Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-17-2013, 11:57 PM

Default Walking in felt soled boots

I am looking at getting a good pair of wading boots, since all I have used is a cheap pair of hiking boots since getting a pair of stocking foot waders (Dan Bailey Barebones). I have a few questions that i'm hoping someone can help me out with. I live about 1km from the Bow where I usually fish, and I usually walk down there, so a typical trip is usually 3-4km of walking out of the river. I have looked at the Simms Freestone felt boots and the Korkers Redsides, and I am not sure which would be better. I really like the build quality of the Simms, I am just not sure of how the felt would hold up to walking on the pavement a lot. The interchangeable soles of the Korkers seems like a good idea, but I am not sure of how easy it would be to change the soles at the river, and what the quality is like compared to the Simms. If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:00 AM

Smile

I have had several pairs of wading boots over the years. My last 3 pairs have been Korkers. Not everyone likes them. But that goes for everything out there. I do like them and the soles are quickly interchangeable. Mind you I have left the rubber soles on mine for quite some time now. There won't be any moss on the rocks this year for you to need the felt sole anyway.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:04 AM

I've had my korker guides (with boa) for over 3 years maybe four (bought them on sale at model change). Just starting to breakdown and wear out. My felt sole are shot and I cannot get replacements so must rely on felt with studs (not boat friendly), rubber (not the best grip) and big ass studs (used for early spring, late fall and winter - they are bomber).

The top end korkers would be my reco. Just be sure to size them correctly as that will influence longevity (they tend to fit small - despite what website says).

Felt & rubber will wear out ( especially walking the frequency and distance you will be doing). You can also wear another type of foot wear to/from river to ensure the longevity of your wading boots and stash in a pack, etc. but may not be a viable option especially if you are a minimalist!

P

Last edited by ÜberFly; 07-18-2013 at 05:10 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:21 PM

Thanks for the help, I ended up going with the Korkers, mainly because I like the flexibility of being able to hike with rubber soles, then wade with felt. They also happened to be on sale at the Fishin' Hole right now for $89, as opposed to $119, which also helped with the decision.

Just curious, but what do people think the chances are of felt soles being banned in Alberta are?
Old 07-19-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymack View Post
Thanks for the help, I ended up going with the Korkers, mainly because I like the flexibility of being able to hike with rubber soles, then wade with felt. They also happened to be on sale at the Fishin' Hole right now for $89, as opposed to $119, which also helped with the decision.

Just curious, but what do people think the chances are of felt soles being banned in Alberta are?
Banning felt in my opinion was a knee jerk reaction that benefiting no one but the manufacturers (keeping evasive species out s more about equipment cleanliness than a particular material). They haven't been banned yet nor is there any movement out there for that. I love Korkers, great for changing conditions. Nice also having studs when you need them and switching to rubber when I'm in a drift-boat.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 07-19-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Banning felt in my opinion was a knee jerk reaction that benefiting no one but the manufacturers (keeping evasive species out s more about equipment cleanliness than a particular material). They haven't been banned yet nor is there any movement out there for that. I love Korkers, great for changing conditions. Nice also having studs when you need them and switching to rubber when I'm in a drift-boat.
That's kind of the impression I'm getting with felt soles now. I really like the look and feel of the Simms freestones, I just don't know about the idea of only having felt. I think the korkers may be a better choice for when I'm wading in a muddy river or wading into a lake, where the felt will not help very much.