Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-23-2022, 10:21 PM

Default Youth setup question

Well my boy is coming of age.. Curious what others have set there kids up with. Brand / model of rifle and which caliber.

I rifle hunt elk. Moose and deer. It would be great for him to pair with a gun he can grow with and have opportunities to hunt those types of hunts.

If there is posts on this. I apologize.. Send me links instead

Cheers
Old 01-23-2022, 10:32 PM

When my daughter was ready, I purchased a Savage Axis in 270WIN which is what I shoot. It came with the standard crappy synthetic stock (way too flexible). I bought a laminated stock from Boyd's in a colour she wanted, and fitted it to her. Iit is a tack driver now, and the heavier stock makes shooting it enjoyable for her. Although heavier than the synthetic, it a relatively easy carry for her. In the future, I'll just add spacers if they are needed.

Vic
Old 01-24-2022, 04:21 AM

From a few weeks ago maybe?

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=401025

I’d go for a 6.5cm or a 7mm08 or .308.

You mention animals such as elk and moose though along with deer so I’d pick a premium load shooting the lighter Barnes, or heavier partition, or other bonded bullets of suitable weight.
Old 01-24-2022, 07:23 AM

I as in the same boat as you the last couple years with both of my kids turning 12 and wanting to hunt big game.

I also was wanting a rifle and cartridge that would get them started on deer but would suffice on bears/moose/elk later on without having to upgrade/change rifles.

I chose to go with the 270 Win as my wife already shoots one(Savage 111) and I'm set up for reloading for it.

My daughter is a bit taller with longer arms and my wife's 270 fit her well so she has been using it which she shoots well.

With my son, I had to purchase another rifle for him and went with a 270 Win as well. He is a bit smaller frame with shorter arms so I got him a Savage 110 Apex hunter with the built in spacers for adjusting the length of pull. He also shoots it well.

For both of them, they are shooting reduced recoil loads which puts recoil into the 243 Win territory. Down the road they can step up to full loads if they want to for larger animals and extending their effective range a bit.

Worked for us....
Old 01-24-2022, 08:45 AM

When my son was 12 his uncle gave me his original model 70 in 3006. I had a brake put on it and a good macmillan stock. created a load with 165 grain bullets and he is now 38 and has used in on several big game hunts. great for deer and as always the 30 06 is versatile enough with heavier loads and bullets for moose elk or deer.
Old 01-24-2022, 11:32 AM

I started with a cheapo 7mm-08 ruger american. Never did catch on to it and had problems with the magazines from day one. Tried a few different mags, with the same abysmal results. Got rid of it after 2 years.

Then I found a 7mm-08 kimber Adirondack a few years ago for the wife, that the kids also use.

Small, light with a short barrel. Shooting 150 ELD-X for the likes of moose, and other smaller game.

Has worked out great, and taken game with no issues, and it shoots great out to 550 yards. Max I've taken it so far.
Old 01-24-2022, 11:36 AM

I went with a savage axis youth in 7mm-08 with the thought that he'll use it for a few years and once he's big enough I'll sell it for almost what we paid for it and he'll get a tikka t3 in some larger cal. In my opinion the length of pull and weight are the main issues with normal sized rifles hence the youth model. Recoil is very manageable and I reload so its easy to play around with different loads.
Old 01-24-2022, 01:57 PM

Hey thanks for that.
I shoot a 30.06

I was thinking 270 as I started as a boy with that albeit it was my dads gun and it was heavy lol.

He is tall and wiry. Just over 5ft at coming on 11. Like him. To spend the pre yr getting comfy with rifle and shooting. He does have nerves with recoil lol.
Never thought of changing stock.. I'll look into it.

Appreciate it all
Old 01-24-2022, 02:20 PM

I am helping a friend to get his 13 year old daughter started with a T-3x in 6.5CM. We are using 100gr bullets at around 2600fps to get her used to the rifle.
Old 01-25-2022, 08:35 AM

I’ve thought about this lots, though my kids are still only 6 and 5.

When the time comes for my boys to shoot CF, I will be going with 6.5cm. You mentioned that elk and moose might be mixed in, so I would angle toward the 7-08 and 308.

270 is a great cartridge, but I think that there are far better ones in terms of recoil than the 270.

I really like Tikka. Curious to see what more experienced members have to say about rifle make and model.
Old 01-28-2022, 11:29 AM

A 30-30 with 150 grain would be good for the smaller game and then load up to the 170 grain for moose. A Lever is always a good safe place for a youth to start shooting.

I was thinking the same thing for my kids, they are still a bit young but I started with a 30-30 and now I use a 30-06.
Old 01-28-2022, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodizaffa View Post
Well my boy is coming of age.. Curious what others have set there kids up with. Brand / model of rifle and which caliber.

I rifle hunt elk. Moose and deer. It would be great for him to pair with a gun he can grow with and have opportunities to hunt those types of hunts.

If there is posts on this. I apologize.. Send me links instead

Cheers
23 threads by simply putting "youth,gun" exactly like that with the quotes and coma in the search bar. There are a ton more, there is one of these threads at least every 3 or 4 weeks.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/searc...rchid=18585438

500 more threads by searching daughter

Showing results 1 to 25 of 500
Search took 0.55 seconds; generated 4 minute(s) ago. Search: Keyword(s): daughter ; Forum: Guns & Ammo Discussion and child forums

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/searc...rchid=18585444

Last edited by Dean2; 01-28-2022 at 01:20 PM.