Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-24-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I said basically the same thing on this thread and someone removed it.
Are you sure Chuck?
I looked and didn't see it - although it is a bit funny.
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 08-24-2016 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I said basically the same thing on this thread and someone removed it.

Not removed just misplaced.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=296792
Old 08-24-2016, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purgatory.sv View Post
I merged these two treads.
Only needed in one forum, too hard to keep track of otherwise.
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 08-24-2016 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:38 AM

Laughing! That makes sense. I wondered where it went and thought it was in good taste. :-)

-Billy Molls
Old 08-24-2016, 05:44 PM
Banned

Default This has happened before!

A few years ago, I was shooting a silhouette match at LFGA (Lethbridge). A fellow was shooting a brand new gorgeous Anschutz rifle. He got his butt handed to him by some CZ's and an old school Remington and was so peed off and pouted that he exited in a hurry and left his gun on the rack. Lucky for him, an honest guy that knew him and was also shooting took it back to him. That had to be an $1800.00 rifle scope and all.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Could also be someone who is away on holidays and hasn't yet realised it is missing or someone who doesn't read AO. If it isn't claimed in a couple of weeks it shouldn't be too hard for the club to contact those that signed in on the 21st.
SPFGA is in the process now of contacting over 70 possible shooters that signed in on Sunday at the range.
Old 08-27-2016, 02:55 PM

It's been a week and Sherwood Park Fish and Game still have no idea who the owner of the lost rifle is.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:21 PM

Don't feel bad, I've had one locked up for a year. Once got a bolt reconnected with it's owner after a couple of years.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:29 PM

I'm not really sure how you could forget a rifle and if you did wouldn't you go pick it up as soon as you remember. I've had a few over the years that I would have liked to leave at the range but never did.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:24 PM

Needs to be analyzed for the JFK mystery?
Old 08-27-2016, 09:21 PM

Can't fix stupid!!
Old 09-01-2016, 09:45 AM

Incidents like this caused me to put idiot stickers with my name and phone number on my range gear. A rifle though?????
Old 09-01-2016, 04:41 PM

Said "misplaced" rifle STILL hasn't been claimed! Not one phone call.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:00 PM
Banned

Perchance have you checked to see if it was stolen?
Could be that whoever left it doesn't want to bring attention to themselves.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:31 PM

Oh,yes. It certainly could have been stolen and rather upsetting that a member could have brought it out to the range. Contacted RCMP who told us to contact Gun Registry. Were told all files have been destroyed since registration is no longer required. Went back to RCMP and they said they really couldn't do anything. So we have a brand new rifle that is not registered anywhere and have been advised to set a date and if not claimed by then, we may auction it off. So, we are now considering all this excellent advice!
Old 09-02-2016, 10:30 AM

This is really strange. I was out at the range the day before and there were quite a few people out; Is it possible it belonged to someone from the day before and just didn't get noticed till the 31st. Has the club tried calling those that signed in on the 30th.
Old 09-02-2016, 11:09 AM

If it was my gun i would be more worried about being charged with improper storage or undue care and attention then I would be to retrieve it.

Lost one gun or loose them all would be my thought right now.

Not sure but sometimes things happen, and we pay for those mostakes. Mitigating the risk is one thing the owner is more then likely thinking right now.

Maybe be clear that if the owner does come forward no harm no foul. Just collect your rifle no names no reports just a friendly hand shake.
Old 09-02-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
If it was my gun i would be more worried about being charged with improper storage or undue care and attention then I would be to retrieve it.

Lost one gun or loose them all would be my thought right now.

Not sure but sometimes things happen, and we pay for those mostakes. Mitigating the risk is one thing the owner is more then likely thinking right now.

Maybe be clear that if the owner does come forward no harm no foul. Just collect your rifle no names no reports just a friendly hand shake.
The entire situation is strange, but it is possible that the owner fears that he may end up in trouble by claiming the firearm. We had a case of someone putting notices up all over our range about a firearm that was left at our range, but was gone a few hours later when the owner returned for it. The executive wanted him to file a police report since the firearm went missing on our range but the owner absolutely refused. Even when we explained that we had several officers as members that had likely already seen the notices, with his name and number, he still refused to file a report.
Old 09-02-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
This is really strange. I was out at the range the day before and there were quite a few people out; Is it possible it belonged to someone from the day before and just didn't get noticed till the 31st. Has the club tried calling those that signed in on the 30th.
The rifle was left on Sunday, August 21st. All signed in members for the 21st were called to ask if they had misplaced a firearm at the range. It was simply a matter of "Oh my god, I did leave my rifle there!" and they would have been told where to pick it up. This was even stated on the found poster that was put up immediately that evening with phone numbers to call. This is one very strange case which we would definitely like to solve. No harm, no foul, please just claim your rifle!! At the very least, if it's yours, send me a PM.
Old 09-02-2016, 12:46 PM

THE LOST IS FOUND!! Owner of rifle called and had very interesting story to tell. Blamed his wife, of course!!

