Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-02-2016, 10:02 PM
Banned

Default When to buy a firearm

What is the appropriate age to buy your child a firearm? Not to give them control over access, but to be able to teach them safety on something they can call their own.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:06 PM

There is no set age , some kids start earlier than others .
Cat
Old 09-02-2016, 10:12 PM
Banned

Makes sense. Responsibility is a tough concept for many nowadays, and I don't want mine lacking in that sense especially when it comes to firearms. My daughter will be 5 soon and I want to be teaching her the basics but I don't know if that's too early.

PS she's probably one of the more observant kids I've seen. Not that I'm biased or anything.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Makes sense. Responsibility is a tough concept for many nowadays, and I don't want mine lacking in that sense especially when it comes to firearms. My daughter will be 5 soon and I want to be teaching her the basics but I don't know if that's too early.

PS she's probably one of the more observant kids I've seen. Not that I'm biased or anything.
I was shooting competitions before I was 8 years old but my younger brothers started a bit later .

Cat
Old 09-02-2016, 10:17 PM

Bought my boy a savage cub 22 single shot when he was 7, a 243 when he was 11 and a 300wm at 14. If the kid shows an interest I don't think 5 is too young.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:18 PM

Started my son with a basic pellet/BB gun around that age. Moved to a .22 RF around 8-9. .220 Swift around 10-11, and 7mm-08 at 12. All with continuous adult supervision. He has done shooting training at our local club and I am now comfortable having him shoot from the bench beside me.

Like Cat says, every kid is different. Start small and I still the respect and rules in them from the get go. Once they prove their responsibility you can move it up a notch. Make it a privilege for them. Not a right.

SS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 09-02-2016, 11:27 PM

The Pit Boss was shooting my old pellet rifle at around age 6.
I was lent a Chipmunk .22 when he was about 8, and he started shooting it then. He was smashing clays on the trap range with the 20 ga, at age 10.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-03-2016, 01:01 AM
Banned

Good info ladies, thanks for the input.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:37 AM

Both my boys had 22's at 4 or 5.

-Billy Molls
Old 09-03-2016, 08:22 AM

I started teaching my daughter on a Red Ryder when she was 3 and last winter we picked up a savage rascal for her 6th birthday. Like everyone else said, each kid is different, some of them get it, some don't. Biggest thing is to make sure they understand the safety rules first before you get the rifle.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:29 AM

I bought my son one the day he was born but he's not seeing that one until around 16 or so as I deem appropriate; there's no set date for that. The BB gun/pellet gun is a good starter and a transition to a .22. I think bolt or break action is more appropriate for a learner than a semi-auto in order to develop good discipline.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:05 AM
Banned

Pellet gun age 6 single shot 22 age 10 first shot gun age 14 and hi power was for my 16th bday. I would like to think I was responsible enough and mature. Today's kids not so much
Old 09-03-2016, 09:29 AM

All 4 of my kids started with Daisy Red Rider BB gun. By age 4-5.

Then 22s. 2 of my girls were shooting a 30-06 by the time they were 8.

They can all run my 30-30.

They were all able to run the .410 by age 10.

My biggest girl can take the head off a gopher with my 7mmrm at 200 yards ( but she has no interest in hunting...lol).
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 09-03-2016, 09:45 AM

I was given a pellet rifle at around 5, a 22lr at 6, and I was shooting hand thrown clays with a 410 at 8. The neighbor and his wife stopped by when myself and my father were cleaning a deer in the garage, and they were shocked to learn that I had just shot the deer at 12 years of age. They were from England and had a hard time accepting that a 12 year old was even allowed to use a firearm.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:11 PM

Today.

-Billy Molls
Old 09-03-2016, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Both my boys had 22's at 4 or 5.
Mine as well
Old 09-03-2016, 09:25 PM
Banned

Both my boys received a Red Ryder when they were six and spent a year learning safety, safety, safety.
On their seventh birthdays they received their .22's.
Had many comments at the range (SPFGA) by other shooters how disciplined they were with safety rules. Once there was a twenty something fellow on the range showing his girlfriend how to shoot. While doing so he swept the firing line. It was my eight year old (at the time) who noticed it and told the fellow 'I don't want you to shoot me...don't point your gun at us'. The fellow looked pretty sheepish and I was beaming with pride.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:36 PM

my boy started shooting gophers this spring. He turned 6 in April. He shot 113 gophers this year.
Can't keep him away from the outdoors, or any gun aisles! Tonight we were out setting up the duck blinds in a torrential down pour. The kid just loves adventure.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:37 PM

