Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-18-2021, 04:49 PM
AO Sponsor

Default *Purchase done!!!* Left Hand Rifles... Need some guidance!

Hey all!

So first and foremost, I am an absolutely newbie when it comes to rifles. I mean I have shot many, used to hunt when I was a young'un, always with borrowed rifles, but I have never bought one other than a used old right handed .243 when I was a teenager because it was cheap and then moved to the city and gave it to my sister. I have not hunted in going on 30 years. I came here to AO for the fishing years back...

Well being a mod has made me spend a lot more time looking over the hunting and gun sections here and the urge to shoot is coming back, so I am starting to think about buying my first real rifle. I have no big lofty goals of crazy hunting excursions etc, but simply getting back into a bit of the typical hunting you see within normal accessibility around Alberta and BC, and have some fun trying to target shoot long at a range.

I do have one very large limiting factor as it seems looking on line there are a lot less options. Even though I am right handed by nature, I am blind in my right eye so since I was young I learned to shoot left handed and I want a lefty rifle as such.

Other than that, I am open to pretty much most things. I do not have a sky high custom build budget, but I also do not want something crummy. I realize I do not need things as nice as I probably want, but I am one of those people that will pay more for better assuming I am in my acceptable budget range. I see stuff online but when buying a rifle off the shelf, what add ons should be considered? A scope obviously but is there any other things I am not thinking about, and even with the basics, are there things to absolutely avoid?

Speaking of budget, is it reasonable to have an all in price idea under 2k? I mean I could go some more if it did make all the difference in the world, but if I can get 98% for 25% less I would be happy of course. Is there a price point where improvements are tiny versus extra expenditure? Is there a massive difference between a $600 rifle and a $1500 rifle? I am assuming there is but I just don't know enough to work it all out. I am not averse to buying used either if you do get a lot more for your money but the idea of new is kind of nice.

Any thoughts and guidance would be appreciated! Talk to me like I am a complete idiot please. It's okay. I really am a new baby when it comes to learning about this!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23

Last edited by tirebob; 12-20-2021 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12-18-2021, 05:02 PM

Bob, one question. Do you have a month or so to look for one or would you prefer one right away?

-Billy Molls
Old 12-18-2021, 05:05 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Bob, one question. Do you have a month or so to look for one or would you prefer one right away?
Totally beginning the process... If it is a month, 3 months etc I am good. I actually still need to get my PAL before I buy (I could get a friend to buy on my behalf for themselves if the right thing came along and then transfer it after the fact. I had an FAC in the past and my understanding is I should be able to apply for a PAL based on that but I have not found the right paperwork yet.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 12-18-2021, 05:07 PM

Dean2 has lots of nice lefties, I bet you'd get a mod discount from him on a beauty rig....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-18-2021, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Totally beginning the process... If it is a month, 3 months etc I am good. I actually still need to get my PAL before I buy (I could get a friend to buy on my behalf for themselves if the right thing came along and then transfer it after the fact. I had an FAC in the past and my understanding is I should be able to apply for a PAL based on that but I have not found the right paperwork yet.
If you have time, look at the used market. A LH Ruger 77/Hawkeye, or older Remington CDL or BDL would be a great start. Remingtons are very customizable as well.

If new, honestly, a stainless/synthetic Tikka would not be a bad way to go.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-18-2021, 05:09 PM

Tikka makes an excellent rifle (available in wrong handed) and you can be all in with a nice set up for a little more than $2000 with glass.

It's available in the 5 most common/popular cartridges as well.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/87857...t-action-rifle

and some nice glass ..

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/38463...z3-riflescopes

Last edited by EZM; 12-18-2021 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-18-2021, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Dean2 has lots of nice lefties, I bet you'd get a mod discount from him on a beauty rig....
Go straight for the jugular. Ask to buy his NULA 308.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-18-2021, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Go straight for the jugular. Ask to buy his NULA 308.
That was the exact rifle I was thinking too Chuck. With the scope. For $2K....

