Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-24-2022, 06:58 PM

Default recoil reducer v.s. weighted stock

Anyone have experience with recoil reducers in hunting rifles?
I recently had some work done to an old .358 norma, and one of the jobs, while changing out the previous Bubba's ill-fitted recoil pad, was shortening the stock before installing a new pad. Once the old pad was off, you could see that one of the previous owners had drilled out large pieces of the stock. Not sure if this was to lighten up the gun, but in reality, it just helped contribute to a very "barrel heavy" balance that was quite awkward to mount. This was especially pronounced when the extra length was removed and the old squishy foam recoil pad got removed.
The gunsmith I was using still has a supply of mercury recoil reducers and I was curious about their worth, but the tube would have required a bit more enlargening of the stock-bolt hole, and after bubba was done drilling it out the last time, some of the stock areas didn't have enough meat left to them to make me feel comfortable messing with it more.
What I did do to assist with the balance of the gun, was to add a couple thousand grains of lead shot (just poured and crimped into two empty 20 gauge hulls). The weighted hulls fit into Bubba's hack-job beautiful and would go in flush enough that they did not interfere with the new pad, sealing off the whole job. The difference to the balance was amazing! That, in addition to the new brake (dirty word for some, I know!) made shooting this previous beast a ***** cat! It shoots softer than any of my 30-06 rifles.
I am curious if anyone has ever experimented with both recoil reducer and simple weighted stocks. Do you think the weighted stock in itself would be enough on its own to tame recoil? I would honestly say that the weighted hulls I used, and the mercury tube had about equal weight.
How much of the recoil taming in a mercury tube is the weight, and how much is the actual mercury?
Old 01-24-2022, 07:04 PM
Banned

https://www.longrangehunting.com/thr...ducers.154517/
Old 01-24-2022, 07:05 PM
Banned

Sounds like the reduction is from the weight. Regardless if it’s solid or mercury

Which brake did you go with?
Old 01-24-2022, 07:06 PM

Old Badger bought a Brno once in 416 Rigby, it had a Dead Mule recoil reducer in it.
I still have it the Dead Mule not the 416!
Cat
Old 01-24-2022, 07:16 PM

I used to deal with recoil reducers a lot at one time . I have come to believe that the weight is as much the working factory as anything . There may be some merit to the ones that have lead and a spring system. They may lengthen out the recoil pulse so it doesn’t seem as sharp ( similar to a semi auto ) . But more of the factor is still the weight they add . The handy part is that they are relatively easy to install and deal with .
Old 01-24-2022, 07:24 PM

One issue I found with filling things with lead is they eventually get pounded out of things such as your 20 ga hulls. In your rifle that not to much of an issue but if it is in a shotgun with a stock bolt the lead gets wedged in between the stock and bolt and can be a bitch to clean out . This is where recoil reducers shine . That’s also why they are threaded so they can be pulled out .
Old 01-25-2022, 10:23 AM

Default brand name of brake

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Sounds like the reduction is from the weight. Regardless if it’s solid or mercury

Which brake did you go with?
Unsure of the name. First time for me ( which is pretty good considering I struggle to keep my inventory in the double digits, which includes numerous big bores in the .400 plus cal)I just went with what the smith had available. I know he gets them direct from the manufacturer, and they were trying to get him to be the local distributer.
I have a pic I can send if you're up for it, and then you can maybe figure it out. Never mastered the pic posting.
One thing I will add; the difference after all these alterations make the gun so pleasant to shoot, I may just risk the fury of some of the regulars at the shooting range and try it out on a few more!
Old 01-26-2022, 01:46 PM

I’ve got a 338 Imperial Magnum (almost identical to the RUM), and it came with a brake on it. A really loud brake. Took the brake off and hollowed out the stock and put a few lb of lead shot in it. Mixed the lead in pourable epoxy and poured it in. Then it was stock heavy. So I did the same to the fore end. And it’s as tame now as my 270. But weighs considerably more. A joy to shoot.
Old 01-26-2022, 03:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvaark View Post
I’ve got a 338 Imperial Magnum (almost identical to the RUM), and it came with a brake on it. A really loud brake. Took the brake off and hollowed out the stock and put a few lb of lead shot in it. Mixed the lead in pourable epoxy and poured it in. Then it was stock heavy. So I did the same to the fore end. And it’s as tame now as my 270. But weighs considerably more. A joy to shoot.
Muzzle brakes have come a long way from the old radial design
Newer dumesigbs direct a lot of the blast away from you
They are better a reducing recoil, reducing muzzle jump and they aren’t as hard on your ears. It may rattle the walls at the gun range but they aren’t bad in the field
Old 01-26-2022, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Muzzle brakes have come a long way from the old radial design
Newer dumesigbs direct a lot of the blast away from you
They are better a reducing recoil, reducing muzzle jump and they aren’t as hard on your ears. It may rattle the walls at the gun range but they aren’t bad in the field
Where can I find info on these brakes,sounds interesting.
Old 01-26-2022, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Where can I find info on these brakes,sounds interesting.
I'm a huge fan of the brake from Alberta Tactical Rifle.

