Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-09-2021, 09:46 AM

Default Caribou Poaching

Buddy of mine just sent me this.

Earlier this summer, Alberta Fish and Wildlife Enforcement Services concluded a caribou poaching investigation near Wandering River.
On September 19, 2020, a Fish and Wildlife officer conducting hunter compliance checks in WMU 512 stopped a blue Ford F-150 for a check. A freshly killed caribou was found in the box of the truck. Caribou are an endangered species in Alberta, and there is no open season in the province. The individual claimed he thought the caribou was a moose and shot it. However, the officer found that the person did not possess a moose hunting licence either. The person then said he was shooting at what he thought was a moose, because he was going to have his recognized Métis Harvester friend claim the kill using his Métis Harvester rights. He also told the officer that he was in the process of going to deal with the caribou at a different location, in order to avoid being seen or caught with the animal.
The officer also learned that the individual with the caribou was hunting with three other people. The entire hunting party was going to shoot a moose so the person with the Metis Harvester rights could claim the kill. Only hunters with the proper licences can harvest an animal. The caribou was seized, and all four individuals involved were charged.
On August 16, 2021, all four appeared in court and pled guilty to Wildlife Act offences and were fined a total of $17,500 and their hunting licences were suspended for a combined 6 years.
Jules Contant was found guilty of hunting during a closed season, fined $10,000, and received a 3-year recreational hunting licence suspension.
Brent Plamondon was found guilty of hunting during a closed season, fined $2,500, and received a 1-year recreational hunting licence suspension.
Eric Contant was found guilty of hunting without a licence, fined $2,500, and received a 1-year recreational hunting licence suspension.
Gaetan Contant was found guilty of hunting without a licence, fined $2,500, and received a 1-year recreational hunting licence suspension.
It is our hope that these significant fines are a strong deterrent to any would-be poachers. Anyone with information about any wildlife or fishery violation is encouraged to call the 24-hour Report A Poacher line at 1-800-642-3800, or online at the following link: https://www.alberta.ca/report-poacher.aspx. Callers can remain anonymous and could qualify for a reward.
Old 12-09-2021, 09:51 AM

Should have been lifetime bans and way stiffer fines
Old 12-09-2021, 09:52 AM

So many issues there glad he was caught
Old 12-09-2021, 09:57 AM

Yeah, the whole works of 'em.
Those names BTW, are local to the area, not " city folks from Ft. McMurray" as was implied on another social media page.
Cat
Old 12-09-2021, 10:05 AM

It was a random stop to, just think about the amount of poachers that get away with it!
Old 12-09-2021, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragor764 View Post
It was a random stop to, just think about the amount of poachers that get away with it!
Yeah I would out money on that not being their first time pulling that stunt.
Cat
Old 12-09-2021, 12:06 PM

Should have been lifetime ban, confiscate truck, and weapons
Old 12-09-2021, 12:08 PM

4 scumbag poachers that didn't get away with it this time, guaranteed they'll still be doing it should be able to take their vehicles their guns everything lifetime ban on hunting and fishing

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2021, 12:33 PM

They should have charged the Métis buddy who clearly told them he would claim it as his. That guy should lose his harvesting rights.
Old 12-09-2021, 12:35 PM

What a joke. Lifetime bans is the only suitable consequence imo. So tired of hearing about these.
Old 12-09-2021, 12:49 PM

I waited 9 years for my bull moose tag, and didn't get one.
In the following months I would lament my lack of success, and I was amazed how many people said "we shoot our moose a couple months later. We have an Indian friend..."
I am about as far away from a reserve as you can get in this province. I can't imagine what it's like where the people with special hunting privileges don't have to be imported into the area.
Old 12-09-2021, 01:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
Should have been lifetime ban, confiscate truck, and weapons
Seizures and heavy fines are the way to go. No sure a lifetime ban would be a big deterrent. If they've poached once, they'll just poach again. They basically didn't have licenses this time by the sounds of it.
Old 12-09-2021, 01:17 PM

Wonder if they were using any firearms listed in the preening dipsh!t's list of banned (for 'white' folks only) guns?
Truck and guns should have been confiscated. Heavy fines, and hunting banned.
Old 12-09-2021, 01:22 PM

- What do you have there?
- A caribou.
- Are you aware that there is no open season for caribou in Alberta?
- Yes, but I thought it was a moose when I shot it.
- Can I see your moose license?
- I don’t have one.
- So why did you shoot this animal?
- I thought my buddy with a card would say he did it.

Crazy stuff. Surely should have been punished more. At least take away the hunting privileges for longer or life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfalls View Post
They should have charged the Métis buddy who clearly told them he would claim it as his. That guy should lose his harvesting rights.
The buddy would probably say he has no idea what the guy is talking about. I think it wouldn’t be easy to prove that he did.
Old 12-09-2021, 02:10 PM

The whole Metis hunting rights thing is pure bull****.

I work with a guy (really decent dude) who has a Scottish surname, as white as they come, but he claims Metis rights because of someone in his family tree who had sex with a so-called Metis generations ago.

And he uses the Metis 'rights' to the max...
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 12-09-2021, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Yeah, the whole works of 'em.
Those names BTW, are local to the area, not " city folks from Ft. McMurray" as was implied on another social media page.
Cat
Cat you are correct. I even played beer league hockey with one of those fellas.
Old 12-09-2021, 03:34 PM

it will only get worse
Old 12-09-2021, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonical View Post

I work with a guy (really decent dude) who has a Scottish surname, as white as they come, but he claims Metis rights because of someone in his family tree who had sex with a so-called Metis generations ago.