I also second looking for a good used unit, I like the old Remingtons, or a good Tikka T3.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-18-2021, 05:15 PM

A quality bolt action repeater from the many manufacturers are going to cost between $1200-2000.

Start with the bolt lift. Check out some common 3 lug designs such as sako or browning and see if you like the 60 degree lift.

Then check out some 2 lug designs such as Remington, Winchester which are 90 degree

Tikka is a 2 lug, but a 70 degree lift?

I like to start twitch bolt lift because of the clearance of the handle with the scope.

To me it matters. To others it doesn’t.
Old 12-18-2021, 05:19 PM

Here’s a photo.

Some rifles have shorter handles so the knob ends up being right in the scope and it can cause potential clearance issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2021, 05:25 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
Here’s a photo.

Some rifles have shorter handles so the knob ends up being right in the scope and it can cause potential clearance issues

Ahhhh That makes sense!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 12-18-2021, 05:33 PM

What chambering are you looking for Bob.

Thomas Sowell
Old 12-18-2021, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Bob is looking for a .308. Because I told him sternly....

I did tell him it's a really practical do it all short action round. Readily available ammo, with lots of variety. Shorter lighter rifle. Moderate to mild recoil. Kind of that perfect starter rifle.

Old 12-18-2021, 05:38 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
No pre-conceived notions... Want to consider it all really. If there are any serious positives or negatives in any direction, that is the stuff I need to know to start really narrowing it down.

I know growing up I always said I wanted a 30.06 but for no other reason than my friends dads that one that he would let me shoot was cool haha! Really, I am this uneducated...

And yes, TC is rapidly trying to edumicate me... lol
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 12-18-2021, 05:50 PM

Quote:
A quality bolt action repeater from the many manufacturers are going to cost between $1200-2000.

Start with the bolt lift. Check out some common 3 lug designs such as sako or browning and see if you like the 60 degree lift.

Then check out some 2 lug designs such as Remington, Winchester which are 90 degree

Tikka is a 2 lug, but a 70 degree lift?

I like to start twitch bolt lift because of the clearance of the handle with the scope.

To me it matters. To others it doesn’t.
You aren’t left handed are you? Lol.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-18-2021, 05:51 PM

Quote:
No pre-conceived notions... Want to consider it all really. If there are any serious positives or negatives in any direction, that is the stuff I need to know to start really narrowing it down.

I know growing up I always said I wanted a 30.06 but for no other reason than my friends dads that one that he would let me shoot was cool haha! Really, I am this uneducated...

I don’t mean to go over TC’s head here;but I don’t see how you can go wrong with a 30-06 if only for nostalgic reasons alone.

Sorry TC, please don’t put me on ignore. 😀
Old 12-18-2021, 05:51 PM

Quote:

TC is correct a 308 is a really great choice - and If it's a first gun and you are buying ammo (and not reloading) a 308, 270, 30-06, 7mm Rem Mag or 300 win mag would be on my list. Any one of those cartridges will be great for anything we hunt here in Alberta.

That's what I would be looking at if I were in your shoes.
Old 12-18-2021, 05:53 PM

Quote:
You aren’t left handed are you? Lol.

I don’t understand? Bolt handle clearance can be an issue that matters to some regardless of handiness?

I am right handed. But left eye dominate so I shoot left handed rifles so maybe I’m a bit of both

Old 12-18-2021, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
TC is correct a 308 is a really great choice - and If it's a first gun and you are buying ammo (and not reloading) a 308, 270, 30-06, 7mm Rem Mag or 300 win mag would be on my list. Any one of those cartridges will be great for anything we hunt here in Alberta.

That's what I would be looking at if I were in your shoes.
Don’t worry. He is looking for a LH rifle. Throw a 6.5 CM in there and those will be his choices. :-)

-Billy Molls
Old 12-18-2021, 05:55 PM

Quote:
I don’t understand? Bolt handle clearance can be an issue that matters to some regardless of handiness?

