Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-21-2013, 02:05 PM

Default Reloading Press Reviews

Has anyone tried the new RCBS Summit Press, is it any good?
Old 05-22-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
Has anyone tried the new RCBS Summit Press, is it any good?
Should be fine. I say this without seeing one. Like the idea of mounting on top of bench, not over the edge. I have an old Cockchafer (auto corrects idea of how to spell rock chucker) and it sticks out far enough past bench to fulfill auto corrects name. I recently picked up a CH-4D 444 press for medium duty use, it mounts anywhere and handle travel is 90 degrees only.

For bullet seating, arbor presses and Wilson dies cannot be beat, fast, and precise.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:40 AM

Dale you need to stop using Imperial sizing wax before you do permanent damage.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:52 AM

Seems a bit gimmicky to me. I'd think it could have alignment issues. I'll stick with my ultramag, it's way stronger I think.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:48 AM

Apparently it has grease nipples on it, possibly to control binding on the post. May be not such a great thing to have on the bench, if greasing it is a necessity.. Tough to say for sure if that is really an issue without trying it, but there are plenty of other presses out there. Some of the notes I have seen of people trying it , they said they liked it's operation. Some have noted it to being similar an old Hollywood press. If it is up over the 200.00 mark, I'd get a Forster instead, although, it has limitations on cartridge length and diameter if you are doing big , long stuff.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:55 AM

If someone is looking for a Forester, pm me and I'll tell you were there is one for sale. (Not mine or anything to do with me). I would buy it but it's just not in the budget.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
Dale you need to stop using Imperial sizing wax before you do permanent damage.
Wax is okay, shortening would be a bad idea.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:49 PM

True on both counts. lol.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:37 AM

Thanks for the opinions on the press and some other presses out there. If you where to purchase one press, and the largest cartridge is a 7MM Rem Mag that you are reloading what would you recommend?
Old 05-23-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the opinions on the press and some other presses out there. If you where to purchase one press, and the largest cartridge is a 7MM Rem Mag that you are reloading what would you recommend?
If I didn't already have ten different presses I would get that RCBS Summit, for its ease of setup and mounting and short throw operation. Bullet seating with the Cockchafer is slow and cumbersome. Its also heavy duty enough for case forming with the long handle and should give good feel with the short handle for bullet seating. Picture this, you're at the bench seating bullets for a match and need a couple hundred rounds. With the Summit mounted directly in front of you the job is way easier, you can set your beverage where the o-press would normally sit. Okay I'm ordering one.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:20 AM

If you are buying a first setup, Rockchucker kit will do 98% of what needs to be done. My Forster won't handle my 450-400NE, rim is too big (.632?). Other than that, you may have issues with stuff that needs really long dies. The other thing to watch is the case trimmers, Forster standard base trimmer isn't long enough, collets for the standard, are not big enough, a Classic Original is. Hornady trimmer requires their shellholders because of the hole size, Lee & RCBS handheld primer units will not work on my 450-400 rims , either.
I'd double check with RCBS on max length on a Summit, it's likely the same as a Rockchucker. Once you start, you may not know for sure, where you will go from there, on cartridge size, down the road. 7mag won't be an issue with any of them. It's stuff like .338 Lapua's and some African cartridges that can run you out of room on some presses and trimmers.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:24 AM

For an O press I would go Rockchucker Supreme. For a C press, I'd go Forster Coax, or Redding Ultramag. The issues I see with the Summit are: you can't use it to prime. The linkage is offset from the die holder causing lateral forces that could lead to binding. If not set up correctly, it would lead to alignment issues. It does not look that strong to me.

The only plus I see is its footprint.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:53 AM

I have some big presses and handles are offset for left or right hand operation. The loads are huge and binding is never an issue. I like the fact the Summit press travels up and down its own ram, it should be forever centered. O-presses have a tendency to develop play on ram and the RCBS RC lets all the grit from spent primers gather at the base of the ram. I have never used press for priming because the tension build-up of cartridge pulling over expander ball slam-seats primer, instead of that primitive operation use a bench mounted tube fed RCBS auto prime.

For case trimmers nothing comes close to Wilson for precision trimming. A cylindrical case holder is required for each group of cartridges and they make a model for 50 BMG. The Wilson trimmer on my bench does 222 to 416 Rigby.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:24 PM
Gone Hunting

If you are starting reloading I would go with Rock Chucker Supreme Master Reloading Kit.
Check at Bass Pro Shop at 349.99 and they have free shipping offer for Canadian customers until June 6.

Rock Chucker alone is in the same price range like this new Summit, but it is proven performer for many years. I myself have late 80s model and it looks and works like new.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 05-23-2013, 12:35 PM

i think rcbs finally realized their runout issues on their old presses and cured it with this new summit press.the grease nipple is an intelligent addition,beats the crap out of constantly oiling the top and bottom of the ram.now one squirt of grease and off u go.as far as press strength goes that is extrordinarily overrated and not needed (unless of course you are building projectiles on it).
Old 05-23-2013, 02:34 PM

Which is easier pushing the down and getting the ram to go up like a RC or pulling down like the summit. Where are you likely to fatigue out from, I know that if you are pushing down you can use some of your weight to help. Also when mounting a press do you use a metal plate to distribute the forces or just mount it right onto the bench.
I have a old Lyman Spartan and it seem to struggle when sizing my 7MM.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Which is easier pushing the down and getting the ram to go up like a RC or pulling down like the summit. Where are you likely to fatigue out from, I know that if you are pushing down you can use some of your weight to help. Also when mounting a press do you use a metal plate to distribute the forces or just mount it right onto the bench.
I have a old Lyman Spartan and it seem to struggle when sizing my 7MM.
I will let you know when my Summit arrives. I am so weak!!!!!!!! Got the last one at Cabelas. RCBS doesn't have any on their shelf, and Cabelas only had one left.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:19 PM

Ha ha, thats so funny LOL. I am looking forward to your review as I am about a month away from purchasing a press.