Old 01-21-2022, 05:07 PM

Default Best value in a range finder

Warranty matters. Thoughts?

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-21-2022, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Warranty matters.

Warranty don't matter if you buy quality equipment.

Thoughts?
I think I'll have a drink.
Old 01-21-2022, 05:19 PM

https://youtu.be/VSabGFtXAvw Video is 2 years old now.

I had a Vortex Ranger 1000 die on me. It just started acting weird... wouldn’t turn on, would turn on, sometimes would range, sometimes wouldn’t. I contacted them, mailed it in, and received a new Ranger 1800. So I’ll give them props on warranty.
Before it died, my dad’s Leupold would range further than my Vortex.
Old 01-21-2022, 05:45 PM

Check the specs.All of themfrom$1500.00 to $100 AMAZON SPECIAL. All claim +-1yd
Old 01-21-2022, 06:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Warranty matters. Thoughts?
Leica...and you don't need to worry about warranty.
Old 01-21-2022, 08:04 PM

L. E. I. C. A

I spent a lot of time researching which range finder to buy . That was a bunch of years ago and I did purchase one . I liked so much I purchased another one as a gift for my son . Those are old enough as they are the model 1000 .Still going strong and the clarity of the unit is very good , often find myself using it as a monocular .
Good luck on your quest .
Old 01-21-2022, 08:12 PM

Leica
Old 01-21-2022, 08:13 PM

Back in 2010 I was on a antelope hunt by onefour. Came across a good buck. I pulled out my Bushnell yardage pro and tried to range the goat. It would just read —- after guessing it was a 500 yard shot I did get the goat. When I got home I through the Bushnells in the garbage and bought a set of Leicas. The Leicas worked great and I had no problems ranging out further than I would ever shoot. This fall I sold the Leica range finder only to buy Leica Geovids. For a range finder it’s tough to find anything better than the Leicas for the money.
Old 01-21-2022, 08:23 PM

Bought first Leica about 16ish years ago. Think 1200? Anyways, worked great for a quite a few years but slowly started to lose distance it would range at. Sent it in to be repaired in New Jersey I believe. They couldn't fix it so sent me a new 1600 (think it's a 1600) free of charge. Ranges an incredible distance even on objects like spruce trees.
Yeah the warranty sounds like vortex or leupold, but are they as good? Not sure.
Old 01-21-2022, 09:24 PM

For what its worth.
15 years ago $800 fora Leica was a lot of money for me.
Now that's $53/year with zero problems and exceptional service.
Probably many years of service still in it.
Old 01-21-2022, 09:27 PM

LEICAS are really good and I'm not sure but I think the warranty on electronics is usually only a year?
Old 01-21-2022, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk09 View Post
LEICAS are really good and I'm not sure but I think the warranty on electronics is usually only a year?
12ish years for me and it was a replacement to an upgraded model free of charge
Old 01-21-2022, 09:37 PM

Good to know.
Old 01-21-2022, 10:55 PM

Ive been looking for a while now, Im quite sold on the Maven rangefinder. For the price nothing compares. It just went up to 450 usd.
Reviews show hits on elk at 4700y and 100% on animals in any condition under 1000y.
https://www.rokslide.com/maven-rf-1-rangefinder-review/
Ive found on some of the euro stuff the glass was great but the rangefinder left me a little underwhelmed. Especially for the price.
Brad
Old 01-21-2022, 11:14 PM

I bought a used Leica LRF800 back in about 2007 or 08 for $250 if memory serves. Hasn’t let me down yet, not once. Prior to that I owned bushnell and Nikon and they were junk in comparison. If I was on a budget I would buy a used Leica and never look back.
Old 01-21-2022, 11:24 PM

I've had two Leica rangefinders over the years. A 1000 and then a 1600 model. Sold them both here on AO. I was really happy with the Leica's.
Old 01-22-2022, 08:07 AM

Have had the LEICA 1000 for many years. I use them as a monocular Vs bino's when in a stand or ground blind and the shot is 100 yd or less...light and easy to pack around.
The old 1000's are working like the day i bought them. Like them because i want a distance...that's it. Not a bunch of menus with other stuff.
Old 01-22-2022, 08:57 AM

Most companies don't warranty electronics, Range Finders, for more than a certain amount of time, 1 yr I think. Vortex may be the only one that has a lifetime warranty.

I had a Leupold for years, the illuminated display faded out on one side. Korth Group offered me any current range finder at their cost or below, cant remember. So for about $300 I got a $900 range finder.

I currently have a Leica 2800.com and really like it.

