Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-31-2016, 11:07 AM

So far, so good for me.

Always a great opportunity to meet fellow AO'ers...
Old 08-31-2016, 11:14 AM

Never has anyone tried to scam me here or on CGN. But no feed back buyers and sellers get on my nerves, if i do business with someone that wont give feed back i wont do business with them again. Last time i bought something here i gave him his asking price drove to his town and met him where he wanted gave pos feed back to him and...... Nothing back.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:36 PM

I always give feedback, but seems that the last few times, I get a message that feedback was given, but it's not there.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:10 PM
Banned

Last edited by gloszz; 08-31-2016 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
There is a fellow on here selling a shotgun but I wont confess what kind so he still can sell it, BUT to anyone looking for a shotgun in the Edmonton area; do not buy this 12ga from this older fellow. He is an pain to deal with and has been nothing but problems for me. Even giving me bad feedback for being an honest buyer and asking if price is firm. *cough cough*
Well it looks like your off to a good start. Good luck buying or selling here now. For future reference, maybe a better move than leaving him a negative rating would have been to talk to a moderator. Seeing as you are the only one having trouble with this fellow, is it possible the problem isn't him?

Also, looking at the add. It seems like your the kind of fellow that wants something for nothing.

Last edited by tchardy1972; 08-31-2016 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchardy1972 View Post
Well it looks like your off to a good start. Good luck buying or selling here now. For future reference, maybe a better move than leaving him a negative rating would have been to talk to a moderator. Seeing as you are the only one having trouble with this fellow, is it possible the problem isn't him?

Also, looking at the add. It seems like your the kind of fellow that wants something for nothing.
I did... They said nothing they can do since I was not scammed.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:07 PM

Have had many positives. Yes there is the odd one that wants something for nothing and yes sometimes people back out. Try selling & buying on kijiji & tell me how that worked out. If I say firm it means I am pricing it on my terms & that I will adjust the price as I see fit, not how others see fit. If one does not understand the word firm then I conclude that they have a poor vocabulary & I don't want to deal with them; Period, end of story. It's not yours until you buy it. As long as it is still mine I can darn well do whatever I want. I don't want to deal with that kind of person anyway. I would say 95% of the people on AO I have dealt with are great people.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
There is a fellow on here selling a shotgun but I wont confess what kind so he still can sell it, BUT to anyone looking for a shotgun in the Edmonton area; do not buy this 12ga from this older fellow. He is an pain to deal with and has been nothing but problems for me. Even giving me bad feedback for being an honest buyer and asking if price is firm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchardy1972 View Post

Been buying and selling on here for a while, and have had nothing but good experiences. Low ballers get ignored, as do those who want to trade junk for quality goods. I have met some awesome people and more than a few that I am now happy to call friends.

IMO there is quite a bit more to this story than meets the eye. As TCHardy mentioned, seems like you took a pretty heavy handed approach to settle a difference of opinion. The 'seller' has a good trader rating, including deals with a member that i know, have dealt with several times and whose judgement (of character) I trust. Personally, I think you 'shot yourself in the foot'.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:43 PM

Default All good

I recently purchased a rifle from one of the AO members; all went well and I believe we both walked away happy. I will mention that PAL's were inspected by both of us before the firearm was inspected and money changed hands.

Quote:
Dick284 Only one sketchy buyer, who asked for my PAL, I politely told him which train to catch.
I am curious about this comment? Was it simply because of the sketchy buyer?

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 08-31-2016, 08:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
I recently purchased a rifle from one of the AO members; all went well and I believe we both walked away happy. I will mention that PAL's were inspected by both of us before the firearm was inspected and money changed hands.

I would normally question this also, but Mr 284 seems to be respected by …..

If the permit to play is valid it should be good?????
Old 08-31-2016, 08:52 PM

I've bought, sold and gave away, and as far as I remember all have been good experiences. I've even made a few friends and keep in touch with a few other members. As a whole I think the forum has a good thing going. The trader rating is a great feature and a great way of judging character. If it's a newer member, well they have to start somewhere and things can only go up if you play your cards right.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:56 PM
Banned

Quote:

I could not quote the comment in your post #39
That is all.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:01 PM

Bought ,sold and gave away,all was good.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:09 PM

Sure, buyers figure sellers are difficult if they stick to their price,
It can be the buyers that are difficult too tho. Tire kickers, time wasters,
and you can tell they are bottom feeders if they post looking for an item when they say, " if you have this item just laying around "
You'd better be prepared to give it away as they will pay very little.

TBark
Old 08-31-2016, 09:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post
Been buying and selling on here for a while, and have had nothing but good experiences. Low ballers get ignored, as do those who want to trade junk for quality goods. I have met some awesome people and more than a few that I am now happy to call friends.

IMO there is quite a bit more to this story than meets the eye. As TCHardy mentioned, seems like you took a pretty heavy handed approach to settle a difference of opinion. The 'seller' has a good trader rating, including deals with a member that i know, have dealt with several times and whose judgement (of character) I trust. Personally, I think you 'shot yourself in the foot'.
I think this fellow might have been having a bad day since I literally was inspecting the gun, as is my right as a buyer, asked normal questions and asked if his listed price is the lowest he is willing to go. I never lowballed or anything. I was shocked how upset he got.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:50 PM

I would be very reluctant to leave a negative trader rating to anyone over a disagreement or hurt feelers. People work for years to build up unblemished ratings. I would only do so if a product was clearly misrepresented, but even then, buyer beware should reign supreme. It is up to you to get pics.