My daughter had a pellet gun at 4 and now at 5 has a 22. Last Christmas I bought her own safe. She loves shooting and like her mother has far more natural ability than I. When we take any gun out the smile on her face is incredible and she has fired almost everything I own once.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:22 PM

IMO a child can learn to shoot a rifle when they are mature enough to listen carefully and follow instructions. That comes at different ages, my 6 year old seems about ready, and so does my 4 year old... the 6 year old would not have been ready at 4.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:40 PM

When your wife agrees with you that it's OK...
Old 09-04-2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
I disagree. It's when she isn't looking. I always try to avoid confrontation.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post

exactly
Old 09-05-2016, 10:02 PM

My kids had air rifles the day they were born. Started shooting them at 3-4. .22 single shots for their 5th birthdays. .410 shotguns at 6-7. My boy got a .270 for Christmas last year at 11.

My grandfather died when I was 6. My son would have been the first great grandchild and was gifted my grandfathers model 59 Winchester 12 gauge at 3 months. He has been shooting clays with it since he was 10. The fibreglass barrel puts the weight comfortably between his hands. My wife loves shooting that one as well.

It's all dependent on the kid and their experiences. Judgement call and close supervision along with good ground rules. My kids have been carrying toy guns since they could walk learning about firearm safety. Even toy guns are not allowed to be pointed at people in my house.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:27 PM

Whenever said child is responsible enough and able to understand the proper care, use and handling of the tool. As well as to understand that this tool which if misused can have severe life altering consequences. This age would depend on the child and the type of upbringing. I have some friends with children who are 3 that know more about firearms safety and use than those with teenagers.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:43 PM

At about age 6 my first daughter could pretty much give you the entire firearms safety drill and was very conscientious about everything. I remember with a smile, same daughter at age 9 going to a 4H club laser tag event. She lasted a few minutes, then dropped out to the side field. I asked her what was wrong. She says, "I can't do it! You've taught me all my life not to point guns at people and I just can't do it!"
Old 09-06-2016, 12:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger1 View Post
At about age 6 my first daughter could pretty much give you the entire firearms safety drill and was very conscientious about everything. I remember with a smile, same daughter at age 9 going to a 4H club laser tag event. She lasted a few minutes, then dropped out to the side field. I asked her what was wrong. She says, "I can't do it! You've taught me all my life not to point guns at people and I just can't do it!"
This is an issue to me.
Though as stated above, my kids were ready for firearms at seven years, they were not allowed to participate in paintball/airsoft till they turned thirteen (an arbitrary age that can be different depending on the child).
It took till that age where I figured I was comfortable that they totally knew the difference...that they were NEVER to point their firearms at something they didn't intend to kill...but that they could go out an play war games to their hearts content.
Something I wasn't sure my kids could differentiate at seven or eight.
Now something like the thinking your daughter has shown has occurred, which I find interesting.
Both boys (now 13 & 15) are pretty serious airsofters. Love spending the day at Capital Airsoft. Yet at home they both treat their airsoft rifles as firearms and refuse to point them at other people or the pets. Something I find interesting.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
This is an issue to me.
Though as stated above, my kids were ready for firearms at seven years, they were not allowed to participate in paintball/airsoft till they turned thirteen (an arbitrary age that can be different depending on the child).
It took till that age where I figured I was comfortable that they totally knew the difference...that they were NEVER to point their firearms at something they didn't intend to kill...but that they could go out an play war games to their hearts content.
Something I wasn't sure my kids could differentiate at seven or eight.
Now something like the thinking your daughter has shown has occurred, which I find interesting.
Both boys (now 13 & 15) are pretty serious airsofters. Love spending the day at Capital Airsoft. Yet at home they both treat their airsoft rifles as firearms and refuse to point them at other people or the pets. Something I find interesting.
Airsoft guns shoot projectiles. They could easily blind a person or a pet if they got hit directly in the eye. I think airsoft rifles should be treated the same as pellet rifles, which should be treated (from a safe handling perspective, anyways) the same as a real firearm. Not to be pointed at anything you don't intend to shoot.

Interesting, I don't think would be the word I'd use to describe that practice of theirs.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:36 PM

Savage Rascal is a great first .22 for a starter. Mine each have one, great pack gun too!
Old 09-07-2016, 02:45 PM

Bought my son a savage rascal .22 at age 5.....he learnt the basics of firearm safety and shooting fundamentals with a daisy for the ages of 3 & 4, and when i knew he was ready, he got the real one. Now, at age 7, the kid will outshoot me some days in the gopher pasture, and has also shot a badger, 2 yotes and a few rabbits. You'll know when their ready.