Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-06-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
The reason why trap is superior to learning how to wing shoot is that the shooter is changes positions and the clays will come out at different directions and elevations. When wind is involved it gets really hairy. The shooter must learn to recognize where to pull the trigger in regards to the clay position and distance. These fundamentals can be learned at trap and with the slightest understanding can adapt this to hunting birds with any presentation.

If you cannot take the leanings from trap and apply it to oncoming or crossing birds than you may have to shoot sporting clays. Sporting clays is like summer school for kids that may not grasp concepts as easy as the rest of the crowd. They try hard but they just don't quite get it...

Skeet is what you learn before trap. Its like shooting with your machine locked in one position. Unless you can convince live game to fly in the same direction every time, the only advantage is getting used to shot gunning. Once you learn the dance move onto trap. The best tool for a skeet shooter may be to purchase the Luminosity Brain Training software. https://www.lumosity.com/landing_pag...FRKRfgodawcNbg
Im going to go out on a limb and say you have never shot skeet. If you want to practice multiple target presentations in regards for training for birds sporting clays is the best with skeet second and trap third.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 09-06-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
Im going to go out on a limb and say you have never shot skeet. If you want to practice multiple target presentations in regards for training for birds sporting clays is the best with skeet second and trap third.
My good fellow I would retreat from the limb and head back to the trunk. I spent may years at Beaver Hills Sporting Clays and would shoot about 2000 targets a year out there. Much of that time was spent on their skeet field. I shot competitive trap for many a year and have a pile of registered targets under my name. For several years I was a member at 4 different ranges to get enough clay busting time under my belt to remain competitive. That was up until about 2009, now I have reeled back my shooting and only shoot about 4000-5000 targets a year. I still shoot a good mix of the disciplines and still enjoy them. I am looking forward to the new sporting clays complex on the west side of Edmonton to try something new.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
I am looking forward to the new sporting clays complex on the west side of Edmonton to try something new.
i'm not!

but what harm could another drain on my wallet do?
Old 09-06-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Really? I personally find trap the easiest discipline. I've taken people out who have never shot a shotgun before and they can hit over 50%. I guess it's like bird hunting if you know exactly where the bird is going to flush from, which way it will fly generally, and it flies in a straight line and predictable trajectory away from you. I thought the other two disciplines were a little more realistic. Any practice is useful of course.
Try wobble trap with the machine jacked up to international speeds. You are right, trigger time is trigger time.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:56 PM

Default elk11

You really have to move further south. Our club at Mossleigh has been putting on a special pre season sporting clays practice session every Tuesday for a month now for $20 a round for 72 targets at most conceivable hunting shots.
Two Tuesdays including tonight left to go
Rob
Old 09-06-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
You mentioned skeet, so if you really mean skeet, rather than hand thrown or portable machine thrown targets, then you need at least two shots. As for caliber, only the .410 is listed by caliber, and it would be a poor choice for geese. For geese a 12 gauge is most common, although a 20 gauge can be used. As far as prairie chickens go, there is no season for them in Alberta.
So considering that you want a budget gun as well, I would look at a 12 gauge pump, something like a Remington 870 Express, or a Winchester SXP. If you purchase a gun with a 3" chamber, it will be plenty for your uses, and they are usually a bit cheaper than the 3-1/2" guns.
Sharp-tail is the closest thing to a chicken out there so that's what we call prairie chickens, so maybe he is referring to sharp-tail which you are allowed to shoot and the go bock bock bock and sound exactly like a chicken. mmmmm prairie chicken gooood.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
You really have to move further south. Our club at Mossleigh has been putting on a special pre season sporting clays practice session every Tuesday for a month now for $20 a round for 72 targets at most conceivable hunting shots.
Rob
That sounds like a hell of a deal. Wish I lived closer.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
Rob
That would be nice, but then I wouldn't be less than ten minutes from my skeet field and 100m range, and thirty minutes from a 300m range, and have three pheasant release sites within an hour of my house, that aren't packed with people during the week. That being said, I usually shoot at Beaverhill Sporting Clays once per week, but with all the home renos and training a pup, I have been to Beaverhill three times this year. I still have 1400 targets paid for, and I need to use at least 400 of them as you can only carry over 1000 into the next year. I will try and get out with a friend this weekend to burn up the 400, before pheasant season opens next week.

