Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-08-2022, 07:44 PM

Default Proper tent care

I have an otter vortex hub tent (new this year) and am curious about how you guys maintain your tents - specifically with regard to mold prevention.

When I take the tent down, the windows are covered in frost or moisture depending on the temp. So far, I've just been taking the tent down as-is and storing it in my unheated garage. I assume that this isn't a problem because the moisture on the tent stays frozen.

I see a few days above +5C in the forecast and am wondering if I should set the tent up to dry it off. Is this reasonable?

What about when spring rolls around, do you guys typically air everything out then or do it on a trip by trip basis?

I'm greatful for any tips or advice that you guys might be willing to give.
Thanks,
Old 01-08-2022, 08:32 PM

I usually leave mine in its bag of its frozen and I know I will be going out again soon. If not I open it out and dry it in the basement orthe garage if the weather is warm enough. At the end of the season it aleays gets opened up and dried out. A good wipe down and put away nicely.

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2022, 08:55 PM

I open all my stuff to air out as soon as I get home, but I'm fortunate to have the heated space to do it. If you have the option to dry it out in the basement or somewhere heated, I would do it. Definitely do it in the Spring before it warms up. I'm not sure +5*C for a day will accomplish much.
Old 01-08-2022, 09:01 PM

Mine r kept in a unheated garage. I open the topic of the bag and pull it down a 1/3 so the tent can open up just a bit to breath. Never had any issues over the years. I open it up real good to dry once the season is over.
Old 01-08-2022, 10:04 PM

lubricant all the joints evry season, some tent you can open the hub and put lubricant inside. spray air freshener while drying it .
Old 01-08-2022, 11:07 PM

Bigger risk of not drying the tent between trips is that the frost on the inside of the tent when you fold it up freezes the tent material together and next time you try and open it you tear something.

Just the way it is. Even if you can just open it and set it up in a garage to put some heat source to dry it out it will last that much longer.

Drewski
Old 01-08-2022, 11:18 PM

every season i set mine up in my unfinished basement and wipe it down with a soapy rag, followed by just rinsing it with water.

Let it dry for a few days before packing it away in the spring. Havent had any mould issues or anything like that yet and it keeps the tent looking clean.
Old 01-09-2022, 08:34 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Stays frozen from start to finish for the most part, come spring it gets set up in the yard and let it completely dry out for a day then put it away until next season.

I broke another pole the other day so it came in the house, repaired and was kept downstairs until totally dry but for the most part it stays in the truck.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-09-2022, 01:16 PM

Thanks for all the info. At the very least, you've all put my mind at ease, with the exception of fabric freezing together... I'll keep an eye out for that. I think that the closing window flaps will help prevent this as long as the insulated walls are dry.
Old 01-09-2022, 02:15 PM

I'm lucky like AlbertaGP that I have a heated garage/shop this year. I have a fan. Back the truck in, open the tent, don't need to set it up all the way, and turn on the fan. Keeps it dry and no musty smell.

Prior to this, on very warm days I would set it up outside and let the sun do it's thing. Usually nice and dry by the next use. Maybe a bit of water in the tub but that is minor. I have a pull over style.
Old 01-09-2022, 05:40 PM

I usually set it up in my heated garage to let it dry after every use.
Old 01-10-2022, 02:42 PM

I unfortunately don't have a garage or any space big enough to dry it out each time, but every spring and fall it gets set up in the back yard and cleaned with disinfectant wipes, top to bottom. Mid-season, when we have chinooks like we're in now, I'll set it up in the back yard and air it out...