Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-20-2013, 06:22 PM

Default Elk River- Two awesome days!

Just came back from Fernie and two days on the Elk. Did Morrisey to Elko and Hosmer to Fernie. Both days were great days weather and fishing wise.

Lots of cutties and bulls. Cutties were all large fat and healthy. Eating dries, streamers and nymphs.

Heard Michel was really good too on dries.

I don't want to say it is a well spent 20 because it goes to the BC gov but the river is worth it.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFKGSP View Post
I don't want to say it is a well spent 20 because it goes to the BC gov but the river is worth it.
Actually, money from licensing goes to the Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC, the organization responsible for stocking all the lakes in BC, conservation of Nechako White Sturgeon, and organizer of a variety of fisheries initiatives (ie. Learn to fish). Money well spent!
Old 07-21-2013, 03:32 PM

PFKGSP, are you refering to a 20$/day surcharge i've heard about for out of prov. lic.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:50 PM
Banned

We should have something like that for our walleye fishery.

Whoops. We no longer have no walleye fishery, and probably will not for a long time.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrimmy View Post
PFKGSP, are you refering to a 20$/day surcharge i've heard about for out of prov. lic.
THat's the one.

If it indeed goes to the society as odoyle says then that's not too bad. Although why we have to pay to catch fish on a C&R river so others can have stocked fish in some lake I'm not sure.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:49 PM

...when in Fernie last year, i got a one year non-res, and my wife and oldest got a 1 week. They never charged us any extra...bought them at a local bike shop ?!
Old 07-22-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFKGSP View Post
Just came back from Fernie and two days on the Elk. Did Morrisey to Elko and Hosmer to Fernie. Both days were great days weather and fishing wise.

Lots of cutties and bulls. Cutties were all large fat and healthy. Eating dries, streamers and nymphs.

Heard Michel was really good too on dries.

...good to hear about the fishing though....
Old 07-23-2013, 12:21 AM

To fish the elk you need a non-resident licence which you need to fish anywhere in b.c. But to fish the elk you need a classified waters permit on top of of the b.c. license. With both licenses it's around $40 per day for Alberta residents to fish the elk. But it is worth it!
Old 07-23-2013, 08:38 AM

Like steelheading in the Fall. BC fishing license $60. Steelhead Conservation Charge $60. Classified waters from $24-$40 per day. Adds up but always worth it.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:14 AM

Default Oh poo poo on the Elk!

That $20/day thing still burns me up!!

We have waters down here that are pound for ound every dang bit as good as the Elk, or St.Mary's, Or Michelle! I know this personally and have fished all of them. I often wonder why people go all that way to fish? Is it the granola, fancy latte shee shee foo foo yuppy resort atmosphere?
Fernie does do a smashing job at welcoming upper middle class tourists. I will readily admit that. but if your out for lots of fish, not lots of people... then we got ya beat (unless ya get passed kookanusa and fish plumbob, bloom, gold or any of them otherway back ones).

It seems to me that either we albertans do a real poor job of letting people know this, or we're not as commercialized as Fernie/BC and we just don;t wanna tell and keep it to ourselves....

we seem to be doing that pretty good.

Sorry.. didn;t mean to slam your trip. the elk is very very very good fishing! You sure went at a good time!
Try to go for the running of the Bulls next time... its something else. I'm just still bitter about the $20/day thing.

Which is probablty what we should do as well I guess.... if the $$ could go to somewhere other than general gov't revenue.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."