What makes me roll my eyes is guys who don't post pics and then get their panties in a knot when someone wants a number of pics. Goodness gracious, guns, even to those of us who buy and sell frequently, are not cheap. $1000 is a basic rifle, but $1000 isn't chump change. If it is to you, shoot me a pm, as we will go hunting and you can pick up the tab for gas, and bring a bucket of chicken from Mary Brown's, cuz I like that stuff, even if Elkhunter11 thinks it's not as good as KFC
Old 08-31-2016, 10:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I would be very reluctant to leave a negative trader rating to anyone over a disagreement or hurt feelers. People work for years to build up unblemished ratings. I would only do so if a product was clearly misrepresented, but even then, buyer beware should reign supreme. It is up to you to get pics.

What makes me roll my eyes is guys who don't post pics and then get their panties in a knot when someone wants a number of pics. Goodness gracious, guns, even to those of us who buy and sell frequently, are not cheap. $1000 is a basic rifle, but $1000 isn't chump change. If it is to you, shoot me a pm, as we will go hunting and you can pick up the tab for gas, and bring a bucket of chicken from Mary Brown's, cuz I like that stuff, even if Elkhunter11 thinks it's not as good as KFC
Yea, not posting pics and saying they don't know how to post pics and don't know how to text is the worst.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:19 PM

Quote:

I was the seller, he was the buyer.
All was progressing well, PM's and emails back and forth, extra photos the whole gambit.
Then he says can you send me your PAL info. Pardon me, but that's my call as the seller. As a seller I've never been asked for my PAL. When I said yours first, all communication ceased.
It's all here:
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=252451

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 08-31-2016 at 10:30 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:47 PM

Had a fella one time who was buying a gun from me ask me for my home address. I was sending him the gun. When asked, he told me his wife wanted it. Conversation ended quickly with a firm, "No. You handle your wife." Was gonna tell him I am happily married and I ain't into that stuff, but I wanted to sell the gun He bought it anyhow.

Every other interaction has been smooth as golden on both this and other websites.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
I was the seller, he was the buyer.
All was progressing well, PM's and emails back and forth, extra photos the whole gambit.
Then he says can you send me your PAL info. Pardon me, but that's my call as the seller. As a seller I've never been asked for my PAL. When I said yours first, all communication ceased.
It's all here:
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=252451
Thanks for the link. And that right there is an entire list of reasons why I won't purchase/sell/trade a firearm online. Face to face or no deal. No exceptions.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 09-01-2016, 07:23 AM

My experience thus far has been minimal...to the exception of two sellers in particular who've been great to PM/discuss with, 95% of those contacted simply don't reply to the simplest question regarding their items up for sale/trade.

Or they don't read their PM (using the read confirmation option)...

Or they don't amend their thread's TITLE to mark them as SOLD...

Still new to the site and I must not have enough posts yet as I still can't access / view member's feedback information, profiles, etc. so it's a shot in the dark really as to who you're dealing with.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:33 AM

All very satisfactory deals, though disappointed in lack of feedback posts from a few.
I guess a few on here do not understand the value of feedback posts to both sides of a deal.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskbooknut View Post
All very satisfactory deals, though disappointed in lack of feedback posts from a few.
I guess a few on here do not understand the value of feedback posts to both sides of a deal.
With all my deals here on a.o. and can I have only had 1 transaction where the other fellow wouldn't leave feed back even after being asked several times. I have had to politely remind a couple though.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:52 AM

The OP also had a negative trader rating handed to him ( his one and ONLY) the other member .
Two sides to every story and the strange thing is there was no transaction but it was a face to face meeting !
Protesting too much often says more than one bargained for .
Cat
Old 09-01-2016, 09:00 AM

Sold a pistol through the B-S on here last year. I had more of a run around with getting the paperwork ready with the RCMP then I did with the buyer. All in all I would do it again. It was relatively painless however I had absolutely no issues with the buyer what so ever. The money was received before I sent gun. I was a little concerned with it being an out of province transaction but it all worked out. He did not leave any feed back and my thoughts on that is ..... Meh, I know who I am.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:08 AM

All went smooth except for a few minor issues;
When leaving feedback you have to leave some text in the message box, took me a while to figure that out.
I had a request for more pic's while I was taking the pictures I got an "I'll take it" the first guy wasn't happy I sold it under him. Now I specify that requests for pic's or more information does not reserve the item.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:04 PM
Banned

Default Here's how I do it.

When a potential sale comes across my lap, I contact my friends that I've made on the form and give them first dibs. Just sold a pristine Browning A bolt in 300WM, stainless stalker, a Leupy 3-9X. No questions asked, here's $800.00 and all is good. Just so you all know, I have a gorgeous 7x57 Ackley Improved gun up for sale. But that ain't no ordinary gun. It was PO Ackley's personal sheep hunting gun. Purchased from his estate. Would you all care to bid on this beauty? Not likely.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:33 AM

Default It can be irritating dealing with some........

I particularly enjoy the "wanted firearm for nothing" twits.Makes you wonder if they even have a PAL or a paper route? Lately had ....looking for a shooter Mosin Nagant .......so you offer a selection under $150 and even to arrange a delivery in Edmonton and they fall silent.........WOT.......Harold
Old 09-03-2016, 11:28 AM

I've made a few deals both here on Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum and over on CGN.... they've all gone smoothly, without any problems.
Old 09-03-2016, 04:30 PM

I have only dealt with heybert, but he told me what he wanted for the rifle, I told him what I would pay for the rifle, we came to a price, I took him the cash and all was good. Its nice to be able to meet fellow outdoorsmen when doing these deals in person, that's why I prefer dealing here rather than cgn.