Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-20-2022, 11:56 PM

Default ISO certain Ammo’s during shortage

Hey All,

Just looking for some other input or some insider info.

Just ordered a new rifle and I’m struggling to source some ammo for it. I was hoping to shoot Nosler Trophy Grade 180gr Accubond in 300WSM. Struggling to find any 300WSM. Anyone know how to get it out of the states or have any sitting around they would be willing to part with? I have about 4-7 weeks till the rifle shows up. Just hoping to source 100-150 rounds. So far I haven’t heard back from the few places that said they would talk to there suppliers about when it could be arriving. So just looking for some ideas.

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2022, 06:05 AM

you may have trouble with a specific bullet weight or style, Sylvester's has what you are looking for.

https://shop.sylvestresportinggoods....sm-180-grains/

Prophet river has a couple different brands of 300 WSM.

https://store.prophetriver.com/remin...co-20ct-29345/

If you ordered a new rifle it may not like 180gr accubonds, you may want a variety to start with to see what it shoots best.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-21-2022, 01:52 PM

Sweet, thank you for the information! Periphery River was one of the companies that never got back to me on a timeline on when they would be able to get it for me. I asked them first as that’s who ordered the gun for me. The gun I’ve ordered came with 3 recommendations for best factory ammunition to shoot with the gun:
1. Barnes VOR-TX 150 grain TTSX
2. Nosler Throphy Grade 180 Grain Accubond
3. Hornady Precision Hunter 200 Grain ELDX

Upon reviewing the ballistics of all three they were all shot out of a 24 inch barrel with a 1/10 twist (which is what the gun I’ve purchased has).
Old 01-21-2022, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VXBolt92 View Post
Sweet, thank you for the information! Periphery River was one of the companies that never got back to me on a timeline on when they would be able to get it for me. I asked them first as that’s who ordered the gun for me. The gun I’ve ordered came with 3 recommendations for best factory ammunition to shoot with the gun:
1. Barnes VOR-TX 150 grain TTSX
2. Nosler Throphy Grade 180 Grain Accubond
3. Hornady Precision Hunter 200 Grain ELDX

Upon reviewing the ballistics of all three they were all shot out of a 24 inch barrel with a 1/10 twist (which is what the gun I’ve purchased has).
The fact that your rifle has a 1 in 10" rate of twist and a 24" barrel, doesn't mean a lot as to which loads will shoot well in it. Two hunting partners bought rifles of the exact same make/model that preferred different loads.
Old 01-21-2022, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
you may have trouble with a specific bullet weight or style, Sylvester's has what you are looking for.

If you ordered a new rifle it may not like 180gr accubonds, you may want a variety to start with to see what it shoots best.
Yikes 110$/box........crazy when a run of the mill mag cartridge is so expensive an average guy cant afford to practice with it.....

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2022, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The fact that your rifle has a 1 in 10" rate of twist and a 24" barrel, doesn't mean a lot as to which loads will shoot well in it. Two hunting partners bought rifles of the exact same make/model that preferred different loads.

Sorry guess I didn’t elaborate well enough. I’m aware that just because the specs of the test rifle are identical to mine the load may or may not shoot well. Based upon ballistics I wasn’t a fan of the Barnes. I also have found something a little heavy seems to compliment the rifles I own and my shooting style. I didn’t want to commit to a 200 grain or the expansion tip of the ELDX. The spec sheet I was sent from the manufacturer of the rifle with suggested best quality factory ammunition listed 4-6 different types of suggested ammo for the win mag chambering in most calibers. The 300WSM had 3. My thoughts there are there that the company has done some research into what rounds hold true to there sub moa guarantees. So based upon my thoughts of the ballistics of the barnes, the expansion tip of the Hornady Im more interested in trying the Nosler’s first. With a 50 round barrel break in I’m going to start there and play around.
Old 01-21-2022, 05:17 PM

I do like accubond bullets and the Nosler trophy grade shoots pretty well, however I have never got anything close to the velocity they put on it the box.
Old 01-21-2022, 07:04 PM

I've been looking and it seems all that is left on the shelf is oddball stuff, few people want. Better take what you can get.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 01-21-2022, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Yikes 110$/box........crazy when a run of the mill mag cartridge is so expensive an average guy cant afford to practice with it.....

Yah I thought the 49.99$ box for 460gr wlngc +p 45/70 loads I bought today was stiff! Glad I reload for my rifles and that factory 45/70 was mission specific…
Old 01-21-2022, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Yah I thought the 49.99$ box for 460gr wlngc +p 45/70 loads I bought today was stiff! Glad I reload for my rifles and that factory 45/70 was mission specific…
I couldn't afford to shoot if I didn't reload.
100$/ box is a fiver every kaboom... I just about choke at 1.80$ per trigger press. I'm glad I can run certain calibers ( 30-30, 45-70)for less than a buck...handloading for my win mags is still well under 2$/shot...

Old 01-21-2022, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
I've been looking and it seems all that is left on the shelf is oddball stuff, few people want. Better take what you can get.

Grizz
About the only thing I could find that I shoot at the maggot shop is .375 h&h. Hurts buying those, but grabbed a box anyways. Pretty bare. Anyone looking for 7mm saum, they have some of those.
Old 01-21-2022, 10:44 PM

I've got 140 live rounds of 300wsm in ten different weights ranging from 130-190 grains that I can part with plus another 65 once fired pieces of brass. Only have 9 rounds of federal 180 accubonds and 5 rounds of nosler 190ablr though, but this would give you enough rounds to break in your barrel and see what bullet weights your gun likes or dislikes. Send me a pm if you are interested.
Old 01-25-2022, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post

Just got some primers from sylvestre sports they are good fast service.