Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-19-2022, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Biggest problem with using a scope reticule as a range finder is that not all deer are built to the same standards. When we were down in the lower states we kept wondering where all the mature deer were? They all looked like yearlings to myself and the wife.
I know the deer to the North of Edmonton are larger then the deer down here in the south. So a range finder is a much better choice and if your rifles PBR is say 250 yards then if you feel the deer is still to far away try getting closer.
No shame in losing an animal if you try to get with in a more comfortable shooting range, wounding one however carries a life time of regret.
My thoughts exactly! In read once where Jack O'Connor missed a bear with a mag full because when they checked the tracks , he were shooting at a younger, smaller bear than what he thought, so he shot over it
Cat
Old 01-19-2022, 01:20 PM

So what you guys are saying is theres no point on using a FFP for hunting, and I'd be better off with another rifle. I already have a range finder and good bino's, but want something quicker where I dont have to move as much. 25-06, 270, or 7RM with a fixed 6 I should be able to get a 300 yard MPBR easily, maybe even a bit further depending on zero.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 01-19-2022, 01:57 PM

Buy yourself a Burris Eliminator scope. Range, compensate, and shoot. My buddy has couple of these scopes and although I don’t like them his works very well.
Old 01-19-2022, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
So what you guys are saying is theres no point on using a FFP for hunting, and I'd be better off with another rifle. I already have a range finder and good bino's, but want something quicker where I dont have to move as much. 25-06, 270, or 7RM with a fixed 6 I should be able to get a 300 yard MPBR easily, maybe even a bit further depending on zero.
I don't see much sense in a FFP scope and using it for ranging while hunting. But some guys like them.
Way to much calculating going on for me.
A rangefinder will give you the precise distance and a center hold with dialed turret or proper hash mark with a fixed power or SFP variable works far better fir me . I really like using a duplex crosshair these days .
Cat
Old 01-19-2022, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Buy yourself a Burris Eliminator scope. Range, compensate, and shoot. My buddy has couple of these scopes and although I don’t like them his works very well.
They are very heavy, and they have had issues in cold weather.
Old 01-19-2022, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
And the glasss isn’t grea but if the op wants something fast it could be an option.
Old 01-19-2022, 02:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
You need range finding binoculars…. So Binoculars with a rangefinder built into them
Old 01-19-2022, 03:02 PM

Your 308 should get you close to a 300yd mpbr if you use a higher bc / weight ratio bullet. I use a nosler Etip 168gr. Good BC great penetration on game....range finding binos are a great suggestion but $$$. A faster flatter rifle will definitely give you an edge, but properly judging at least max distance is important. Range finders are not that hard or slow to use. At least gives you a rough idea to distance. IMO ranging with your reticle is much slower and not nearly as accurate except for perhaps judging if its inside or outside your MPBR in a hurry.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2022, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
You need range finding binoculars…. So Binoculars with a rangefinder built into them
Any recommendations? I currently run the Diamondbacks and cheap bushnell RF. Which has worked well. But I'm starting to take long range (1000+ yards) target shooting seriously so was going to upgrade the RF anyways.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 01-19-2022, 06:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Any recommendations? I currently run the Diamondbacks and cheap bushnell RF. Which has worked well. But I'm starting to take long range (1000+ yards) target shooting seriously so was going to upgrade the RF anyways.
Which ever one’s you can afford
I know a few guys with the sigs and they are pretty good
Even on sale right now

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/13056...ing-binoculars
Old 01-19-2022, 06:10 PM

The price from low quality to high end is huge. It depends what you want to spend. I bought new Leica Geovids this past fall and I think they were around $3200
Old 01-19-2022, 06:11 PM
Banned

You could even get a sig scope and it illuminates your hold over point
Old 01-19-2022, 06:29 PM

I have been using Leica Geovids for many years now , I consider them as important as my knife as part if my hunting gear
Cat
Old 01-19-2022, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Even on sale right now

As much as I'd love the Leica's those are probably more in line with my budget. How do guys find the glass on them? Similar to the diamondbacks, or would it be better?
Old 01-19-2022, 11:20 PM

My range finder was a gift from the wife they are good to 600 yards or so plenty for hunting. No it will not do long range 1000yds. plus but for hunting it is wonderful. Also if you buy a range finder look for one with a red reticule and numbers, much easier to use in the dark timber, black moose etc.

For the long range game, I am sure there are lots of good/great options but they are going to be much more expensive then the $600. dollar Leica's I use. They are a buy once cry once kind of deal, UNLESS your the kind of guy who trades his stuff every time a new product comes out.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 01-20-2022, 05:09 AM

Maybe look into a Leupold with a CDS dial. Once you get your load or use factory ammo. Send in the information for a cap that has your dope on it. All in yards so it’s a range, turn and shoot. No converting nothing or thinking in mills or MOA.
Old 01-20-2022, 05:20 AM
Banned

https://youtu.be/sJ_q_9CWIAo
Old 01-20-2022, 07:48 AM

A friend of mine bought the sig range finding binos this fall. We compared my geovids to his sig. they both read the exact same range. The glass in the sigs is not quite as good as the geovids but still pretty dam good. The vortex diamond backs aren’t even close to the sigs for clarity.
Old 01-20-2022, 07:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
A friend of mine bought the sig range finding binos this fall. We compared my geovids to his sig. they both read the exact same range. The glass in the sigs is not quite as good as the geovids but still pretty dam good. The vortex diamond backs aren’t even close to the sigs for clarity.
Ya the sigs are definitely a good value
Old 01-20-2022, 08:28 AM

Drifting away from the OP here but seems like a good time to ask...

I currently use stand alone Leica binos and rangefinder....I need to step into the rangefinding bino arena here at some point. I know what I will be getting with Leica but the Sig has received good reviews and is tough to ignore.

Does anyone know where they're made? I do know Sig has a lot of Chinese made products in their line-up.
Old 01-20-2022, 08:29 AM
Banned

I have an eliminator IV for hunting. Tried it out in the gun range. Was able to hit 600 yards gongs without issues. Though, will need to shot more with it to become more comfortable for long range hunting (800 yards max due to the cartridge I'm using).

But for under 300 yard shots for big game, it'll be not problem.
Old 01-20-2022, 01:45 PM

Quote:
If I were in your shoes, that’s what I would do.
Look at the drop chart out to 400m for a 7 rem mag with a 120gr or 140gr Barnes or a 270 launching a 110gr barnes and determine whether you can’t just hold on big game. If you’re not already reloading, I’d spend the extra money on that so you have your own supply of practice and hunting ammo then just get real familiar with it at all sorts of ranges and burn powder.

Now I know some people hunt with a setup like you started this whole conversation with but I certainly don’t. A 6.5x55 with a fixed 6x can cover a lot of hunting in this province. The 30-06 currently has a 3.5-10 but I still haven’t felt the need to burn the CDS dial for it

I also like vanilla ice cream so I’m good with being viewed as boring haha
Old 01-20-2022, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Like mounting a 5lb bazooka on top of your rifle ....
Old 01-20-2022, 02:17 PM

The reality is 95% of the shots you will take with any scope, with most modern cartridges, will be within mpbr .... and for those shots out past that range (say 300yds for arguments sake) you can dial/range/holdover or whatever you need to do.

There's also a lot less chance you are spooking the animal out that far so often have enough time to verify and adjust before you let the bullet fly.
Old 01-20-2022, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Even on sale right now

Most of the Sig 3000 binos will be dropping in price with the new better improved model coming soon.

KILO10K-ABS HD 10×42 mm laser rangefinding binocular

Supposed to be better glass, better range finder and a few new features.