For Sure !!
I have some of my extended family that showed only 4 percent native blood and still applied , and recieved , their Card. Its nothing but a Very Bad Joke.. to us, and even to them, but they still use it to the max ( if there was one).

I ,for one, don't understand the stupid reasoning behind this whole Metis S...show.
Somehow, it has to stop.
Old 12-09-2021, 04:19 PM

So what really dose a 3 year or for that matter a lifetime ban from purchasing a recreational hunting license mean to a poacher, he was hunting without a license and shot an animal that is on the protected list, and he darn well knew it was a caribou.

Maybe impound and sell his truck and gun, increase the fine to $25,000 or 3 years in jail in leu, maybe just maybe he would get the message as would his buddies.

This is like banning certain guns and thinking it will stop the gangs from using them, do you think the criminals will care if it's legal or banned, seriously.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 12-09-2021, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
- What do you have there?
- A caribou.
- Are you aware that there is no open season for caribou in Alberta?
- Yes, but I thought it was a moose when I shot it.
- Can I see your moose license?
- I don’t have one.
- So why did you shoot this animal?
- I thought my buddy with a card would say he did it.
Bahahahaha! That pretty well sums it up. The gene pool is pretty shallow with that knuckle draggin’ group. “Hi, my names Larry, this my brother Daryl and my other brother Daryl”. I bet their families are so proud of them…
Old 12-09-2021, 04:36 PM

Quote:

Yup, I work with a couple too.
Funny thing is that all the animals they've harvested for food the last two years have above average bone on their heads....
Old 12-09-2021, 05:02 PM

Quote:

Wildlife conservation will never work with two sets of rules. There is no way around that.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 12-09-2021, 05:43 PM

I think heavy fines hurts more

Banning from hunting does nothing

When people lose "stuff", they tend to either learn from it or take on another illegal act to regain what they lost.....

Likely these scum will come up with another way to make up for the $ they lost.....and likely it wont be legal
Old 12-09-2021, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
For Sure !!
I have some of my extended family that showed only 4 percent native blood and still applied , and recieved , their Card. Its nothing but a Very Bad Joke.. to us, and even to them, but they still use it to the max ( if there was one).

I ,for one, don't understand the stupid reasoning behind this whole Metis S...show.
Somehow, it has to stop.

It's only get worse. Metis are pushing for the same rights the aboriginals have, province wide. Right now they have specific zones to hunt but we all know the weak kneed politicians will give them everything they want eventually.

This thing should be cut and dry. If any of them don't live on a reserve or settlement and sustenance hunt..No special rights. If you live outside either of those you buy tags, enter draws, hunt during designated species seasons, are limited to one of whichever, and complete harvest reports. End of story.

Indigenous hunting rights are a joke. Metis hunting rights are ridiculous.
Old 12-09-2021, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Wildlife conservation will never work with two sets of rules. There is no way around that.

Grizz
That there is what it's all about!

Unfortunately, it will never happen...

Caribou will still get shot, pregnant moose cows will still get shot in the spring/summer, and of course "trophy" hunting will still go on. (Suffield).

Politicians will never talk about it as it would be "political suicide"...

I really feel these issues should be discussed within the "Native/Metis" local governments to ensure future "sustenance" is really addressed. Maybe some do already, and if so, good on you!

Many are saying they want their "own" policies and independent "policing". Well step up to the plate!

My opinion...
Old 12-09-2021, 06:43 PM

Banning a poacher for wildlife infractions is about as useful as banning a member on AO for being a sh!t disturber. They won’t even take the weekend off before they are right back at it.

Either fine them so heavy they can’t even scrounge up enough gas money to get down the end of the street or cut off their trigger finger if they can’t pay the fine.

Most all poaching would come to an end real fast…
Old 12-09-2021, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post

Politicians will never talk about it as it would be "political suicide"...

My opinion...

And the big question is...why? I'd vote 100% for one that would broach the issue.
Old 12-09-2021, 07:12 PM

You shot an animal illegally?
Well, now if you do it again it will be extra illegal.
And the next time we'll make it double extra illegal.
And don't even think about doing it again after that, because then it would be double extra super illegal.
Old 12-10-2021, 09:23 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
You shot an animal illegally?
Well, now if you do it again it will be extra illegal.
And the next time we'll make it double extra illegal.
And don't even think about doing it again after that, because then it would be double extra super illegal.
That's about the size of it.

It's what happened when a local outfitter here got caught.

During the trial they caught him doing it again, and three more times after he was convicted, and that, after they took everything he owned, which wasn't much because on paper he sold everything he owned, to his wife, for a dollar, who sold it all to a friend, for a dollar, who sold it back to him and around and around she goes.

Even jail time doesn't do much other then keep them out of the bush for a while.

What do you think that blue pickup was worth? $500.00, a 1,000. I bet it wasn't over that.

Laws keep honest people honest, they do nothing to deter crime. Never have and never will.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-10-2021, 09:56 AM

It has been almost 40 years since two morons had two caribou hanging in their camp at Pelican Spruce Mills, along highway 63. Someone came along, and told them what they had, so they cut them down, dragged them behind their camp and hid them. A short time later F&W showed up, followed the drag marks, and found the caribou. I didn't think that anyone else was that stupid.