I am right handed. But left eye dominate so I shoot left handed rifles so maybe I’m a bit of both

You were just giving some pretty luxurious options for available LH rifles. :-)

-Billy Molls
Old 12-18-2021, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Don’t worry. He is looking for a LH rifle. Throw a 6.5 CM in there and those will be his choices. :-)
Why you trying to screw him up with CM? We don't need another one of those guys in the Creedmoor Clan printing heat seeking clover leafs at 300 yards on a moving target with a 40 mph wind.
Old 12-18-2021, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Why you trying to screw him up with CM? We don't need another one of those guys in the Creedmoor Clan printing heat seeking clover leafs at 300 yards on a moving target with a 40 mph wind.
What I’m saying EZM is that the chamberings you mentioned along with the 6.5 CM are really about all factories offer in LH rifles.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-18-2021, 06:10 PM

Quote:
You were just giving some pretty luxurious options for available LH rifles. :-)

Don’t get too excited, Winchester hasn’t made a left handed model 70 in years Bob. Chuck has managed to collect a few? over the years though.

Remington isn’t even around anymore either!

I started with an .30-06. I wish I had gone with a .308 for 90% of the performance and half the recoil.

Maybe check out the christienson Mesa as a higher quality factory option which would be similar to a Remington 700. They are upper level of factory rifles at $1500ish? And available in lh.

Old 12-18-2021, 06:14 PM

Quote:
What I’m saying EZM is that the chamberings you mentioned along with the 6.5 CM are really about all factories offer in LH rifles.
Ah - I see - ok makes sense - I was just poking fun at the CM Clan guys.

I haven't really looked (or had reason to look at lefty's) so you are probably right.

I am a big fan boy of the Weatherby Vanguard and Tikka T3's ate that price point, but the Vanguard's don't make lefties.

Both are overwhelmingly viewed as excellent rifles, accurate out of the box, decent triggers, etc....

The MOST IMPORTANT thing to me, however, is to shoulder it and see what fits you. The better it fits, the better it will perform.

I've had some rifles that were perfectly fine off a bench, but trying to get them positioned in a field shooting position and touch off a round with any accuracy was a challenge.

Again, I'm not a super gun expert, but been at it for most of my life and few decades has taught me a few lessons - this is one of them.
Old 12-18-2021, 06:15 PM
AO Sponsor

Don't make me Moderate my own thread boys! hahahahahaha!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 12-18-2021, 06:19 PM

A 6.5cm is also a great choice.

I see 6.5cm ammo along with the below choices in every Walmart and Canadian tire now.

6.5cm.
.303 British
.22-250
.30-06
.300 win mag.

That’s what I see as the most popular ammo choices at ct and Walmart.

Here is my left handed 6.5cm. I like the light recoil shooting 130-140gr bullets at 2800fps and I like the “theory” that the 6.5s penetrate deep.

Old 12-18-2021, 06:22 PM

Left handed guns that might fit your budget. Savage , Tikka, anything else guys.

Thomas Sowell
Old 12-18-2021, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
I don’t mean to go over TC’s head here;but I don’t see how you can go wrong with a 30-06 if only for nostalgic reasons alone.

Sorry TC, please don’t put me on ignore. 😀
You are safe. The -06 is a close second for me, but truly I just like a lighter shorter rifle for packing around.
Quote:
Before men started drinking White Claw and shooting Creedmore, there was no Covid. Coincidence?

Old 12-18-2021, 06:24 PM

For the price, the Tikka T-3x is a good choice, and as much as I am not a huge fanboy, the 6.5CM isn't a bad choice in cartridges.
Old 12-18-2021, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
For the price, the Tikka T-3x is a good choice, and as much as I am not a huge fanboy, the 6.5CM isn't a bad choice in cartridges.
Agree. Prophet River has 3 LH T3 Lites in stock. -06, 6.5 CM, and 7mm RM. All just over a grand. Any would be fine for the job.

But still waiting to hear from Dean2, if he is tired of that .308 Nula.....