Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-23-2022, 08:43 AM

Default Cleaning the 1885 falling block

Anyone tried using a Tipton rod with this gun…my bbl is 32” and for the time being I only shoot smokeless. Also, can/should a bore guide be used with this action? Final question: how often should I clean the bore if I’m only shooting smokeless?

Appreciate any feedback.
Old 01-23-2022, 08:58 AM

I use a standard delrin guide , but I don't yse a Tipton,I use 44" Dewey rods .
I once had a friend put an extension onto an older Parker Hale rod at the handle for me , it worked great.
No reason why a Tipton will not work .
Are you shooting cast or jacketed bullets?
Cat
Old 01-23-2022, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I use a standard delrin guide , but I don't yse a Tipton,I use 44" Dewey rods .
I once had a friend put an extension onto an older Parker Hale rod at the handle for me , it worked great.
No reason why a Tipton will not work .
Are you shooting cast or jacketed bullets?
Cat
Thanks appreciate the feedback. Right now I’m running Hornady 325gr Leverevolution just to get started and get sighted in. I’m really new to this as I’m sure you’ve surmised. Also, it was suggested to me to to drill out a cartridge to use as a bore guide so I’ll give that a try this week.

How often do I need to clean the bore if I’m just shooting smokeless?

Appreciate your feedback you seem to know your stuff.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:21 AM

A couple of things to remember if you are going to use a case as a bore guide.
Make sure the case makes contact with the end of the chamber, many 45/70 cases are pretty short and your 1885 havexa longer chamber.
The other us to make sure the hole is centered and the bored hoke is very smooth.
As far as cleaning goes, just clean right now with some G96 or other cleaner that will remove the powder fouling- I prefer Mercury Quicksilver Power Tune or Amzoil Foaming Engine Cleaner from a boat shop or Canadian Tire. After about 50 rounds run some Wipeout in it over night and that will give you an idea if you are building up too much copper in the bore .
A quick look at the muzzle may also tell you about how much copper is building up , but looks don't areas tell the whole story about what the rifles is actually doing as far as copper build up goes.
Cat
Old 01-23-2022, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
A couple of things to remember if you are going to use a case as a bore guide.
Make sure the case makes contact with the end of the chamber, many 45/70 cases are pretty short and your 1885 havexa longer chamber.
The other us to make sure the hole is centered and the bored hoke is very smooth.
As far as cleaning goes, just clean right now with some G96 or other cleaner that will remove the powder fouling- I prefer Mercury Quicksilver Power Tune or Amzoil Foaming Engine Cleaner from a boat shop or Canadian Tire. After about 50 rounds run some Wipeout in it over night and that will give you an idea if you are building up too much copper in the bore .
A quick look at the muzzle may also tell you about how much copper is building up , but looks don't areas tell the whole story about what the rifles is actually doing as far as copper build up goes.
Cat
Super thx