I would look at magnification and objective size because it makes a difference depending on your intentions with it, bow vs rifle. 7 power at 50 yards you have a very narrow field of view.
Old 01-22-2022, 09:13 AM

Have owned or tried most of the higher end range finders. They were all as much or even more than Leica. I run Leica, as do every one of my hunting partners, after they all tried to go the budget route at least once, some two or three times. The higher end gear gives you great glass and great ranging, budget gear gives you ranging that is okay in most conditions but usually pretty crappy glass. I can use the Leica as a mini n monocular until it gets nearly too dark to shoot. You won't do that with a Vortex.
Old 01-23-2022, 08:56 AM

leica for all the above reasons
Old 01-23-2022, 11:12 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Have owned or tried most of the higher end range finders. They were all as much or even more than Leica. I run Leica, as do every one of my hunting partners, after they all tried to go the budget route at least once, some two or three times. The higher end gear gives you great glass and great ranging, budget gear gives you ranging that is okay in most conditions but usually pretty crappy glass. I can use the Leica as a mini n monocular until it gets nearly too dark to shoot. You won't do that with a Vortex.
I was actually just considering such things myself for the future. Does a guy really need, bino's, spotting scopes and a range finder all around or is there an acceptable "jack of all trades"? This is not to be cheap but more to be lazy and not have to have tons of gear for no reason...

Sorry to the OP for the slight derail...
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 01-23-2022, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
I was actually just considering such things myself for the future. Does a guy really need, bino's, spotting scopes and a range finder all around or is there an acceptable "jack of all trades"? This is not to be cheap but more to be lazy and not have to have tons of gear for no reason...

A combination binoculars/rangefinder reduces your needs by one. If you want to judge game at long range, or to make out bullet holes at longer range, a spotting scope is worthwhile.
Old 01-23-2022, 11:27 AM

Leica! Read the reviews, process the info, then spend once/cry once.

Incredibly reliable, very consistent, and not likely to be any warranty issues.
Old 01-23-2022, 11:30 AM

Quote:

Leica CRF fits in your shirt pocket. For 90% of the use I would use a Bino, this works fine. Only issue is right at early dawn or later after sunset. The 7x24 doesn't transmit as much light as an 8x42 Leica does. That said, once I use the CRF to confirm it is a game animal, my Swaro Rifle scope has excellent low light performance. I can count points with it well past legal shooting times.

Also, I am heavily left eye dominant, if I close my right eye when looking through Binos, the view doesn't change at all. When I had Geovids, I actually had to close my left eye in order to see the yardage read out that only shows up in the right eye piece. I got rid of the Geovids for exactly that reason. If everyone tried the close one eye test with their dominant eye well over 60% would find the same thing. The non-dominant eye adds nothing to the equation. Means you are carrying that whole second barrel on the Binos for no good reason. A spotting scope is actually a far better design for most people for long use glassing. My Binos stay in the truck, I pack the CRF for most hunting and if I am searching for game I take a spotting scope. Far easier on the eyes.
Old 01-23-2022, 12:10 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Leica CRF fits in your shirt pocket. For 90% of the use I would use a Bino, this works fine. Only issue is right at early dawn or later after sunset. The 7x24 doesn't transmit as much light as an 8x42 Leica does. That said, once I use the CRF to confirm it is a game animal, my Swaro Rifle scope has excellent low light performance. I can count points with it well past legal shooting times.

Also, I am heavily left eye dominant, if I close my right eye when looking through Binos, the view doesn't change at all. When I had Geovids, I actually had to close my left eye in order to see the yardage read out that only shows up in the right eye piece. I got rid of the Geovids for exactly that reason. If everyone tried the close one eye test with their dominant eye well over 60% would find the same thing. The non-dominant eye adds nothing to the equation. Means you are carrying that whole second barrel on the Binos for no good reason. A spotting scope is actually a far better design for most people for long use glassing. My Binos stay in the truck, I pack the CRF for most hunting and if I am searching for game I take a spotting scope. Far easier on the eyes.
Okay... So me being virtually blind in my right eye (I have peripheral vision but no straight ahead vision) a monocular type set up may be the way to go?
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 01-23-2022, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Okay... So me being virtually blind in my right eye (I have peripheral vision but no straight ahead vision) a monocular type set up may be the way to go?
Yes the monocular would definitely be the right choice, especially if you put a high end scope on the rifle. That combo along with a spotting scope wil cover you really well..
Old 01-23-2022, 12:29 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Yes the monocular would definitely be the right choice, especially if you put a high end scope on the rifle. That combo along with a spotting scope wil cover you really well..
I just recently picked up a Zeiss Conquest Z4 4-16 x 44 from a member here. Not crazy high end but I think it is decent. I am going to start keeping my eyes peeled for when deals come up over the next while. I just want to know what it is I am looking for so I don't have to spend money twice for no reason lol.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 01-23-2022, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I just recently picked up a Zeiss Conquest Z4 4-16 x 44 from a member here. Not crazy high end but I think it is decent. I am going to start keeping my eyes peeled for when deals come up over the next while. I just want to know what it is I am looking for so I don't have to spend money twice for no reason lol.
That Zeiss scope will work just fine for seeing in low light during any time that you can legally shoot. Zeiss has a higher end model like Diavari that was subsequently replaced by the Victory but the Conquest is excellent glass and very good light gathering. It is their next to top tier scope. I have a couple of the conquest in 6x24, they work stellar in low light.
Old 01-23-2022, 02:09 PM

Quote:

No need to get any more equipment
just get a better shooting partner 😝
Old 01-23-2022, 02:27 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post
No need to get any more equipment
just get a better shooting partner 😝
Haha! I like how you think!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca