Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-23-2022, 03:16 PM

Default 1921 first year production trombone

Some of you will recall the old square tang trombone I found in 2020 and the interesting long journey it took to a new stock before leo stepped up to fix fit and finish enabling me to send it to best engraving reblue outfit in canada in Quebec. Christian is under contract to browning for warrenty repairs so his turn around time has increased from 7 months to 1 year along with covid shutdowns. Got it back fully functional last friday

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2022, 03:23 PM

Pictures didn't load on original post?

Old 01-23-2022, 10:15 PM

My brother had on when I was a kid, loved it but it was hard on ammo, to easy to hold the trigger and dump a tube (or 5 ) of shells just for S A G's.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 01-24-2022, 12:01 PM

Default Trombone

Looks good, Rob.
Were you tempted to get some engraving?
Will try to drop by when I'm in your area---few weeks away, I'm guessing.
Old 01-24-2022, 01:01 PM

Looks good & functional also. Well done!
Old 01-24-2022, 01:05 PM

Default I have some engraved ones Bill

but because this one was first year I decided to just restore it as close to stock as possible. Replacement stocks from Irv now come with prefitted plastic butt plate but I had old metal one reblued and it will be installed instead of plastic. I still have 3 from the 30's to 50's to go to Christian when he is not so backlogged next summer and I expect the 50's model will be engraved along the lines of a coin finish semi auto grade 3.
Price of engraving is similar whether grade 2 or grade 3 ($3000) and I think for both I need custom skip line checkered wood by Dennis in ft st john to complement the engraving aspect. The replacement stocks I have are not sufficient for engraved pieces so Brian will get me some fancy walnut next time he sees some nice blanks in USA.
Old 01-24-2022, 02:36 PM

Engraved and checkered pieces are nice but not suitable for 1921 model in my opinion. Here is a grade 2 1960 model

Old 01-24-2022, 02:42 PM

Looks great!...a guy on CGN was advertising a couple grade 2 belgium sa22 for sale last week,however he said engraved in italy which made me sceptical...
Old 01-24-2022, 04:48 PM

I suppose a browning leige engraver could have moved to italy but more likely some one found a grade 1 and tried to make it look like an original grade 3. Several American engravers have tried to pass their work off as original leige brownings

Old 01-24-2022, 07:13 PM

Hey WW, could I poach on your thread a touch as you seem to be in the know on these things? I have a Trombone that was left to me by my Grandfather. Serial number 115xx. I’m assuming this one is quite old and I’d love to pick your brain over restoring it. I’ve pondered it for awhile now but your thread has inspired me. This needs to be done.
Old 01-24-2022, 07:53 PM

Oldest ones from pre 1939 have square tang behind trigger guard. Round on more modern to current models. New wood plain is available from irv at wgp starts at 250. Custom walnut is 500 +. Proper bluing takes everything down bare metal with buffing. Any pitting left will come back out so do it once and do it right. Don't spend any money until you know the rifling in barrel is at least good. They can be rerifled with insert but usually not worth expense. Complete assembly, bluing and reassembly runs $300 plus shipping both ways. Custom wood needs fit and finish including checkering if you wish but with good donor rifle you are usually in ball park of $7-800 for restore

Old 01-24-2022, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
Oldest ones from pre 1939 have square tang behind trigger guard. Round on more modern to current models. New wood plain is available from irv at wgp starts at 250. Custom walnut is 500 +. Proper bluing takes everything down bare metal with buffing. Any pitting left will come back out so do it once and do it right. Don't spend any money until you know the rifling in barrel is at least good. They can be rerifled with insert but usually not worth expense. Complete assembly, bluing and reassembly runs $300 plus shipping both ways. Custom wood needs fit and finish including checkering if you wish but with good donor rifle you are usually in ball park of $7-800 for restore

Thank you much my good man. Appreciate it. This one does have the square tang. Ram the bore scope and the bore looks good on the whole. Couple tiny rust spots up at the crown but other than that, no blemishes. I think it might be worthy of some dollars. Thank you again.
Old 01-25-2022, 02:48 PM

Default Trombone

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
but because this one was first year I decided to just restore it as close to stock as possible. Replacement stocks from Irv now come with prefitted plastic butt plate but I had old metal one reblued and it will be installed instead of plastic. I still have 3 from the 30's to 50's to go to Christian when he is not so backlogged next summer and I expect the 50's model will be engraved along the lines of a coin finish semi auto grade 3.
Price of engraving is similar whether grade 2 or grade 3 ($3000) and I think for both I need custom skip line checkered wood by Dennis in ft st john to complement the engraving aspect. The replacement stocks I have are not sufficient for engraved pieces so Brian will get me some fancy walnut next time he sees some nice blanks in USA.
Did you give thought to getting Christian to do the re-stocking for you. Then, all work would be done in one place. Perhaps save some time and shipping costs?
Old 01-25-2022, 03:11 PM

Default that is a possiblity

Brian is sourcing dynamite wood for several Canadian gun smiths so what I want may be in Canada by the time I send these away. chiristian had a very expensive select of only French walnut a few years ago the last time I was looking. He will have lots from the USA in a short time. That said Dennis is very accomplished and reasonable all he lacks is an inventory/great source of fancy blanks, so we have been supplying our own wood in the past.