https://www.albertatacticalrifle.com...ke-flash-hider

They make custom one like those shown.
Old 01-26-2022, 06:40 PM
Banned

Personally I like the heathen brakes from insite arms in lloydminster
They are self timing, and the direction of the baffles, deflect the blast away from you. I’ve shot mine without hearing protection in a hurry while hunting and it was no worse than an unbraked rifle to me. Obviously it’s not recommended but when things happen fast, that’s important. I had a 300 wby with a shrewd style brake and my ears rang for months after shooting at a whitetail in a hurry. Never again!
A perk too with the heathen is it pairs up with their barrel tuner also.

https://rifletalk.org/2017/08/14/muz...hen-vs-others/
Old 01-27-2022, 04:34 AM

I put a mercury suppressor and Pachmeyer pad on a 7 RUM that was REALLY nasty to shoot. I have much bigger bore guns than that Rum but none were near as unpleasant to shoot. About ten rounds would give you a headache, and I never normally get headaches. The mercury suppressor made a large difference. Turned the recoil pulse into more of a shove than the REALLY sharp punch it was originally. I think the weight is part of it but I am pretty convinced the movement of the weight also has an effect.

We also used to use them in our skeet guns. When you are firing 100-250 rounds a day of 12 gauge, they made a noticeable difference.
Old 01-27-2022, 01:49 PM

My buddy has a 338 rum with mercury suppressor. I don’t find it bad shooting 300gr Berger’s.
Old 01-27-2022, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Personally I like the heathen brakes from insite arms in lloydminster
They are self timing, and the direction of the baffles, deflect the blast away from you. I’ve shot mine without hearing protection in a hurry while hunting and it was no worse than an unbraked rifle to me. Obviously it’s not recommended but when things happen fast, that’s important. I had a 300 wby with a shrewd style brake and my ears rang for months after shooting at a whitetail in a hurry. Never again!
A perk too with the heathen is it pairs up with their barrel tuner also.

https://rifletalk.org/2017/08/14/muz...hen-vs-others/
Thanks for the info,going to get one for my 300 Weatherby.
Old 01-27-2022, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Thanks for the info,going to get one for my 300 Weatherby.
K and S is building me a lh 338-378. I think I might just order one of these to try on it since the barrel will be threaded anyhow. Alberta Tacticle built me a brake for a 460 Bee that I no longer have. It was great at reducing the recoil but it was pretty loud. It was designed on their 50 bmg brakes design.
Old 01-27-2022, 04:13 PM
Banned

If anyone Is a member at chas and you want to try one first
Shoot me a pm song I’ll try and meet you there
Old 01-27-2022, 05:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
If anyone Is a member at chas and you want to try one first
Shoot me a pm song I’ll try and meet you there
And not song
Old 01-28-2022, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Alberta Tacticle built me a brake for a 460 Bee that I no longer have. It was great at reducing the recoil but it was pretty loud.
What is a 460 Bee?
Old 01-28-2022, 05:13 PM

^ Probably something that bites, lol:

https://weatherby.com/store/460-weatherby-magnum/
Old 01-28-2022, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
What is a 460 Bee?
460 Weathervy magnum, most powerful commercially produced shoulder fired dangerous game cartridge. Unfortunately, even though it is a bolt action rifle that only holds 4 rounds and has a 28 inch barrel, the idiot Liberals caught it in their stupid OIC because it exceeds to power limit by a 200 ft lbs.
Old 01-31-2022, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
460 Weathervy magnum, most powerful commercially produced shoulder fired dangerous game cartridge. Unfortunately, even though it is a bolt action rifle that only holds 4 rounds and has a 28 inch barrel, the idiot Liberals caught it in their stupid OIC because it exceeds to power limit by a 200 ft lbs.
Thanks Dean, I wasn't aware of the nickname and I thought it was a wildcat.
Perhaps neck it down to something not listed

I just talked to my Dad about this, he is freaking out as every time he opens his safe there's more evil guns that can't be used
Old 01-31-2022, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
Thanks Dean, I wasn't aware of the nickname and I thought it was a wildcat.
Perhaps neck it down to something not listed

I just talked to my Dad about this, he is freaking out as every time he opens his safe there's more evil guns that can't be used
Don't have it. Luckily it was gone before the OIC hit. Don't even get me started on what I think of the Liberals in general or their completely backwards and useless attempt to control crime. Reduce sentences for gang members importing and possessing illegal guns while going after those of us who pose zero threat. Idiots to the nth degree.
Old 02-02-2022, 07:53 AM

Default My two cents

Years ago I toyed with the idea of a mercury reducer. However, was not fond of the "sloshing" in the stock. Muzzle breaks are too loud - i do agree muzzle breaks are an effective way to tame recoil if you can tolerate the noise and concussion of the blast.

The solution i found was to add a German balance bar, make sure the rifle is well balanced and building recoil tolerance through more shooting practice.

The first balance bar I had installed was on a 458 Lott to get the weight up to 9lb and to get proper balance.

PRB
Old 02-02-2022, 11:20 AM

There are also the mechanical style recoil pads which absorb recoil through a series of gears and springs or gas shocks. The biggest issue with these in my mind is that you need to permanently alter your rifle stock.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 02-02-2022, 06:38 PM

I have a Counter Coil unit on a 300 wby . It is a hydraulic recoil reducer , like a shock absorber .