compare?
Old 06-13-2017, 05:13 PM

Default Cuba

BC's home,... but "abroad" means saltwater fishing to us.

Been to Roatan,.. small bones, lots of permit... not bad. Belize,.. much the same. Cuba on the other hand was wicked. 3-8Lb Bonefish, Permit galore, and tarpon. We fished out of Cayo Coco, picked up a guide for about $360/day and bob's your uncle. Been back 3 times now, it's home away from home. you can book through this company... who are actually Canadian... www.holywaters.ca