He was out at the SPFG range that day and took five rifles with him to play with. Let someone try this particular rifle and moved to the next range while the person tried it. Unfortunately, when he went to go home, his wife helped him load his rifles and ammo and he forgot about the one at the rifle range next door. Went down to clean his guns this morning and freaked when he saw the empty space where his "lost" rifle should have been. Immediately called the SPFG president and was greatly relieved to hear his rifle was safe. So, all is well, mystery solved and very valuable lesson learned. I'll bet he won't be doing that again!
Old 09-02-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow dog View Post
THE LOST IS FOUND!! Owner of rifle called and had very interesting story to tell. Blamed his wife, of course!!

He was out at the SPFG range that day and took five rifles with him to play with. Let someone try this particular rifle and moved to the next range while the person tried it. Unfortunately, when he went to go home, his wife helped him load his rifles and ammo and he forgot about the one at the rifle range next door. Went down to clean his guns this morning and freaked when he saw the empty space where his "lost" rifle should have been. Immediately called the SPFG president and was greatly relieved to hear his rifle was safe. So, all is well, mystery solved and very valuable lesson learned. I'll bet he won't be doing that again!
Good to hear. Glad it worked out. Only mystery that remains is if all shooters that signed in on that day were contacted how did he get missed?
Old 09-02-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Good to hear. Glad it worked out. Only mystery that remains is if all shooters that signed in on that day were contacted how did he get missed?
He didn't get missed. When they called him at home, he said he had brought all his guns home. He was obviously mistaken.
Old 09-02-2016, 02:46 PM

I learned s very long time ago to pack my own stuff , hook up my own trailers, do my own rigging and load of my own guns and tools!!
Had the same thing happen except it was stuff like ammo !
Cat
Old 09-05-2016, 07:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Sako Grey Wolf .300Win with a Zeiss in a Pelican?

(I totally left all 3 of these there last week, btw)
Also, where exactly is this range?
where exactly is the range? Really??
Old 09-05-2016, 10:09 PM

I have forgotten my 22 at the range. Once my center fire heated up I would shoot rim fire a bit. Halfway home it dawned on me that my custom 10/22 was still in the rack.....time to turn around.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I learned s very long time ago to pack my own stuff , hook up my own trailers, do my own rigging and load of my own guns and tools!!
Had the same thing happen except it was stuff like ammo !
Cat
Learned that the hard way this summer.
A weeks camping at a wilderness campground...an hours drive from the closest town, Drumheller.
As I packed the coolers and water and such I asked number one son (15) to throw the sleeping bags, pads and tent in the truck.
Got to the campsite and started unpacking.
For the three of us I've found that one needs the 6 man tent for comfort.
Well...out comes the coolers, stove, sleeping bags...and the one man backpacking tent.
Now admittedly, it was on the same shelf as the big tent...
After I over the momentary WTF...headed into Drumheller to pick up a new tent.
Pretty funny now (and one I won't let the boy live down for awhile)...not so much at the minute he passed the tent out to me.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Learned that the hard way this summer.
A weeks camping at a wilderness campground...an hours drive from the closest town, Drumheller.
As I packed the coolers and water and such I asked number one son (15) to throw the sleeping bags, pads and tent in the truck.
Got to the campsite and started unpacking.
For the three of us I've found that one needs the 6 man tent for comfort.
Well...out comes the coolers, stove, sleeping bags...and the one man backpacking tent.
Now admittedly, it was on the same shelf as the big tent...
After I over the momentary WTF...headed into Drumheller to pick up a new tent.
Pretty funny now (and one I won't let the boy live down for awhile)...not so much at the minute he passed the tent out to me.
If that happened to me, I would be sleeping in the tent and number one son would be out under the stars. Back of a pickup is a good learning opportunity. I need to be able to rely on my hunting, fishing partners and wife to pull their won weight, can't be doing everything. Since I expect it, and was pretty vocal about any misses early on, they all pull their fair share and rarely mess up.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:25 PM

Try a 2 week hunting trip with no salt and pepper....I still make sure that doesn't happen again.