And next summer, I hope to make it down to shoot some birds at your facility before the pheasant season opens. I meant to this summer, but it was just too busy.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:22 PM

Oh and as for "Caliber"... only Rifles are categorized by Caliber, Shotguns are sized on Gauge (except the .410) depending on how big the muzzle opening of the shotgun will give you a different size choke, a full choke is a nice tight opening which will result in a tighter cloud of shot, the modified choke is a larger opening and will result in a larger shot cloud, a lot of guys prefer the larger choke for birds; I personally prefer a full choke to get more range.
the smallest gauge you can get in Canada is the 20ga. the largest is the 10ga.
I find the 12 to be a perfect all around shotty (you should learn the pattern of your gun, this will help you when shooting smaller critters and not blowing them up)
Old 09-06-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
the smallest gauge you can get in Canada is the 20ga.
Dont tell my 28 gauge that I use weekly for sporting clays pheasants and chukars.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:54 PM

man.. I didn't even know they made a 28ga.
how does that compare to a .410?
Old 09-06-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearstalker234 View Post
I love shooting 28's. They pattern way better than any 410. Great for upland and clay sports. The downside is the price of factory ammo.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearstalker234 View Post
The 28 is not a great deal larger than the 410 to look at both cartridges, but it performs like it is much larger. I use a 28 gauge for almost all of my upland bird hunting, including pheasants, and it is very effective. I also use a 28 gauge as my primary skeet gun, and do manage to shoot clean rounds of doubles with it now and then, as well as many clean rounds of regular skeet. The downside is the cost of factory target loads, but a person can reload the hulls for less than buying 12 gauge factory loads. I currently own three 28 gauge shotguns, two O/U , and a SxS.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:10 PM

wow, I might have to look into picking up a 28.. it sounds like it might be little bit more of a challenge (aka more fun) for birds and things.
thanks guys
Old 09-06-2016, 04:14 PM

Don't forget the 28 is still pushing 3/4oz of #8's. That's like 300 pellets. A 12 gage trap load contains an ounce usually so 400 pellets. If you look at it that way, in the hands of a competent shooter, the downfall of shooting a 28 instead of a 12 is marginal if that. I would love to see more 28's in peoples hands.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:19 PM

One of close to a dozen chukars shot with a 28 gauge during our recent NAVHDA tests. The bird folded instantly, and the feathers rained down for a while after it hit the ground.

Old 09-06-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
One of close to a dozen chukars shot with a 28 gauge during our recent NAVHDA tests.
Very cool pic. Did you pass?
Old 09-06-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Very cool pic. Did you pass?
My pup passed his test, and every bird that I shot at died, so I am quite sure that I passed my first test as a gunner.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:
My pup passed his test, and every bird that I shot at died, so I am quite sure that I passed my first tests as a gunner.
Good stuff! Looks likes lots of fun.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:49 PM

here are my shotties and my k98
I painted the Maverick for Turkey hunting,
Old 09-06-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingcrazzy View Post
Thanks folks I now own a Remington 870 12 guage (not caliber) for those whom are particular about that which I will use for Geese and Not skeets but to get it right Clay Pigeons and a Mossberg 500 in a .410 which I will use for grouse, thanks again for all your info boy sure hope I got my lingo right this time do want anyone getting offended by my lack of knowledge or incompetence.
You spelled gauge wrong........

Lol..... I have the 870 in a 12 gauge and a single shot 410 for chickens myself, happy with both. I think you made a good choice. I didn't check my lingo, I'm just going to hit the submit and not give it a second thought.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:41 PM
Banned

For pump its hard to beat a super nova. Its all in preference though