Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-02-2017, 08:39 PM

Default Obsidian Arrow Heads

Hoping that a "traditional" bowhunter out there may be able to answer this question.

I am interested in building my own Yew selfbow and arrows - I want to make a fully "traditional" bow with no "modern" materials according to the "traditional Bowyers Bible" text.

This would include the arrow heads which I intend to knap out of obsidian.

Many moons ago I recall reading within the regulations that arrow heads (i.e. broadheads) had to be "modern".

This restriction seems to have been removed from the regulations (years ago pursuant to a FN challenge of the regulation I believe).

The current regulations state as follows with respect to arrows and broad heads:

General
It is unlawful to set out, use or employ any of the following items for the purpose of hunting any wildlife: an arrow equipped with an explosive head, l a firearm that is capable of firing more than one

Big Game
It is unlawful to
1. set out, use or employ any of the following items for the purpose of
hunting big game:
1. set out, use or employ any of the following items for the purpose of
hunting big game:an arrow other than an authorized arrow (page 44),

An authorized arrow is one that is not less than 61 cm (24 in.) in length that has a tip that bears a head that is not intentionally designed to resist being withdrawn after it has penetrated an object.
Furthermore, it must either have a solid, sharp cutting head of at least 7/8 inch in width, or a head that, when the arrow impacts, opens to present sharp cutting edges at least 7/8 inch in width.

Thus my reading of these regulations are that provided that the broad head meet the dimensions specified - an obsidian broad head would meet this description?

Wondering if anyone does this or knows of someone who is into this style of hunting?

Thanks
Old 04-02-2017, 08:45 PM

If the head meets the width requirments and is not barbed ,!yes it is legal
Cat
Old 04-03-2017, 12:07 AM

Yes you can use stone points. I knapped a few for my buddy and he killed a doe deader than dead with a stone head. That said....it's a huge journey to make all your own gear and kill an animal with it. Hope you have a long attention span.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:52 AM

I'm not an archery person, never have been but one of my hobbies was looking for and finding arrowheads in farmer's fields. I have found several that are in perfect condition and are very sharp. They are not really worth much $ wise and I just keep them in a drawer in my bedroom.
I have wondered if anyone has ever made their own arrows using these arrowheads and hunted with them.
Sorry to hijack your post.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red 250 View Post
I'm not an archery person, never have been but one of my hobbies was looking for and finding arrowheads in farmer's fields. I have found several that are in perfect condition and are very sharp. They are not really worth much $ wise and I just keep them in a drawer in my bedroom.
I have wondered if anyone has ever made their own arrows using these arrowheads and hunted with them.
Sorry to hijack your post.
Not a great idea unless the points are retouched before using.

Freshly knapped obsidian is sharper than any steel.
Stone points that have been laying on the ground for years will undoubtedly be dull.

A person that has the skill to retouch a point also has the skill to make one from scratch.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 04-03-2017, 02:46 PM

Walking buffalo is right about the dullness part and since it's not impossible to make them I'd rather use a new one than destroy something very old. On the other hand it would have a huge significance to use a head that someone all those years ago had made.